Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Tropitan:

Are there any serious reasons why you want to leave Kona? If you have a home paid for that is good right? Is healthcare and issue? Other than the reasons you specified in the OP. you can always visit the family, or have them visit you.
My biggest reason for leaving is to cash out my equity. Plus, I still have a mortgage that I cannot hope to pay off anytime soon.
Perhaps more seriously, there are some environmental concerns here which could soon have a huge impact on property values: Namely coqui frogs and Little Fire Ants.
tropitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 11:52 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

We moved to Kona 2 years ago from Oregon (19 years there). The weather and increasing traffic is going to be hard to get use to after living in Kona. I can’t imagine moving back—visit yes, but not year round. Make sure you can deal with the lack of sunshine in the winter months.
sunandfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in Oregon and would not recommend moving here. I'm probably going to be moving out in a couple of years. Real estate is expensive, the weather leaves much to be desired, and huge tax increases are on the horizon. I've lived here since 1965 and watched what was once a beautiful state decline. I unfortunately don't see any hope for it.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We will be staying in Kapolei for a couple of weeks in June. Looking forward to catching up on some of my favorite flavors. Loco Moco, Ramen Ya, Haleiwa Joe's prime rib, Teddy's bigger burgers. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
I live in Oregon and would not recommend moving here. I'm probably going to be moving out in a couple of years. Real estate is expensive, the weather leaves much to be desired, and huge tax increases are on the horizon. I've lived here since 1965 and watched what was once a beautiful state decline. I unfortunately don't see any hope for it.
Just curious..if not staying in Oregon, where would you go?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandfish View Post
We moved to Kona 2 years ago from Oregon (19 years there). The weather and increasing traffic is going to be hard to get use to after living in Kona. I can’t imagine moving back—visit yes, but not year round. Make sure you can deal with the lack of sunshine in the winter months.
How are you liking Kona? We have been here 18 years. It's funny how a place can become stale; the grass is always greener etc. We are both ready for a change in latitude, for sure.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropitan View Post
We have been here 18 years. It's funny how a place can become stale; the grass is always greener etc. We are both ready for a change in latitude, for sure.
Where in Kona are you? We have looked at homes North Kona and a little south. $850k seems like a good number for a reasonable place. (Zillow)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you for this thread and best of luck you you with your plans!

I have been toying with the thought of snowbirding on Hawaii one year. From Norway it's on the other side of the world and extra exotic. And I have a few cousins in Honolulu I've never met.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

I have been toying with the thought of snowbirding on Hawaii one year. From Norway it's on the other side of the world and extra exotic. And I have a few cousins in Honolulu I've never met.
Ah, I thought you said snowboarding! Well, you can do that for a few days a year here!

What do you like to do? Each island is unique and is better for something (Oahu's best for surfing and shopping, Maui for windsurfing, Hawaii Island for scuba diving, etc.).
Old 05-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post

This is an interesting post.... I am wondering if anyone that has lived in any location since 1965, would not care for the changes that have taken place since then. I am sure that they could say almost the same things as you said regardless of location... I think real estate is expensive anywhere that is desirable to live. (I am sure that you could find cheap real estate in areas such as rural Nebraska or Kansas or other areas that are not 'hot areas' to live in).

If you think the winters in Oregon are tough, try Minnesota where I live. (Our solution is not to move permanently, but only to leave during the winter). Also Minnesota's Taxes are higher than Oregon overall Minnesota is #5 and Oregon is #30 -- https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/ ----

We're not leaving Minnesota in spite of the Weather, The Taxes etc.... Mostly because other places have different problems. South Florida has Nice weather, but has other issues etc.

The question I have for you, is where will you move to and have you examined that destination's problems? -
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Where in Kona are you? We have looked at homes North Kona and a little south. $850k seems like a good number for a reasonable place. (Zillow)
Yes, 850 will get you a nice place in or around Kona. We actually live in Holualoa, 1500' above Kona in the 'coffee belt', on three acres. We built a house on it in 2004 and have enjoyed it very much. Zillow prices are fairly accurate here. PM me if you want more detailed info. Zillow prices seem to be accurate here.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

Yes, you would be amazed how many folks I run into almost every day, it seems, who snowbird here from colder climes. I highly recommend Kona area for rest and relaxation. Very 'small town' vibe here.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
This is an interesting post.... I am wondering if anyone that has lived in any location since 1965, would not care for the changes that have taken place since then. I am sure that they could say almost the same things as you said regardless of location... I think real estate is expensive anywhere that is desirable to live. (I am sure that you could find cheap real estate in areas such as rural Nebraska or Kansas or other areas that are not 'hot areas' to live in).

If you think the winters in Oregon are tough, try Minnesota where I live. (Our solution is not to move permanently, but only to leave during the winter). Also Minnesota's Taxes are higher than Oregon overall Minnesota is #5 and Oregon is #30 -- https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/ ----

We're not leaving Minnesota in spite of the Weather, The Taxes etc.... Mostly because other places have different problems. South Florida has Nice weather, but has other issues etc.

The question I have for you, is where will you move to and have you examined that destination's problems? -
I agree, Cut-Throat. Having left California in 2001 when the population was about 30mil, then going back to visit last year where it is closer to 40 million, I could never go back. I think no matter where you decide to call home, one has to compromise with the local conditions be they good or bad.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:03 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropitan View Post
Hello all,
My wife and I are both 59 and relatively new to the FIRE concept. I am looking forward to retirement in the next couple of years, and am seriously considering relocating to Oregon (Possibly the Willammette Valley, maybe Eugene). If anyone from Oregon has some words of wisdom in that regard, please respond.
Likewise, if anyone is considering a move to Hawaii (esp. the Big Island), feel free to ask any questions you may have. We have been here almost 20 years from California.
Thanks for your warm welcome!
WOW Hawaii :-) Been there on the Big Island several times and loved it while I was stationed at Pearl during my Navy days, although not sure I could afford living there full time.... lol.
Like yourselves, I will be 59 in July and DW is already 65 and we both retire next year around this time frame. We also loved Washington State and Oregon area, although sometimes the weather is dreary and damp. We actually settled in Virginia for several reasons. In any case, welcome to the forum and I wish you guys all the best.
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #35

DW and I love Kona and have visited at least 6 times. I love going to the Volcano park, being a mining engineer, I love all things geology! We enjoy the poke' and love hikink the Pololu Trail!

Any suggestions about Molokai? We'd love to check it out for a week but have heard conflicting stories. Thanks in advance.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Oh, welcome btw. You will LOVE this forum. One of the better one's on the internet today, well moderated and cared for.
+1 on this. Great forum, wonderful folks. Sometimes even funny...
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
DW and I love Kona and have visited at least 6 times. I love going to the Volcano park, being a mining engineer, I love all things geology! We enjoy the poke' and love hikink the Pololu Trail!

Any suggestions about Molokai? We'd love to check it out for a week but have heard conflicting stories. Thanks in advance.
We lived on Molokai for 2 months last winter... We liked it and will go back for another winter in a few years... It is not for everyone however. Tell me the conflicting stories you've heard and I can validate them for you.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where in Oregon are you headed too? There is such a variety of climates in the state, its not all dark and cloudy! Although, enjoying the rain and fresh air does have benefits! For instance, in Portland and surrounding area, you can be one hour from the beach, one hour from the mountains and skiing, a couple hours to the desert, less than an hour to the vineyards.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Where in Oregon are you headed too? There is such a variety of climates in the state, its not all dark and cloudy! Although, enjoying the rain and fresh air does have benefits! For instance, in Portland and surrounding area, you can be one hour from the beach, one hour from the mountains and skiing, a couple hours to the desert, less than an hour to the vineyards.
Thanks, considering the southern Willamette Valley, for its relatively cheaper housing compared to Portland area. Al!so for all the benefits you just described! We have finally been priced out of Hawaii.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Born/raised in Honolulu. Retired, sold the house and made enough to purchase a house in Las Vegas (which we kama’ainas affectionately call “the ninth island”) and a condo in Waikiki (second home). Did a years worth of research prior to pulling the trigger to relocate and decided that Las Vegas (Summerlin) gave us the best of both worlds. Thoroughly do your homework if considering a permanent move to the 50th state...all the good and bad ‘stories’ that you’ve heard about Hawaii...are mostly true.
Mr808702 is offline   Reply With Quote