A not-so-Young Dreamer

Linney

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi there. I'm a not-so-Young Dreamer in my mid 40's who is on the countdown to RE, maybe 2009, 2010 ? ? ? I've been lurking for a little while.... ok, ok, probably for yearrrsss now.

I've been working at "MegaCorp", living in an 8x10 cubicle with no windows for 20+ years now which we've been threatened recently (again) will be reduced to 8x6 the next time we move. Downsizing, layoffs, offshoring -- have survived them all so far. Fortunately, back in my 20's a colleague shared with me a writeup about our company's new 401k plan fund options. I read it, read it again twice more, got the point, and then marched over to personnel to switch my allocation from 20% stock / 80% stable over to 80% stock / 20% stable. Every year as I review my 401k balance and asset allocation, I breathe a quiet thanks to that colleague for sharing his knowledge with me. See! for a very few of us, the message gets through!

A divorce set me back hard and my new spouse came with few assets but a total commitment to the financial game plan that I had laid out. He's currently re-training into a new field which will allow him to choose full-time versus part-time work and will allow him to travel and work (think "traveling nurse"-type program). He'll finish his training in 2-1/2 years. That will be my first possible RE date. We won't be FI yet but we'll have ourselves set up pretty well by then so we just need to cover expenses and let the nest egg grow for another decade. I might choose to work longer but I won't HAVE to.

That's enough for now, I look forward to being an official member of the forum now.

--Linney, another LBYM software mega-corp cube dweller

Hey Linney,

Welcome! It sounds like you have a solid plan to get out of the cube farm - Congrats on that! Keep us posted on your progress - love to hear a plan come together :)

Welcome to the board, Linney... sounds like you guys have the clues and a great plan.

Linney,

Welcome. Isn't it nice to know there's light at the end of the tunnel? Since you've still got some time before you can jump clear of the cubicle, try not to get too fixated on what comes after you retire, you have a lot of living to do before then. Still, when the going gets tough, it's very comforting to know that it's not forever. And, as the years pass and the light bulb comes on for your fellow cubicle dwellers, you'll really appreciate the fact that you got started early.

Linney said:
I've been working at "MegaCorp", living in an 8x10 cubicle with no windows for 20+ years now which we've been threatened recently (again) will be reduced to 8x6 the next time we move.

--Linney, another LBYM software mega-corp cube dweller

WOW! You got an 8x10 cubie. You must be a big shot or something.:D I think where I was we finally had 4 people in 125 sq ft. Personal hygiene was very important.:p Looks like you have a good plan. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom