Age 32--should I spend my FU money?

Update: The family business situation could not have gotten nastier. I refused on many occasions to make a capital contribution. Instead, I proposed many solutions, including me providing all of the needed cash flow with a guarantee that paying me back had priority over all other expenses. They refused to accept anything other than an equal contribution. They also pushed me to withdraw. I refused. They ended up going most of 2018 without drawing a paycheck. This was after they bled the company’s capital (about $60k). They both wrote me nastygram emails, even a certified letter at one point. My brother never threatened it directly to my face, but he told his kids he was going to sue me. I consistently told them their time would be better spent finding new customers, which they never did.

My brother recently quit to take a job in another industry. My sister is still running the “company” making a few hundred bucks a week.

Relationships are destroyed. I’m alienated by most of my dad’s side of the family and not on speaking terms with my dad or siblings. The business conflict was a big part of this, but there was related drama involving two of my brothers ex-wives and me supporting them in custody modifications (he’s a worse parent than he is a business manager). Long story for another day.

It got really, really bad. For example, my siblings learned my net worth as part of a bank document. Both my siblings have used that to disparage me, telling family members I must have done something illegal to amass so much.

Things at the new gig are great. I’ve moved up the ranks and making close to $70k/year.

Net worth is $1.389M. Expenses are averaging about $60,000/year over the last few years.

I have a beautiful, loving wife and kiddos and thankful for that above everything else.

Wow.
Bully for you on keeping your eye on the prize: Your immediate family (the one you chose), your health, and your career. Keep doing the right thing and working hard, and your luck should hold well enough.

Isn't it disheartening when people live up to your disheartening low expectations. Sorry this happened and hopefully you can have a complete and happy life without these people in it.

Back
Top Bottom