Join Early Retirement Today

Another new guy
Old 06-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another new guy

I thought it was about time to go public after lurking for about two years.

My situation is that I am a 59 yo retired financial consultant. I have been retired about two and a half years and my DW is a retired teacher.
We both retired earlier that we had planned due to medical problems.

We are blessed and fortunately have enough income to live comfortably.

I must say that I have acquired a lot of useful financial information from this board. The types of info that is not usually taught to fc's. There is a wealth of information available to those who seek advice. I continue to be impressed by the unselfish attitude of many members who strive to help those seeking knowledge.

Best regards,

2soon2tell
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Another new guy
Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board. I agree it is a great source of information and entertainment.

You've probably noticed that there is considerable uhh.. ummm... reluctance around here regarding financial advisors. Most have gotten to ER without financial consultants, and those few who have tried to sell something here have gotten skewered for the most part. So don't take it personally if a few rabid replies pop up. I sense from your introductor post that you are sensitive to these issues, and I for one would enjoy the perspective of someone with your background.

So, have the first few years of retirement gone pretty much as you thought they would, or were there some real-world surprises?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

Rabid rabid rabid rabid rabid rabid!!!

So that's how it's spelled.

heh heh heh heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

unclemick, you crack me up!
Yipee-Ki-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Hmmmm...Rabid rabid rabid rabid rabid rabid!!! ...So that's how it's spelled.

Down boy, down.
Sit. Stay.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, 2soon.

It's frightening to think that you made it through an entire career as a financial consultant without being exposed to most of the info on this board. Doesn't someone owe you a warranty refund or something?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords,

I'm afraid I left you with the wrong impression. I did not mean to imply that I acquired most of my knowledge after leaving my job as an FC. That is not the case at all. But you would be surprised at how little some licensed brokers know about investment topics. They are first last and always salespeople who have securities licenses. They are paid on production (commissions) and not on customer satisfaction.

From my observations the contributing members on this board know more than most of the FC's that I met over the years.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell
Nords,

I'm afraid I left you with the wrong impression.* I did not mean to imply that I acquired most of my knowledge after leaving my job as an FC.* That is not the case at all.* But you would be surprised at how little some licensed brokers know about investment topics.* They are first last and always salespeople who have securities licenses.* They are paid on production (commissions) and not on customer satisfaction.*

From my observations the contributing members on this board know more than most of the FC's that I met over the years.
Well, that pretty much sums it up for me, WOW ...right out of the horses mouth (sorry, no offense)...gotta do this on my own, I value my $$$ way too much to give it to someone seeking a commision off my money, and not my best interests.*
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hi | Hello! »