Join Early Retirement Today
Approved for home purchase, and retired
Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Approved for home purchase, and retired

I just registered on the forum. I found out this morning that I have been approved to purchase a home, even though retired.

I qualified for a 30 year loan, only because my guaranteed monthly income is not that high. I have no debts. Of course that does not preclude me from making larger payments, I just had to string it out that long to meet the banks income parameters for the minimum monthly payment.

The reason why I am posting here is because I was trying to find out what my chances were of being approved for a home loan, so by doing the search engine thing I found a link to this site about getting a home loan when retired.

The last post on that thread is roughly a year old, and I don't know if that thread is even available.

The theme of that year old thread was that it is tough to qualify for a home loan when you are retired unless you have assets well into the six figures. And considering that I only qualified for a 30 year loan, I know that to be true.

I am worth roughly $325,000 and will have to send proof of social security income to qualify, which I will do as soon as I get the letter from the lender.

Everyone have a good day.

johnhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Congrats johnhenry and welcome! Tell us more about yourself when you have time and enjoy the new home!

crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thank you for the post.

Can I ask... How much is your house and how much is your income (pension, SS, etc)? Does your income cover the monthly mortgage?

I think (I could be wrong) what people were saying in this forum is that you have to have a stream of money coming in (from pensions, SS, annuities) to get a mortgage loan, regardless of how much money you may have in your IRAs, 401Ks, savings, etc.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote