Join Early Retirement Today

Almost 31 and Planning in CA
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Almost 31 and Planning in CA

Hello All,

I am a wife, mom, and Realtor and want to aggressively save for our retirement. I am in my planning infancy. I look forward to reading all your views and learning from what you share as I peruse through the site.

All the Best,

Valia
Valia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Valia - you have already done the hardest part - making the decision to aggressively save. Once you make that committment, you are on your way.

I know that in your biz there can be a wide income fluctuation from year to year. So this may or may not help... what I did, was started funding (in my case) a 401k as much as I could aford. Well, actually a bit more than that. Then, each year I would tickle it up. Any salary adjustments - 50% went to the 401k. So my income level grew fairly slowly until I was maxxing out the plans. We were 35 when this plan started and when I retired had stashed away $750k, and paid off the house to boot.

We ended up doing more "free" things for fun. We DID do a "round the USA" trip with our kids, but we camped along the way to cut costs. BBQ for meals etc. So we did not need to COMPLETELY deprive ourselves - just made conscious choices to live an inexpensive lifestyle.

The most fun is to watch the balance grow... have fun!
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum, Valia.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

You may want to read the wiki over at Bogleheads.org
I wish I had known about investing in index funds when I was younger.
Bogleheads

As it was I saved aggressively since my first job.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valia View Post
Hello All,

I am a wife, mom, and Realtor and want to aggressively save for our retirement. I am in my planning infancy. I look forward to reading all your views and learning from what you share as I peruse through the site.

All the Best,

Valia
Welcome and good luck with the planning. You should find a great deal of help on this site as you progress towards FIRE. Enjoy the ride!
GD
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you, all so much! I will definitely do the recommended research and share if I come across anything worthwhile somewhere else.

There's a pretty substantial wealth of knowledge right here on these forums, so you all keep me really busy in the research phase! (I am also saving now, just learning about all the potential vehicles right now.)

I'm not great with the shorthand stuff, so I am referencing the acronym guide a lot.

Godspeed to you all!

Val
Valia is offline   Reply With Quote