Join Early Retirement Today

California Bound
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

California Bound

I'm considering moving to Santa Rosa or San Luis Obispo in the summer of 2014, does anyone have some recommendations to chosse one over the other?

Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Hi, LanceWannaBe, and welcome to the ER Forum. Please stop by the "Hi, I am..." section and post an introduction so we can get to know you.

Assuming you will be retired and can live where you like, why do you want to move there? What specifically appeals to you about the two towns?

Are you familiar with both? If not, have you thought of renting in each town for six months, to help you to decide?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Both are very nice places, S.L.O. is very much a " College town ". Can you tell us more about your plans ?. If already retired or need to find work.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

you might also ask in the California forums at city-data for what people can tell you about both places.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent several days in the SLO, Morro Bay, San Simeon area this past June. It was one of the most pleasant areas I've ever been.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceWannaBe View Post
I'm considering moving to Santa Rosa or San Luis Obispo in the summer of 2014, does anyone have some recommendations to chosse one over the other?

Thanks!
You really cannot go wrong. Either of these places is way above 98% of the like-sized competition.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If it was me i'd be more interested in SLO. as noted before it's a college town (not in the football crazed way) and as a result has more in the way of music, etc.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceWannaBe View Post

Thanks!
Renting in each location for six months is a very viable option. 30 plus years of south Florida humidity is the main reason for relocating to California. The secondary reason is the age demographics in Florida, I don't want to be surrounded by an elderly population.

Thanks for all of your comments!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #9

I agree! Santa Rosa is also close to CA State University Sonoma. That whole area is rich culturally - SLO as well. Yes, I would stay at each place for awhile, since every town has its own "flavor."
Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #10

I tend to be more inclined to SLO instead of Santa Rosa, nothing really definite except that I think SLO has a slightly nicer topography.

Like all college towns, it is nice. Real estate may be somewhat high, as would be the cost of living differential between Florida and California.