Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Ruchman -
I am so sorry for your loss.
How are your children handling the loss?

I agree that decisions should not be made in haste, but I haven't seen anyone address the impact of losing a parent on your children. If either of them is having significant issues, then that might outweigh the financial issues.

But, in general, I agree that this is a decision not to be made in haste, and that financially it makes total sense to continue working, using the SS funds towards the kids' college expenses.

rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
I'm so sorry to read this, Ruchman. My heart goes out to you and your girls.

You sound like you are being very careful considering what to do for them even in the short time since your wife's passing. Such a good dad.

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Sorry for your loss - hang in there buddy! You'll find a lot of good advice on this site.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ruchman, what a shock. I am so very sorry for you loss.

My advice is to not make any major decisions/changes in your life for a year or so. You and your daughters have suffered a terrible loss and it takes time to truly begin to come to grips with what has happened.

Also, your numbers look a little light to pull the plug at your age. Those SS payments are temporary but will help you grow your nest egg quickly over the next few years. I say wait and take another look at your situation in a year or two.
Agree. Sorry for your loss Ruchman.
Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Pulled the plug and couldn't be happier
Old 12-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Pulled the plug and couldn't be happier

Finally listened to the voice that kept coming up from deep inside, telling me the right thing to do was to chuck it and take some time (hopefully forever!) off.

I quit in early November and have been walking on air ever since. Life is so, so much better w/o having the commitment of working. The other day my 17 year old daughter overslept for school - no problem, I called her in sick, we went and worked out together at the gym, then had a nice lunch after.

I'm doing some work for a couple past co-workers who are doing a startup. No funding yet, so it's pro-bono at this point. Best thing is, the work is not my top priority. Whatever the hell I decide I want to do each day is the top priority. Loving, loving, loving it.

6 months after the spouse died unexpectedly, happiness seems to have returned for both of my kids and myself. That's a nice change; you forget that you've lost the happiness until it suddenly reappears when you least expect it.
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sorry for your loss. Hope things work out for you.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm glad that you've found happiness again. That little voice is very wise keep listening and keeping loving life !
"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.
Sorry for your loss, I'm glad you are having more quality time with your daughters.

Taking time off now may help with the financial aid application for colllege expenses =)
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
I am glad that you listened to your inner really is a lot wiser than we give it credit. I am also happy that you and the girls are spending this time together and it will be a great foundation for the rest of your lives.

citrine is offline   Reply With Quote