Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

bass player with no strings!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

bass player with no strings!

Hi!
I'm 61 and have had full time jobs most of my life. Playing bass guitar is my passion and I plan to continue playing as long as I physically can. For a few years when I was younger I actually was able to survive playing professionally. I was laid off my last full time job in July and am currently collecting unemployment, about $1620 a month. Truth be told, I have no great desire to go back to work. If I can escape the need for a full time job and just focus on music and playing bass, that would be a very satisfying life for me. Most likely the unemployment payments will continue until around February/March 09. I'm looking at the option of retiring when I am 62 and eligible for Social Security in April 09. I will collect about $1000 a month.

My last job paid about 38K of which I took home roughly $2000 a month. I can live fairly cheap and was quite comfortable on that much.

I have no dependents and no debt. I have a mix of bank accounts, IRA's and a small 401k from my last job. None of the current assets are particularly strong investments. Most are very conservative (savings accounts, CD's, Money Market, etc.) altho I am losing a bit right now with this current mess. I rent an apartment so I have no real assets other than these. All together it comes to about $400,000.

I have talked with a financial adviser at HSBC and another at Fidelity and they have offered some options but I'm still looking around and trying to decide the best way to do this if I can. Most of my peers have good pension plans or other arrangements where they can't really advise me much. I'm hoping to get some advice here.
Thanks and hello to everyone!
Mikedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome!

How about health insurance?

(Perhaps you can supplement income giving lessons? I pay $20 a session for my daughter's bass lessons - officially 30 minutes, but they average 45, sometimes more, sometimes less.)
Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
Welcome!

How about health insurance?

(Perhaps you can supplement income giving lessons? I pay $20 a session for my daughter's bass lessons - officially 30 minutes, but they average 45, sometimes more, sometimes less.)
Yes Health Insurance is a consideration. Health insurance is available thru unemployment on a program called "HealthyNewyork" for about $250-350 a month. I'm just about to sign up for it. I'm not sure if I will continue to qualify for it later on, income must be under $2100 a month.

It's quite possible I will supplement income with teaching or playing. I would enjoy doing either or both. Or I might even decide to take on some other form of work. I'd still like to see if I can become financially independent of any need for a job.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedb View Post
Yes Health Insurance is a consideration. Health insurance is available thru unemployment on a program called "HealthyNewyork" for about $250-350 a month. I'm just about to sign up for it. I'm not sure if I will continue to qualify for it later on, income must be under $2100 a month.

It's quite possible I will supplement income with teaching or playing. I would enjoy doing either or both. Or I might even decide to take on some other form of work. I'd still like to see if I can become financially independent of any need for a job.
Do you live NYC area? I think you will really be stretching with the reserves you mention, without working a lot.

Ha
Old 09-29-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you live NYC area? I think you will really be stretching with the reserves you mention, without working a lot.

Ha
Hey, Ha
You may be right but when I was working, my take home was a bit under $2000 per month. That was enough for me and, yes, I'm in New York City. I live very cheap. It can be done even in Manhattan. I ride a bicycle to get around, as I always have, I don't have cable, just Netflix, I live in a small studio. Even now on unemployment I am getting by OK admittedly feeling a pinch here and there.
It is expensive to live in Manhattan and I may choose to move but $2000 a month can be enough even here.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedb View Post
Hey, Ha
You may be right but when I was working, my take home was a bit under $2000 per month. That was enough for me and, yes, I'm in New York City. I live very cheap. It can be done even in Manhattan. I ride a bicycle to get around, as I always have, I don't have cable, just Netflix, I live in a small studio. Even now on unemployment I am getting by OK admittedly feeling a pinch here and there.
It is expensive to live in Manhattan and I may choose to move but $2000 a month can be enough even here.
Good going, Mikedb. You clearly have the right stuff for cheap living.

Ha
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The "no health insurance" is the HUGE consideration. The 400K can be wiped out in one instance of a major health issue. I would try to find any job that would get me Health Insurance until Medicare age. OR I would figure a way to LOCK UP the 400k so a health issue would not affect it.

For instance, purchasing an annuity at 62/single for 400k with increasing payments (for inflation) would bring in another 1800+ per month.

If he did that wouldn't this protect him if he had a major medical issue?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What would you get from Social Security? If you can live on 2K/month in NYC, you can probably live on 1.4K in rural area.

If you really want to do this, you could. Here are some steps I'd take:

1. Get a high-deductible health insurance plan
2. Move to a small town which has a lower cost of living, but enough gig opportunities (this only works for bass players and drummers).
3. Become an expert on investing
Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What would you get from Social Security? If you can live on 2K/month in NYC, you can probably live on 1.4K in rural area.

2. Move to a small town which has a lower cost of living, but enough gig opportunities (this only works for bass players and drummers).

He said $1000/mo from SS at 62
Old 09-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Yes I will get about $1000/month

1. I am setting up insurance thru a program called "healthyNY". Individuals are eligible if income is under $2160. It'll run me about $260/month with Empire blue cross.

2. Small town with gig opportunities? where?
My assessment:
Small town=car=maintenance=insurance=gas$$
big city=no car needed=more gig options
big city=bicycle=exercise=healthy, cheaper, greener

3. I've never been very savvy with investing which is why I am here. That's where I do need help.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yes, you're right, you'd probably need a car in a small town. Other savings might offset that or not.

As to more gig options in a big city -- that's probably also true, but there will be more gig competitors as well. Pay/gig is probably lower in small town.

I'm still guessing that there are towns that would, overall, be cheaper for you to live in than NYC.

Here's a thread about recommended books.