Join Early Retirement Today

Aloha from Hawaii!!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Aloha from Hawaii!!

Hello all,
My wife and I are both 59 and relatively new to the FIRE concept. I am looking forward to retirement in the next couple of years, and am seriously considering relocating to Oregon (Possibly the Willammette Valley, maybe Eugene). If anyone from Oregon has some words of wisdom in that regard, please respond.
Likewise, if anyone is considering a move to Hawaii (esp. the Big Island), feel free to ask any questions you may have. We have been here almost 20 years from California.
Thanks for your warm welcome!

tropitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why the serious consideration? Is it COL, quality of life (QOL) factoring in?

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

Oh, welcome btw. You will LOVE this forum. One of the better one's on the internet today, well moderated and cared for.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropitan View Post
Hello all,
My wife and I are both 59 and relatively new to the FIRE concept. I am looking forward to retirement in the next couple of years, and am seriously considering relocating to Oregon (Possibly the Willammette Valley, maybe Eugene). If anyone from Oregon has some words of wisdom in that regard, please respond.
Likewise, if anyone is considering a move to Hawaii (esp. the Big Island), feel free to ask any questions you may have. We have been here almost 20 years from California.
Thanks for your warm welcome!

We just spent the winter in Hawaii... 2 months on Molokai and 6 weeks on Maui.... Next time we winter in Hawaii we are thinking about 6 weeks on the Big Island and 2 months again in Molokai.... My question to you is where would you recommend we stay on the Big Island for 6 weeks (We only want to stay in 1 location, as moving is a hassle - even for snowbirds).
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

The quick answer is: I want to turn my real estate equity, about $1mil, into retirement income and debt-free, down-sized housing in Oregon, where we have family.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow! You picked wonderful spots to over-winter. Hawaii island has two climatic zones, in general: The leeward side for lots of year-round rain, and the Kona side for endless days of sunshine. BTW Kona is the only place in Hawaii where the seasons are reversed. Our rainy season is Apr. thru Oct., where as the dry season is Oct thru Apr.
I highly recommend Kona! Plus easy flights from the mainland.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe not words of wisdom, but personal observation. As we lived in Oregon, we watched not a few people move in, only to leave after a year or two. The scenery is awesome, but the price is overcast, gloomy skies for ~8 continuous months out of the year. It didn't bother me, but it can be very depressing for some. So maybe the word of wisdom is to not buy a house immediately, but do a test run for a year or two, to make sure you'll be OK with the weather.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
.................... The leeward side for lots of year-round rain, and the Kona side for endless days of sunshine. ................................
wen you buggas went switch um around? las time I wen look, prevailing winds was NE ...........maybe you guys only been there 20days?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #9

Lol, droppin pidgin brah maui no ko oi!

Old 05-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #10

Aloha, from Oahu! Good luck with the wetter, cooler climate. Beautiful, though. How's the VOG these days? I've been wanting to retire over in Kona, but the last time I was there, Fissure 8 was quite active, along with the VOG!
Old 05-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Maybe not words of wisdom, but personal observation. As we lived in Oregon, we watched not a few people move in, only to leave after a year or two. The scenery is awesome, but the price is overcast, gloomy skies for ~8 continuous months out of the year. It didn't bother me, but it can be very depressing for some. So maybe the word of wisdom is to not buy a house immediately, but do a test run for a year or two, to make sure you'll be OK with the weather.
Excellent advice, and yes, already planning a 'temporary' relocation there to see if the shoes fit. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
wen you buggas went switch um around? las time I wen look, prevailing winds was NE ...........maybe you guys only been there 20days?
HaHa, yes everyone is surprised by that. It's an easy google search to find the rainfall by month for Kona. Aloha!
Old 05-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Aloha, from Oahu! Good luck with the wetter, cooler climate. Beautiful, though. How's the VOG these days? I've been wanting to retire over in Kona, but the last time I was there, Fissure 8 was quite active, along with the VOG!
Aloha, yes the VOG was bad for years, but since fissure 8 abruptly stopped a few months ago, the air is nearly as good as yours in Honozulu
Sorry, 'Honozoolu'
Old 05-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #14

Tropitan:

Are there any serious reasons why you want to leave Kona? If you have a home paid for that is good right? Is healthcare and issue? Other than the reasons you specified in the OP. you can always visit the family, or have them visit you.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
HaHa, yes everyone is surprised by that. It's an easy google search to find the rainfall by month for Kona. Aloha!
Not questioning the seasonal rainfall pattern..........just questioning whether the leeward side is the rainy side.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
We just spent the winter in Hawaii... 2 months on Molokai and 6 weeks on Maui.... Next time we winter in Hawaii we are thinking about 6 weeks on the Big Island and 2 months again in Molokai.... My question to you is where would you recommend we stay on the Big Island for 6 weeks (We only want to stay in 1 location, as moving is a hassle - even for snowbirds).
What do you do on Molokai for two months?
Old 05-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I spent the better part of 8 hours there, once!
Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I would imagine not much.....relax
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #19

Quote:

We like 'island time' .... I like the Bonefishing,,, We like the scenery etc.... Laid Back, no traffic etc.

Maui was too much of a 'Zoo' for us...
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Not questioning the seasonal rainfall pattern..........just questioning whether the leeward side is the rainy side.
Thanks for the correction, I got it backwards.