Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Another FIRE wannabe
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Another FIRE wannabe

Hi, I've been lurking on this board for years. Every so often I see a topic that I'd like to chime in on, but I haven't introduced myself yet, so let's get it out of the way!

I'm a 34 year old male living in NYC, net worth around $850K, and comfortable with my finances and investments. My FIRE goal range is about 1.2-1.5 million... admittedly on the low end for this forum, but I feel filthy rich whenever I visit the Midwest so with ObamaCare it could happen For the moment my job is tolerable, and I'm not hellbent on retiring by a specific date, so I feel like I'm in a good place.

I haven't mentioned my domestic partner yet - we've been together almost a decade, and we keep our finances separate. I will likely hit FI some 15 years before him. It's a long story... when we met, his income and assets were higher, but he took some career risks to find a job he liked better and got hit badly by the 2008 recession. On the bright side, early retirement was never a goal for him, and he enjoys his job now, so it's working out for us.

Anyway, I love reading these forums. There's so much media brainwashing people to work these days, but this is about the only place I know where you can post about quitting your job and you'll be applauded for it! I look forward to interacting more with the wise people here.
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the boards. You'll love the Midwest .
Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard. I would have liked to live in NYC or a world-class city during my adult years, but it's not going to happen now, my career always took me near large cities but never close enough to live in one. I'm about an hour out of Chicago now and I've lived about half my life in the Midwest. The COL is nice but there are advantages and disadvantages to any city or state IMHO. Best of luck, may not take that long to get from $850K from $1.2-1.5M and FI.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Welcome and good luck - you are not that far away. But is your partner tied to NYC for his job? That could put a hold on the midwest.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hi, popcorn, and welcome to the Early Retirement Forum!

You are SO right about the lower cost of living in the Midwest, especially in small towns. But then, if your partner plans to keep working for another 15 years in NYC, then I assume you plan to stay in NYC during that time. If so, the difference in cost of living will not be much help.

Either way you are making great progress towards your ER goal.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote