Join Early Retirement Today

Another Military Early Retiree
Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Another Military Early Retiree

Well I finally did it and registered with the board. After surfing around it for almost three months. First of all I am a E-7 retired from the AF in 2005 after 20 years of service. I am currently working in a WG-09 Civil Service position. I plan on fully retiring in 2014 after my DW retires form her job. She will retire in 2013.

We live and plan on staying Germany after my Civil Service time is up. I can only stay in this civil service position 5 years but, my extension looks real good which will take me to 2014. I will be 48 years old.

My retirment income currently is 1700 plus my 60% disability from the VA of 1046. I have money in mutual funds Roth IRA and money in my TSP. I am saving 70% of my Civil Service money into a taxable account. I want two years of expenses in this account. I have run my budget for over a year and we can live on my retirement and her's no problem and actually save some money.

I was wondering if any other Enlisted types are on this board? I see there are a few previosly enlisted people that are now officers.

Thank you Nords for you advice. Looking forward to posting and getting some advice. I can also help out with anybody interested in living in Germany.
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome from a native German, living in Germany.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Diesel!

There are almost enough ER posters in Germany to start planning the chapter meeting...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Diesel,

Retired AF in 1996 after 20 years; DW is currently ANG and Civil Service Tech with ANG WG-09 she will retire in 2014 with 30 years Military time and 20 years Civil Service time. She also had 14 years Active duty AF.

We are talking about moving to Italy or Ireland.

She spent some time in Bitburg during first Gulf War and really loved it, but I am trying to avoid the snow shoveling so I don't think Germany will be on our to visit list during the winter months.

What do you see as an advantage staying in Germany over going back to US or some other places in Europe?
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

I was actually stationed in Bitburg during that time. The world is small. For me it easier life style and all my hobbies are out my front door literally. I am also married to a German and speak the language. I learned German. While being stationed over here for 12 years. The housing cost are not that bad either. Since my job is on base it helps with tax free purchases. Family is in Florida and with insurance cost and property taxes there it is cheaper here in Germany. I know of some expats in England they enjoy it there also. Living here is not as expensive as you would think. But, we have the best of both worlds being able to get gas on the base and buy things at the Commissary. We also shop at Aldi and Lidl quite a bit.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Diesel,

Will you still be able to use the Commissary and base gas station once you retire. We were on vacation in England and we went to Mildenhal AB and were told we could not use the BX because of the SOF Agreements. Has this changed, because if it has we would be looking to be closer to the one of the bases in Europe when we retire. Also have you looked at the TRICare Europe insurance yet. I was reading through it, but still had a lot of questions.

Get to hear that you like Germany, we liked it too when were there, I was a Flight Engineer on C-130s and would do rotations to Mildenhal AB every other year and we spent a lot of time in Germany.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #7

We will be able to use the commissary if we get the German tax card. It is a red card that your suppose to pay tax on the stuff purchased there. Gas will not be able to be purchased, but we won't be driving as much. I am near a base and have Tricare standard I have had no problem getting seen. Even had knee surgery about 2 years ago. VA also takes care of the problems that I have that are service connected. The doctors on the base will try everything to get you into Landstuhl.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Well I finally did it and registered with the board.
Welcome!! Great place for info and amusement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I see there are a few previosly enlisted people that are now officers.
You say that is like a bad thing?? I'm one of those - should I be offended about this lobotomy??

All joking aside - welcome!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I will need to check into the use of the commissary and such if we decide to move to Italy. Do you go to the base doctors or directly off base to be seen for non-service connected stuff. I have 20% VA service-connected so they should still take care of that.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired Navy E-7 here. Age 58, retired age 45. Single, living on my pension and a small inheritance/inherited home. No stocks/investments. It can be done.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #12

Welcome aboard. I very well may take orders to Germany for my next tour.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #13

I go directly to the base for all my needs. I have seen the Dr. off base once and the visit cost me 36 Euro. Thats around 50 bucks. Health care here is not bad. Dental is also not bad either. It cost me 60 Euro for a cleaning and check up.

Nah I worked with all kinds of officers. Prior enlisted officers usually were one extreme or the other. I will leave that to your interpertation. Some were great and some were well you know. Maybe deep down inside I wished I would have done it.

Tags
enlisted