Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you still in that "bad job situation" that you wrote about in April? Or have you ER already? I noted in your profile that 2010 is your retirement year. Congratulations if things have improved at work, otherwise, hang in there ER is right around the corner for you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Time for an update... I "retired" on Oct. 26th. I gave a two weeks notice and am glad that I didn't give any longer. My boss was unkind with how he treated me during those weeks. He felt that I did not appreciate that I had a "good" job and how dare I walk away from all that the company had given me. He was rude and dismissive and solidified my decision that this was a company that I needed to get away from. At this point we have sold our home and relocated back to where we both grew up. I have not lived in this area for many years and have loved being back with family again. ER is great. I stayed long enough to get my bonus and several other perks that I had coming to me. These just helped to build up the retirement fund. Now I have time to work on several creative hobbies that I have not had time to enjoy for years. The big question is will I look for another job in the future - as of right now, I do not plan on it. I am enjoying myself too much. I seem to be adjusting well to this new life style! I have worked in retail for many years and it has put a bad taste in my mouth for the holiday season. Now that pressure is gone and I can truely remember the reason for the season. Thanks to all for the advise over the months that I was working through this process.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations! I can feel your happiness just reading your post.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats, TM.

It's always encouraging to read an "now I'm free and I'm loving it" post.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations TM,

Just think, how sweet it is that you've FIRE'd and all the chaos with the rude boss etc. is in the rear view mirror and fading out of sight
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

So true easysurfer! I will admit that I have had many dreams/nightmares about work. Always in yet another meeting trying to argue some sense into others. Not a good dream, but a great feeling when I wake up and know that I don't have to do that any more. Loving it!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TM,

With those dreams/nightmares, welcome to the world of FIRE!

I FIRE'd in 2008 and still have recurring w*rk dreams. In my dream/nightmare, I dream that I've been "volunteering" my services for months, realizing that I haven't entered my timesheet nor have been on the payroll for months. Then the good part is when I realize that I don't need this anymore as I'm retired..then I wake up
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

While the dreams/nightmare can cause me a mini panic attack - it is almost worth that great feeling when you wake up! I'm with you easyrider.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #49

Well done TM, welcome to ER
Old 11-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #50

Congratulation! You did the right thing. Now enjoy your free time and your family.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great news, TM. Am sure you will have a wonderful holiday season now that work pressure is off. Enjoy!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #52

Thanks for the update. Good to hear that everything worked out.

In a sense it was probably useful that your boss was a jerk following receipt of your notice. If he had behaved well (thanked you for your hard work during your years at the company, expressed regret at your decision, etc.), perhaps you might have second-guessed yourself. As it is, he "solidified (your) decision that this was a company that (you) needed to get away from": which was kinda helpful.