Join Early Retirement Today

..already retired. left PO 12/11
Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

..already retired. left PO 12/11

Hi. looks like this is a site with lots of pre-retirement info; but just found it.

left the PO at EOY. had that date in mind for a long time. guess I missed a buyout, too. oh, well; meant too much to get out of there to wait around for something that might or might not happen. money's not everything and I'm glad I left when I did.

in North Coast, NY with plans to winter in AZ. already went there last Mar & bought a place in Q-town. staying here this year til after xmas, but may leave earlier in years down the road.

looks like this site is set up for a lot of financial talk and info. don't think I need much help there; not rich, just happy with what I have set up. so I'll prolly just pop in the social-type forums (fora?) once in a while

cya there
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the site
Old 09-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome, neighbor. I'm SE of Syracuse.

So does the PO in your thread title "left PO" stand for Post Office or PO'd ? Or both?

I haven't bitten the snowbird bullet yet...but you just never know.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

the PO is Post Office; god-awful place to work, and getting worse.

as for snowbirding, I know most folks on this coast choose FL or Carolinas, but I just love the desert
Old 09-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb391 View Post
looks like this site is set up for a lot of financial talk and info.
Actually, it's mostly a venue for talking about bacon.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
the PO is Post Office; god-awful place to work, and getting worse.

as for snowbirding, I know most folks on this coast choose FL or Carolinas, but I just love the desert
Welcome to the forum, drb391. Which desert do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Actually, it's mostly a venue for talking about bacon.
That, and trying to answer the question " pay off the mortgage early or invest the cash..."
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

thanx, micheal. I meant any desert, as opposed to being from the east. got a place in Q-town (Quartzsite), so I'll start from there & explore outward. haven't been there for more than a month at a time yet. this'll be my first winter.

as for the other, paid off the house with a lump sum partial from TSP, so all that's left is taxes, ins, and maint/incidentals.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
thanx, micheal. I meant any desert, as opposed to being from the east. got a place in Q-town (Quartzsite), so I'll start from there & explore outward. haven't been there for more than a month at a time yet. this'll be my first winter.

as for the other, paid off the house with a lump sum partial from TSP, so all that's left is taxes, ins, and maint/incidentals.
Why Q-Town?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After reading your post, I Google'd "Q-Town", and found Quartzsite, AZ. Interesting...I'm putting it on my list of places to check out when I'm done working. I'm a soon-to-be ex-fed too. Welcome to the forum!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

houston - cuz I prefer out in the middle of nowhere as opposed to city, like Phx. can get city here on the right coast. and have family in area

martyb - thx. do I recognize that name from somewhere else? Fedsoup? Qtopics? yes, it's an interesting place. was test for camels being used by the army in 1800s. and the pop. swells from ~3600 to lord-knows-what in the winter. heard estimates of 200k-1m. imagine the high end is exaggerated.

and I just love the name of the guy who brought the camels - Hi Jolly (Hadj Ali) lol