Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

"The only thing that bothered me in the initial post was solely the phrase Quote:
we decided a two career family meant someone else raising our kids"

OK, but I figured the "our" was pretty specific to Our situation, not a judgement on others. Anyway, spent way too much time on this already. Have a good one.

IP
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As with some others in this thread, I'm a veteran of TMF's REHP. I discovered it when I Googled "early retirement" and was lead to John Greaney's REHP and devoured all the info he had compiled. A short time later, he moved the Q&A portion of his REHP to TMF. I really learned an awful lot from John G., Dory and many others who posted about FIRE and that helped me to come up with a specific plan for ER. I was saving/investing a large portion of my income already, so I was already on the right track.

I became less and less interested in the site as it became a forum for both left-wing and right-wing rants. (Although the right eventually hijacked the board, interest was a pretty vociferous anti-Bush poster.)

Today, 10 years into retirement, the only financial sites I regularly visit are this one and Bogleheads. But for several years the old TMF REHP was a wonderful source of information and enjoyment for me.

BTW, I posted as jtmitch for most of my time there.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I became less and less interested in the site as it became a forum for both left-wing and right-wing rants. (Although the right eventually hijacked the board, interest was a pretty vociferous anti-Bush poster.)
Yes, and IIRC the right wing "reaction" really took off as a result of Greaney's constant rants about "Dumbya" and "Deceitful Dick". And not only did it take off, but intercst discovered he was outgunned and outnumbered, started hanging out elsewhere and left.

It's an interesting case study into who throwing politics into the ring, especially when combined with the relative anonymity of the Internet, can turn a formerly pleasant, mostly on-topic community into a toxic brew of insults, intolerance and disrespect.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yes, and IIRC the right wing "reaction" really took off as a result of Greaney's constant rants about "Dumbya" and "Deceitful Dick". And not only did it take off, but intercst discovered he was outgunned and outnumbered, started hanging out elsewhere and left.

It's an interesting case study into who throwing politics into the ring, especially when combined with the relative anonymity of the Internet, can turn a formerly pleasant, mostly on-topic community into a toxic brew of insults, intolerance and disrespect.
Yes; and I almost mentioned in my post that the right wing reaction might have been just that - a reaction to what intercst was posting. Not 100% sure it was cause and effect but I think it likely was. And I agree it's an interesting case study. I'm glad to see that this site has a forum specifically for political posts (I've never been there) and that Bogleheads is really hard-core about closing threads and/or deleting posts when things turn too political. I've got nothing against political discourse but just want to read it where I expect to, not on sites/boards that have been created for entirely different reasons.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Yes; and I almost mentioned in my post that the right wing reaction might have been just that - a reaction to what intercst was posting. Not 100% sure it was cause and effect but I think it likely was. And I agree it's an interesting case study. I'm glad to see that this site has a forum specifically for political posts (I've never been there) and that Bogleheads is really hard-core about closing threads and/or deleting posts when things turn too political. I've got nothing against political discourse but just want to read it where I expect to, not on sites/boards that have been created for entirely different reasons.
And for those who aren't aware of it, there are limits to the scope and tone of political discussions here. They have to be at least reasonably linked to issues concerning retirement and they need to be civil and respectful. And they need to be "quarantined" to the FIRE-related politics board.

As for Bogleheads, at least they are consistent -- they pretty much put the hammer down and close/delete *anything* not on topic, whether it's politics or puppies.

I've just seen too many communities blow up, so many cordial and respectful acquaintances turn mean and nasty because of it all.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #46

"Don't blame me - I voted for Willie Nelson."

(Bumper sticker seen on the back of a truck in my neighborhood).

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Jtmitch, aka friar1610, great to see you again! I went through a period of mourning as the REHP morphed into something intolerable. Missed my friends. Glad to see so many familiar names here.

IP
Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

While politics discussion certainly were a factor in the demise of REHP, the thing that kills online community just like real communities was lack of new blood.

In the early 2000s, TMF seeing their business model of pushing DIY investing was not generating revenue, struggled to find a way to make some $. Noticing that their boards were among the most popular feature on the site and at the time the most popular for investing decided to start charging for access to the forums. The rolled out their charge scheme over a couple years and granted lots of folks a free year. That essentially stopped new people from coming.

The problem with retirement financially planning discussion isn't like cars, or stocks, or football, or American Idol there isn't a lot of new stuff to discuss. (The board does a very good job of scouring the net for new news). So without new topics or new members people end up telling and listening to the same stories. I know I repeat the same stories I try to and do it no more than once a year per story and only in a thread which has some new members. Can't do that without same old crew.

Politics helped convince old members to leave, but the lack of new members was the real of cause of death. I don't spend much time on the Boglehead because they limit the discuss so dramatically. I wish there was more latitude here, but the moderation isn't excessive.

I still follow the TMF Berkshire board, there hasn't been more than a couple of new posters a year for a decade, and very little political discussion. The Intel board which use to get 100 posts a week, I just checked had 89 since I last visited it back in March 2013.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
While politics discussion certainly were a factor in the demise of REHP, the thing that kills online community just like real communities was lack of new blood.

In the early 2000s, TMF seeing their business model of pushing DIY investing was not generating revenue, struggled to find a way to make some $. Noticing that their boards were among the most popular feature on the site and at the time the most popular for investing decided to start charging for access to the forums. The rolled out their charge scheme over a couple years and granted lots of folks a free year. That essentially stopped new people from coming.

The problem with retirement financially planning discussion isn't like cars, or stocks, or football, or American Idol there isn't a lot of new stuff to discuss. (The board does a very good job of scouring the net for new news). So without new topics or new members people end up telling and listening to the same stories. I know I repeat the same stories I try to and do it no more than once a year per story and only in a thread which has some new members. Can't do that without same old crew.

Politics helped convince old members to leave, but the lack of new members was the real of cause of death. I don't spend much time on the Boglehead because they limit the discuss so dramatically. I wish there was more latitude here, but the moderation isn't excessive.

I still follow the TMF Berkshire board, there hasn't been more than a couple of new posters a year for a decade, and very little political discussion. The Intel board which use to get 100 posts a week, I just checked had 89 since I last visited it back in March 2013.
Can't agree here. There was no lack of new blood to TMF. The problem was too much new blood after they went to the free format, allowing people to add their two cents without any skin in the game. The discourse got much more contentious, less respectful. There was nothing to lose.

The only limit to new things to discuss is your imagination.

IP
Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
REHP by John P. Greaney, my patron saint, from whom with the Terhorsts and the Kaderlies I learned that it was possible to leave the game before I die.

It still has resources that are updated from time to time that are priceless.

Bless you, John, where ever you are.

Hey IP!

I found the REHP in/around 1997, followed the TMF board over there until it became a pay site and then left. I was seriously looking at ER early on, but Greaney showed me my first image of how it could be done. I'm still w*rking, but getting ever closer to what I consider to be a workable plan and the magic number to go along with it. I too mainly come here (though I don't post much, look at my join date vs number of posts), and Bogleheads.

Welcome into the light!
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead View Post
I too mainly come here (though I don't post much, look at my join date vs number of posts)...
Our common join date offers quite a contrast in 'participation rate'...
Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Our common join date offers quite a contrast in 'participation rate'...

Wow, I'll say, more than 100:1!

I kick in what and when I can, but I certainly know how fortunate I was to end up here with all I have learned over the years. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to pay all of it forward, but I will try!

Cheers!

Pan
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
"Don't blame me - I voted for Willie Nelson."

(Bumper sticker seen on the back of a truck in my neighborhood).
I like that bumper sticker! But, then again, I'm moving to Colorado.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote