Join Early Retirement Today

a Canadian calculating our FI date ~ 42yo
Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

a Canadian calculating our FI date ~ 42yo

Great site. I've enjoyed reading the many interesting topics.

My husband and I are both 32yo, and currently have 2.7 million saved (a big chunk of that thanks to this sharp rally since '09 ). We own our house and have paid off our debts. We have 3yo and 1yo children, and are currently saving about 600k a year. With a prolonged retirement and estimated yearly spending in the 250k range (current dollars...we have lots of family charity and external charity projects both current and planned), we are hoping to be FI and able to semi retire in about 10-12 years and devote most of our time to our children, our family, and charity. If not, we'll have to work a little longer.

Wish us luck, and best of luck to everyone with their well thought out plans.
ashley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

welcome and best of luck, seems like ya'll are well on your way!
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations. You have done remarkably well. FI seems well within reach at a very early age. How important is it to ER? Do you enjoy your job(s)? Is part time work, or consulting an option? You could do a lot of charity work with an extra $600k/year if you worked a little longer. Cheers.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Just curious....how do you save $600k/year? What kind of jobs do you both have?
LightningDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Congratulations. You have done remarkably well. FI seems well within reach at a very early age. How important is it to ER? Do you enjoy your job(s)? Is part time work, or consulting an option? You could do a lot of charity work with an extra $600k/year if you worked a little longer. Cheers.
We love to work right now, and it is hard to fathom stopping cold, so I envision that we will continue to work part-time for the love of it even after we are FI. These things can change though. It's hard enough to predict how I'm going to feel in a week let alone 10 years.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Just curious....how do you save $600k/year? What kind of jobs do you both have?
We are physicians.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Welcome and best of luck.

Impressive saving rate .
Isoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley7 View Post
We are physicians.
Welcome Dr. Ashley!

You and DH must be surgeons or cardiologists, because you are earning significantly more than I am! I sure hope you are incorporated!

Dr. Meadbh
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #9

32 year old doctors in Canada saving $600K a year. Are you witchdoctors? Just joking - it doesn't completely add up though? If you spend $250K, you would have to be grossing well over $1.5M/year pre-tax to save $600K/year, and to save as much as you have and paid off your debts, you must have been making that much since you got out of medical school what, 6 or 7 years ago? I'm jealous and sending my kids to Canada to become doctors!
janonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #10

I don't want to give too many details since I will expose ourselves and have provided financial details I would never share with friends or family. Nonetheless, we are in specialty fields that are highly paid. I don't know why some are paid so much more than others, but that's not why we chose our fields. Most of the money we ever make will never be spent by us, but rather put toward excellent causes, and much to our pleasure. We also donate our services to third world countries, and we will increase the amount of time we devote to this later in our careers.

For the record, most doctors don't make a lot in Canada. Most live very modest lives, and if they don't, they are the ones working into their 70's. We are unusual in that we are two, and both in specialties that pay well.

Thanks for the warm welcome, although I feel like I've known all of you for quite some time since I have been lurking for many years.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley7 View Post
..........We also donate our services to third world countries, and we will increase the amount of time we devote to this later in our careers. ...........

Please keep the US in mind.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome Ashley.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote