Join Early Retirement Today

Canīt stand my probable daughter-in-law!!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Canīt stand my probable daughter-in-law!!

She is too forward, casual, and takes things for granted-mainly my house. I wouldnīt mind all that if not for the annoying feeling both my wife and I have that weīīll be seeing too much of her. In fact we already are.We are consevative and so we like nice, shy and well mannered girlfriends that are a bit nervous when it comes to seeing their prospective in-laws. In our opinion only when their relationship becomes really solid with a wedding in sight should she behave in such a confident familiar way.

And the funny thing is that our son doesnīt seem to be too happy with her, just the two of them. They donīt seem to have much in common. They have entered in some sort of routine. So maybe he brings her along to alleviate the situation.

And he doesnīt like her future mother-in-law, which is gonna be something terrible for him, given that his girlfriend loves to spend a lot of time with her rather bossy mother and clannish family, which by the way I donīt like either-too gossipy and with terrible manners and views.
Any polite way of discouraging her/them to come too frequently before itīs too late?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
And the funny thing is that our son doesnīt seem to be too happy with her, just the two of them. They donīt seem to have much in common. They have entered in some sort of routine. So maybe he brings her along to alleviate the situation.
Any polite way of discouraging her/them to come too frequently before itīs too late?

Viince:
My parents never cared for my first wife. We were married eleven years and had three children. When we finally divorced my parents were relieved although they didn't like the idea of the children being raised in a fatherless home. They loved my second wife and her two children.
My mother said many times since that she would take to her grave, the fact that she didn't speak up before my first marriage. She was so sorry for not talking to me about it early on.

I'd say for your benefit and that of your son, that you better have a talk with him now or forever hold your tongue. You may be doing him the biggest favor in the world and if it's not meant to be he will let you know.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

My daughter had a boyfriend when she was in college that was a dolt . I finally had to say something to her . She was upset and told me I'd better get used to him as they were getting married . A few months later she took a job in Boston away from the boyfriend and met the love of her life who I'm crazy about so hopefully things will work out .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I too think that you should bring up the subject but this is an area to tread carefully if you want to be effective. In many ways this is like the 'birds and the bees' discussion that parents often avoid.

Consider talking about what, in your experience, makes a contented marriage. Talk about the fact that when you become a parent you are tied to each other for life, even if the marriage dissolves. Sexual intimacy is something to take seriously. Similarly, different attitudes about spending and saving can be disastrous. Perhaps you can point to examples in your extended family to make your points.

It should not be just about this woman, but life.

Maybe Dr. Phil has a book...
Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Prenup.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sometimes, less is more.

Perhaps somthing simple like, "(her name) certainly is a character. I sometimes wonder what you have in common, but if you love her, and she makes you happy and you are sure you want to spend the rest of your life with her no matter what, then we'll support you...."
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

And he doesnīt like her future mother-in-law, which is gonna be something terrible for him, given that his girlfriend loves to spend a lot of time with her rather bossy mother and clannish family, which by the way I donīt like either-too gossipy and with terrible manners and views.
You don't approve.

Your son doesn't really seem to be happy with her, and he doesn't like her mom.

I don't get it -- under all these circumstances, how can a marriage even happen? I don't know about the usual courtship process in Spain, but it seems odd (to my experience) that he could even be thinking about marriage to her under all these considerations.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #8

Iīm afraid of boring you stiff with this stuff-an unintended pun resulting from my insufficient English.
My son met her 4 years ago, inmediatley after dumping -nitwit that he is-a very nice girl, whom she brought home many times and we were delighted to have her around. Charming, shy, discreet, polite, nice family. Same engineering degree than my sonīs (maybe that was the problem-professional competition as they worked in the same company). He eventually told me he got bored with her. His decision caused her and us a lot of pain and embarrassment.
I told him never to bring home girlfriends until things got really serious and solid.
This new relationship has been till very recently a long-distance one. Separated from the very beginning 600 km. Seeing each other every second weekend, which suited my son fine.
We thought it wouldnīt last. Then she got transferred here. And then we thought that daily contact would be too much for him and hoped he would drop her....
Wrong. She and her family have him trapped.
He says he doesnīt want to get married and that she is of the same opinion. And whatīs more incredible her mother thinks the same....
All this "modern" thinking on the part of mother and daugter might be normal nowadays in the USA, but itīs pretty rare in a small provincial town in Spain.
Iīm a convinced pro-marriage. But as I donīt want her, Iīd rather have them living "sinfully" , hoping he gets fed up with her -and her family- than having him married to her-and her family, letīs not forget that small detail.
It goes without saying that my opinion would have been the same if this problem would have arisen with a daughter. Well being an old-fashioned latino it would have been rather worse.
Thanks for your patience an advice.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Administrator

Vicente,

Bit of a nightmare and something we all worry about as parents. How you approach is going to very much depend on your relationship with your son and only you know how best to talk to him.

Both my sisters did similar things with boyfriends whose family were obnoxious and many had criminal records. Our parents wanted both relationships to end. Sister 1 went ahead and married at age 17, sister 2 and boyfriend rented a house and moved in together. Sister 1's marriage turned out wonderful (31 years and counting, 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren) and the out-laws were kept at arms length.

Sister 2's relationship lasted about 18 months before boyfriend ended up in jail and she moved back in with our parents. Thank goodness they weren't married as it would have been much messier to sort out (a few years later she married a wonderful man and have been married now for 15 years and have an 11 year old daughter).

Living together is probably not an option in your situation so I would try to get them to extend their relationship as long as possible before marrying to give them maximum opportunity to see the long term affects of a marriage.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My mom fought me tooth and nail against marrying my wife. It took about two years but they have now bonded and my wife would do anything for her.

I think sometimes if your a mother in law you have to grin and bear it and hope for the best, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Just a son's perspective.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
I
He says he doesnīt want to get married and that she is of the same opinion. And whatīs more incredible her mother thinks the same....
All this "modern" thinking on the part of mother and daugter might be normal nowadays in the USA, but itīs pretty rare in a small provincial town in Spain.
Iīm a convinced pro-marriage. But as I donīt want her, Iīd rather have them living "sinfully" , hoping he gets fed up with her -and her family- than having him married to her-and her family, letīs not forget that small detail.
It goes without saying that my opinion would have been the same if this problem would have arisen with a daughter. Well being an old-fashioned latino it would have been rather worse.
Thanks for your patience an advice.
FYI - our daughter moved in and lived with her boyfriend a year before they got married and we were very happy that they did. (it has worked out really well - 8 years and they seem REALLY happy together). DW and I did the same thing ('74 - '76). It sounds like although you certainly don't favor this approach normally that you might consider it.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We are consevative and so we like nice, shy and well mannered girlfriends that are a bit nervous when it comes to seeing their prospective in-laws.
Why would you want your son to be with someone who is shy and nervous around you?

If your son is the shy and nervous type, he may be attracted to her more outgoing personality.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFrugal View Post
Why would you want your son to be with someone who is shy and nervous around you?
I'm sure there are significant cultural differences coming into play here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, he either brought her along for a cheap date/free meal, or to let you guys meet her before the engagement announcement, or to give you the chance to utter an opinion.

He's not interested in hearing what you think of her or of his ability to choose a spouse. But you could jumpstart his thinking by asking him if she makes him happy, if he wants to spend the rest of his life with her, and how he'd feel about starting a family with her (whether they're married or not). Maybe you could tell him how you had the same line of thinking at his age with a former girlfriend.

It's possible that his girlfriend is trapping looking for someone to rescue her from her family. Hopefully he's not interested in playing that role either!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #15

I'm totally confused here. Why is he trapped?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

From the other side of the fence...this needs to be said to give you some perspective...

Having been the recipient of negative attitudes and disrespectful treatment for over 25 years from my late husband's (LH's) mother*, all I can say is if your son really loves this lady and they want to get married, it will happen.
In many ways, strong parental objections can destroy or solidify a marriage. We were lucky to withstand it - 25 years of drama, meddling and outright interference.
But it took a huge toll of both of us and made our lives miserable until I finally said enough and I stayed away from the MIL. Life improved. But the stress on LH was horrible.

* The objections against me were my religion, ethnic background (Mediterranean ancestors), and independent thinking as well as the fact I was from out-of-town. How enlightened.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:27 AM   #17

Hi all!
As one of you said, there is an element of culture here -in the most comprehensive sense. By "trapped" I mean -and it sounds so snobbish and chauvinist- that my son son could be considered a "catch" by the girl and her family, and after having living together in a small town -less than 500 m. from her motherīs- the relation is expected to succeed, or else the gossip and embarrassment in their circle would be terrible for her family. So they canīt let him go.
And I donīt think my son has the courage to put an end to the relationship even if he is made to see whatīs in the future. He is in too deep....
Well, they are adults and their life is their life. If we donīt have to socialize with her family and not lose our son in the process, weīll be satisfied.
Thank you all.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think this is very sad. I have 3 grown kids - 2 sons and a daughter. Over the years they have all been involved with different people (which I think is great - I'm relieved that none of them settled down before they had a chance to experience life). I have never had a problem embracing any of the boyfriends/girlfriends that thay have brought home to meet me. As long as there is no abuse or mistreatment, who am I to say whether their choice is right or wrong. They are all reasonable, self-confident, likeable people (my greatest achievement) and it is not my place to decide whether someone is appropriate for them or not. I will love anyone who loves them - unconditionally.
janetvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It will be a miracle if the marriage works out given this statement. You are right to be very concerned on that basis, removes any guilt you might feel associated with your views of the girl. Trying to outright stop them could blow up in your face and encourage the wrong outcome (from your perspective) at their age, but IMO you need to do anything you can to get them to wait a good long time. It it's meant to be...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I will love anyone who loves them - unconditionally.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above sentiment. My son is old enough to know his own mind and I trust his judgment. And I don't think he would be too gracious if I criticized any girlfriend of his. I have learned to smile and say "She's seems very nice". And so far this has been true. He has good taste in women.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote