Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Advise on places to retire/invest
Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Advise on places to retire/invest

Hello, I am brand new here and would appreciate advise on locations in FL forn living as well as a good investment, I am a young 60ish with family who will visit me, I am able to travel to any major airport there at anytime; here are our requirements:

1. We love the beach, so a place on water or within walking distance to beach.

2. I will not have a vehicle, must be close to supermarket, eateries, or public transport, etc.

3. I have a list of probable locations: Tampa/St Petersburg, Clearwater, Ft Myers. Cost of living a factor, in the moderate range, prefer fully furnished condo or such. I am not sold on these locations, though warm climate a must and on the gulf side; looking and appreciate your help. Thank you.
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
I have a list of probable locations: Tampa/St Petersburg, Clearwater, Ft Myers. Cost of living a factor, in the moderate range, prefer fully furnished condo or such. I am not sold on these locations.
If you have probable locations, but are not sold on them, there must be both pros and cons that got your attention when you visited those cities. More detail would help.

Meanwhile, why not introduce yourself so members can get an idea of your situation. Barging right in with specific questions can put some people off.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

As per poster, saying I was "barging in", let me be gentle.

I am looking for a place on the gulf coast of FL. I am a retiree from the travel industry of 30+years of service and have a desire to move to the area with an interest of property that would also serve as a good investment as well as a desirable location for family to visit and enjoy water sports.

Hope this suffices as an acceptable introduction and look forward to your replies, I appreciate all feedback and will also do my research I have years of experience in that field.

I have really no pros/cons, I like all the gulf coast areas, in particular nice beaches. I have visited Pensacola, so it is also in the running, looking for a fun mature group that enjoy mingling, and very friendly. I am currently looking at the areas I previously , but not sold on any, will check w/all who have vacationed in the various locations, maybe they can also provide feedback... hoping to go there in the next couple weeks, so have to work at this now. Thanks again, do not hesitate to offer any suggestions and correct me where needed.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hello, I am brand new here and would appreciate advise on locations in FL forn living as well as a good investment, I am a young 60ish with family who will visit me, I am able to travel to any major airport there at anytime; here are our requirements:

1. We love the beach, so a place on water or within walking distance to beach.

2. I will not have a vehicle, must be close to supermarket, eateries, or public transport, etc.

3. I have a list of probable locations: Tampa/St Petersburg, Clearwater, Ft Myers. Cost of living a factor, in the moderate range, prefer fully furnished condo or such. I am not sold on these locations, though warm climate a must and on the gulf side; looking and appreciate your help. Thank you.
OK. Even though I like to keep the secret - Some places to consider are 12 miles east of Jacksonville. We live at the beaches area of Jacksonville. There are a few small beach towns that are run independently from the city. They are Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach, and across the county border is Ponte Vedra. They each have their own "flavor".

We live about 2 1/2 blocks from the beach (less than 5 minutes to walk). Since our town is mainly a bedroom community the beach is almost like a semi-private beach. You are near to a military base if that is important. In each town you would always be within a mile or two from the police and fire stations.

There are lots of restaurants and every kind of store you might need within a short walk or bike ride. There are bus stops within a few blocks if you want to go into the city.

We are on the east coast but the nice thing about this area of Florida is that the last time a hurricane came through was over 50 years ago. If hurricanes come up the east coast of Florida they tend to affect either south or north of us and bounce around us. You can't say that about the Gulf side.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Try Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot

You enter information on what you want and it suggests places that meet your criteria.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi badger, thanks for posting. As a matter of fact I originally considered one of the areas you list, for the purpose of avoiding hurricanes, but wanted better beaches. Do you consider the beach/es in your area ok? I like just hanging out at water areas, but not doing water sports myself, though rest of family very much into swimming, surfing, so if you will kindly advise on the best for such activities, please post those.

What do you mean by "bedroom community"? Not necessarily interested in being near a military base, I assume in JAX...however, everything else listed is of importance needed. I will be walking or using bus for my transport, thanks for your list.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hi badger, thanks for posting. As a matter of fact I originally considered one of the areas you list, for the purpose of avoiding hurricanes, but wanted better beaches. Do you consider the beach/es in your area ok? I like just hanging out at water areas, but not doing water sports myself, though rest of family very much into swimming, surfing, so if you will kindly advise on the best for such activities, please post those.

What do you mean by "bedroom community"? Not necessarily interested in being near a military base, I assume in JAX...however, everything else listed is of importance needed. I will be walking or using bus for my transport, thanks for your list.
What I mean by bedroom community is the town consists of homeowners. There are no factories or industry. Only on the edge of town are pubs, restaurants, grocery stores, and a few small "mom and pop" businesses. The beach access is between a few of the homes at the shore line and there is no public parking so the beaches are mainly used by the neighbors who all live within walking or bicycling distance. The beach is beautiful and not crowded since it is mainly used by those who live here who sunbathe, jog, surf fish, swim, and surf.

This is true for Atlantic Beach. There will be more restaurants, pubs, etc. as you go south to the rest of the beaches and there will be public parking and access in Jacksonville Beach where most of the folks from town go.

It is always a good idea to visit any area a few different times of the year so you can make your own judgements.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

thanks for reply. I do plan to go stay at the different areas and rent before buying, but the place you mention above sounds like it will hit the spot. Not knowing much about FL, I have stayed at Pensacola, Sarasota and only know airports at the other major cities, every time I do a search I come up with a new destination....i.e., W Palm Beach.

I plan to visit several in the coming month to find the right one. Presently I am looking to rent in specific areas close to several beaches for a few months and hope to be moved there before winter starts and places become unavailable w/snow birds.

ciao
Old 08-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #9

I tend to prefer not to think of my primary home as an investment. I consider it a way of fixing the costs of something I need (shelter). Obviously, if you plan to sell in a few years, you are looking at it as an investment. If you plan to be there longer term then it's less of an investment.

If you're there shorter term, would renting work? There are none of the pesky transaction fees with renting (title transfers, transfer taxes, escrow costs, realtor fees when you sell, etc.).

Sorry this doesn't specifically address your FL location question.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

rodi, this is more of an escape from cold winters/vacation spot and not a primary home, we have that and plan to keep it, hence it will be an investment.

thanks for posting, all feedback welcome

ciao