Join Early Retirement Today

Another (somewhat) young dreamer...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Another (somewhat) young dreamer...

Hello All! Another longtime lurker coming out into the open here. I'm 39 and a manager in the healthcare field in Ontario. My partner (40 yrs old) and I have been good savers forever, although we aren't afraid to spend on vacations and quality electronics and housewares. We have a combined NW of over $1Mill with our only debt being a car loan at 0.9%. We think we're headed in the right direction (and just hope that the markets will turn around and follow!).

I am fairly certain that I'd like to pull the plug at 45ish, but my partner is addicted to his job and won't commit to a date at this point. This is fine with me, because it will give me a chance to test our spending before we are both jobless (and maybe he'll see how much fun I'm having and decide to join me). Anyone else in this situation with their partners?

I've really enjoyed the back-and-forth that happens on this forum. It can be motivating and/or at least give me a good laugh most days!
RE@45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. Note that value of your home (as part of net worth) doesn't help much unless you are planning on selling it. Hopefully you have had a chance to run firecalc or similar to get a feel for where you are.

My wife is about 8 years from being eligible for full retirement benefits and I've been retired almost a year. So far it works for us, though there are days when she is envious. I try to make it as easy for her as I can by shouldering the load of most domestic tasks. I'm sure that for every couple it is a slightly different story.

Good luck.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks Travelover;
We actually rent our home (quite near to our work) so we don't have a home to include in our NW. We do save just under 50% of our take-home pay each month, so I think that this has contributed to our NW substantially. My partner has done this since he started working in high school and he got me into this plan when we met. He's an original LBYMer!
RE@45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the board. Sounds like a good plan. That is essentially what my wife and I did -- but 20 years your senior. I retired three years ago and told her she could too. But she wanted an extra measure of security and stayed on. She switched to part time this year and plans to pull the plug next year. My positive reaction has definitely encouraged her.