Central Virginia Retired or Unemployed?

DennisT

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi All,

The "retired or unemployed" line is my new favorite joke. I'm 63 and left my university job to lead a college overseas for a few years, and when I finished that I did not have the heart to go back to the 9 to 5. I live in a college town in central Virginia, and am married to a woman a couple of years younger. I'm active in hiking, kayaking, sailing, and cultural activities.

We looked at our finances and thought that we could afford our present spending rate with our savings, and the FIREcast app verifies that. Kids are grown and mainly independent, no grandkids yet.

On the side we have a few rental properties that seem to be bringing in about 2/3 of our annual expenses, and I've been actively trading equity options that seem to bring in the other 1/3, at least our balance is not going down any in the last couple of years. Plus we can supplement our kids (we pay their IRAs) and travel (over two months away in the last 12 months).

Overall, I wish I had retired about 5 years earlier, which could have been possible I think.

This seems like a nice group. I'll likely be hanging out in the investing area, where my interests may be more risk-prone than the average. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Dennis

Hi All,

The "retired or unemployed" line is my new favorite joke. I'm 63 and left my university job to lead a college overseas for a few years, and when I finished that I did not have the heart to go back to the 9 to 5. I live in a college town in central Virginia, and am married to a woman a couple of years younger. I'm active in hiking, kayaking, sailing, and cultural activities.

We looked at our finances and thought that we could afford our present spending rate with our savings, and the FIREcast app verifies that. Kids are grown and mainly independent, no grandkids yet.

On the side we have a few rental properties that seem to be bringing in about 2/3 of our annual expenses, and I've been actively trading equity options that seem to bring in the other 1/3, at least our balance is not going down any in the last couple of years. Plus we can supplement our kids (we pay their IRAs) and travel (over two months away in the last 12 months).

Overall, I wish I had retired about 5 years earlier, which could have been possible I think.

This seems like a nice group. I'll likely be hanging out in the investing area, where my interests may be more risk-prone than the average. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Dennis

Hi Dennis
Good to have you on board neighbor. I am turning 58 this year and DW is 64. We live in the Virginia Beach area and we are hoping to retire in 18 months or so..I did not want to wait until SS to retire and I think we have the means to sustain us comfortably until I can tap SS. Enjoy
MZ

Back
Top Bottom