Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Hi Stuck; Your description of your town politics/finances sounds like a bit of a bummer. I have the impression that you live in Wilton-pehaps I am wrong. We have known a few families from Wilton who loved it, (GE types) but if town politics become nasty it can be an incentive to decamp. So given your travails I'd suggest you delist Scarborough (previously suggested by me) as the school budget is routinely rejected each year. That reality alone is reason enough to reject it especially since there are so many better alternatives. Your wife's volunteerism would be warmly embraced in Falmouth/Cape/Yarmouth/Cumberland. I took the same approach when we moved here. I also served on our Zoning Board for 6 years, a great way to get involved.

I also started a business that has been very successful. Portland is known as a hot start up community as well. i guess I sound like I represent the Chamber of Congress. Ha Ha.

Golden, great guess and you are correct. Sad to see GE potentially leaving the area, it would be a serious blow to our community in a lot of ways. Town politics have gone beyond nasty and I think what it really boils down to is not enough people being involved- especially young people- due to long commutes. Things are far from balanced. I think that is really what we crave, more of a community feel. My one concern on Falmouth is that it seems maybe a little bit like Wilton, i.e. no real town, but the proximity to Portland makes up for it. Wilton still is a great town but I think my angst over the housing situation just makes me want to take less risk, while being among people who are past the grind. I know how expensive children are and saving for retirement, so of course I fully understand the reasons for people being here as an affordable option to Greenwich Darien and New Canaan to be close to the financial centers. But an affordable option to these areas still is ridiculously expensive for anyone without eight figures. But it is clear to me that the world is changing, especially in finance for a variety of reasons including regulation, that sometimes you have to admit to yourself, this no longer makes any sense.

Also, I would love to have a small business or even a franchise and Wilton is a graveyard for small businesses- its common knowledge. Our rent averages around $30 a sf. That's pretty steep for a low traffic area. I think having some type of business would be a great way to integrate in the community.

StuckinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado
Its Official! Gave notice - April 29, 2016 is my last day.

OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote