Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

thanks for the update. it is one of the things I enjoy reading the most. good luck to ya!
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #22

You've been successful in your other endeavors, so if you get the "investing thing" figured out, let us know how you do it.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats. You have done great financially and it is great that the quality of your life is improving and that you have less stress. Thanks for the updates.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Trying to work on putting the money to work now. To my everlasting shame, not a penny of it is invested. I've been to caught up in making it to think about what to do with it.
I guess some would say your money is indeed invested. Your cash surely outperformed some other folks' investments results in a similar time period! (From say 2000-2002, I wish I had adopted your investment strategy)
LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #25

I don't think you have anything to be ashamed about. You are doing a great job re increasing your net worth; and it is also good to hear that you have reduced your stress and are now focused more on your health. Give yourself a pat on the back.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #26

Thanks for your kinds words all.
LRDave: true. But the main problem is I only need about 350K to run the business, so the "excess" cash has not been pulling its' weight. If you average out the 21% annual return over the entire amount though, I guess it still looks okay compared to the markets.
Milton: i was raised to believe that you had to work just as "smart" as you worked "hard" I've been doing the working hard thing pretty well but not working smart. Plus, the miser in me gets angry with himself thinking about all the lost "potential" money that I could have been earning.
My corporate taxation year ends on Feb. 29 so once I have cut the disgustingly large cheque to the government for the taxes they "deserve" for last year, I'll be able to move another chunk of retained earnings over to the holding company and I'm going to finally get it invested. Probably about 700K in GICs (CDs) that are 3.5% 5 year cashables, paying annually.
The other 500K I haven't decided what to do with yet. Maybe 60%bond index, 20% cdn equity index and 20% us equity index ? Any ideas out there for a conservative, risk intolerant investor ?
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #27

Just a small update. Fiscal year ended Aug. 31 again. Figure NW after tax is around 1.775 now. Improved the quality of life substantially by moving the office 2.5KM from home last year.. so its made the job much more tolerable. The export based manufacturing economy is starting to suck wind now (that is our client base) so it is quiet compared to last year but overall revenue/profit are only down about 15% (knock on wood).
Still committed to being in the class of 2013 but had an interesting offer from a former partner last week that would essentially see us merge with his company at the end of 2013 and work part time on a few of our existing clients. It's intriguing but don't want it to end up being One More Year Syndrome. But, working part time (6-8 mos) we can probably still pull in 50-75K a year, if it was structured right and with a little luck.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

Sounds like you're making great progress. A part time job making 50-75k/yr is nothing to sneeze at. Lots of people do part-time work after they retire, nothing like continuing to work in the same field you've worked in for the past 10 years and still having the free time to "be retired."

Good luck!
jpa9022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #29

Congrats, Koogie.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #30

[QUOTE=Koogie;705596]

Started from a computer bought on my credit card in my bedroom. Didn't have a pot to piss in at the time.
+++

Koogie, I understand LBYM, and I'm glad that you are doing so well now, but did you ever get that pot?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #31

[QUOTE=redduck;1232668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

Started from a computer bought on my credit card in my bedroom. Didn't have a pot to piss in at the time.
+++

Koogie, I understand LBYM, and I'm glad that you are doing so well now, but did you ever get that pot?
LOL... several. Or it might have been an uncomfortable 10 years or so...
proud to say I didn't have to buy them on the credit card either.. ha
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #32

[QUOTE=Koogie;1232725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

LOL... several. Or it might have been an uncomfortable 10 years or so...
proud to say I didn't have to buy them on the credit card either.. ha
Thank you for your quick response. I can now rest easy.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #33

Wow.. four years since an update to this thread. Time flies faster and faster it seems and more hair falls out and/or turns white.. lol

Anyway, I am just updating this for my own "scheisserei und kichert"

It was year end again yesterday in my small business and somehow that brought this thread to mind. Hard to believe I started it eight years ago. Let's see what has changed in the last four years..

The biggest thing I suppose is my wifes health took a turn for the worse(r) in 2013/14 and the severity of it shocked us both greatly. We ended up making some sudden changes in our life (which in retrospect might have been a little rushed) and the biggest involved moving and delaying RE. I won't deny delaying RE also had a fairly hard effect on me psychologically since I had planned on doing it in 2014 and it took me about a year to make peace with it. Given the care she may need in the future though I think it was the right and prudent thing to do.

So I settled on a 5 more year plan and set about it pursuing it. We gave up the great rental on the lake near Toronto and bought a small house on the edge of a city about 50 kms away. I'm not thrilled with it (I am not an enthusiastic house owner) but it only amounts to about 15% of our net worth and DW feels happy there so it was worth it.

This meant we moved our business as well and I also went into partnership with an old business colleague and sold him 50% of the business. The health crisis reinforced to me how precarious our position was and we needed strong backup and fresh blood. Somewhat to my surprise it has gone well and will for the foreseeable future, I think. It has allowed us to have a better quality of life with more time off, less stress and actual vacations again. In fact, I only tend to work about 3 - 4 days a week at present, so I guess technically I could be called semi-RE already.

It also gave us time last fall to actually get married.. lol After 18 years of "shacking up" we had a small family sized wedding. Our remaining parents are elderly, so it was partially for their sake. So, she actually is "DW" now..

So, that is most of the changes on the home front. I am still committed to full RE at the end of 2018 (when I will be 45ish) but we'll see how life goes.

On the financial front, I have made headway as well. Until about 2012 I had none of our money invested. I began reading about personal finance, with an eye towards learning enough to be a DIY investor. I am still reading and learning 5 years later.. lol. I have a self admitted tendency toward "analysis by paralysis" and to break myself out of that in 2013 I hired a fee only Financial Planner. She did a thorough investigation and plotting of our finances and goals and helped me to write up an IPS of my own. It was money well spent.

I have swallowed the Vanguard/indexer pill whole and made that the basis of our plan moving forward. After speaking to DW, we agreed that she would be comfortable with an allocation of 60FI/40EQ based on our investable assets at the time. When the health crisis came and the 5MY plan was implemented it meant that we would have more money coming in the door for 5 years (we still basically live off the income earned each year now and don't touch the investments) So, with the help of Mr. Market the total investable sum has gone up and all extra funds I have allocated to EQ (under a "found money" theory). Hopefully that isn't self delusion but I have discussed it with DW and she is comfortable with it. So our actual allocation 3 years later is getting closer to 50/50.

I won't bother explaining the minutiae of the actual investments here other than to say we remain committed to indexing in the EQ except we are also amassing some dividend paying Canadian equities to augment our CDN index holdings. We have also fully maxed out all our tax advantaged/deferred retirement accounts. Lastly, as I said, Mr. Market has been good to us and we are up about 35% since our last posted net worth figure as well.

Apologies if you wandered in here and had to read all that...
See you in another couple years...
Old 09-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #34

Thanks for the update and I think it's a good thing you were able to diversify a bit more by selling part of the business.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about your wife's health Koogie, but applause for the good news.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Congratulations on "taking care of business",Koogie. 50k? Away from the lake? Stouville/Uxbridge?

Does your business partner share the retained earnings idea so that you draw similar amounts? Make sure you segregate the amount you had before the partnership.

Best of luck on the health issues. I am very familiar with such challenges.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
Thanks for the update and I think it's a good thing you were able to diversify a bit more by selling part of the business.
Indeed. It has reduced the stress considerably as well, which is no small thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Sorry about your wife's health Koogie, but applause for the good news.
Thank you for the kind words, sir. I hope to hear soon that your health outlook is improving !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Congratulations on "taking care of business",Koogie. 50k? Away from the lake? Stouville/Uxbridge?
Does your business partner share the retained earnings idea so that you draw similar amounts? Make sure you segregate the amount you had before the partnership.
Best of luck on the health issues. I am very familiar with such challenges.
Thank you as well, sir. Glad to have read that some of your own issues are improving.
We moved west actually, not north. Dundas, just outside Hamilton. Nice place, so far. Smaller size and a slower pace.
He is more or less in the same headspace regarding how the company should be run and with regards to retained earnings. And I "cleansed" the Opco before the partnership began and moved the remainder of my prior earnings to the Holdco. Prudence, in all things...
Old 09-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My business partner lived in Hamilton. We used to have meetings on his sailboat. When Westjet first started. I would fly into Ancaster (after relocating west) and drive the rental to his place before heading off to Toronto. The business survived until I retired ten years later. He is still working.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
My business partner lived in Hamilton. We used to have meetings on his sailboat. When Westjet first started. I would fly into Ancaster (after relocating west) and drive the rental to his place before heading off to Toronto. The business survived until I retired ten years later. He is still working.
I'm going to cherry pick the moral of your story as being if you want to retire "don't buy a sailboat" instead of "don't live in Hamilton"
Old 09-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

He is working by choice. LOL I have another friend who upgraded to a Hunter 49 to be ready for retirement. We will head out of Midland week after next, weather permitting.