Join Early Retirement Today

A New Adventure Begins
Old 07-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

A New Adventure Begins

Hi, I am Dave.

I just retired Friday after working for ten years as a flying doctor with the Indian Health Service in the American Southwest. Although we had 23 tribes in our service area, I mainly worked with the Navajo, Apache, Hopi, Hualapai, and Havasupai tribes.I am actually an ophthalmologist who spent twenty-eight years working overseas in the third world.

I sailed around the world for eleven years with my family on our 39 foot catamaran, Exit Only. In the next six months I will be refitting my sailboat for another adventure.

I won't be showing up for work on Monday, and that works fine for me.

[mod edit]

I will be cutting lots of chords in the next six months, and I think your forum will help me sort things out.

Regards,

Dr. Dave
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #2

You, sir, have had a fantastic life.

Welcome, congratulations, and enjoy!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Dr. Dave, and congrats on your retirement! What kind of cat is it? Just curious as DH and I took a few years off a while back and spent it aboard a Manta around the same size as your boat. It sounds like you are set up for a wonderful and well-deserved retirement! Wishing you fair winds and following seas...
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dr. Dave,

Welcome to the new chapter of your life. I manage one website and it keeps me super busy. I cannot image doing that for 500+ active domains. You will not be bored in retirement!

Congrats and enjoy!!
Foodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Interesting life you have had.

Looks like a 38 year career in medicine you deserve time for yourself.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona View Post
Welcome Dr. Dave, and congrats on your retirement! What kind of cat is it? Just curious as DH and I took a few years off a while back and spent it aboard a Manta around the same size as your boat. It sounds like you are set up for a wonderful and well-deserved retirement! Wishing you fair winds and following seas...
It's a Privilege 39 catamaran from Jeantot Marine. It's an excellent trade wind sailing machine, and has always been safe offshore.

I sailed on the first Manta 40 in Coconut Grove,Florida when they were just starting up production. I seriously considered purchasing one as they were a robust design that would do well offshore.

I even met some people on a Manta 40 in Whangarei, New Zealand that can had been shipped there on Dockside Express for them to attend the America's cup. Nice cat.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodie View Post
Dr. Dave,

Welcome to the new chapter of your life. I manage one website and it keeps me super busy. I cannot image doing that for 500+ active domains. You will not be bored in retirement!

Congrats and enjoy!!
[mod edit]
When I was working, I felt like I needed to give something back to the world, but you can imagine how much it cost for all those domains and sites. Instead of spending over $10,000 a year on the sites, I hope to back it down to a couple of thousand - maybe something like $2000. I can take that kind of a hit and still survive financially I hope. Time will tell.

It's fun to make the sites, but I suspect that I will be out of internet range for a significant period of time. I want to sail back to Australia, and internet will be spotty for that adventure, so I am not sure how much updating will happen. I have Land Rover Defenders in Australia and New Zealand, and I want to drive at least one of them on a trip around the world. Again, internet could be spotty on such a trip. So my websites will probably send lots of time on "autopilot".
Old 07-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodie View Post
Dr. Dave,

Congrats and enjoy!!
How did you know he manages 500 active domains? Where did you see that?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote