Cold New Yorkers!

NY social worker

Confused about dryer sheets
My husband and I are beginning to think about retirement and leaving New York from January to March. We have been considering one of the Carolina states and would appreciate hearing any suggestions from others regarding these states to help us get started on our location search. Thanks so much!

Welcome , My Sister left Long Island and headed to florida because she wanted even warmer weather than the Carolinas in the winter . While Florida is not for everyone it does have great winter weather .

Welcome , My Sister left Long Island and headed to florida because she wanted even warmer weather than the Carolinas in the winter . While Florida is not for everyone it does have great winter weather .
True. Sometimes people miss the seasons, though, and sometimes they still have family in the northeast (want to see the grandkids, et cetera) which makes living in Florida more problematic. Many of them become "halfbacks" and move to the Carolinas rather than stay in Florida or try to maintain two residences.

Welcome,

I lived in Raleigh, North Carolina for 8 years and it is a great place to live. I would move back in a flash if I could. The weather is great, not too hot, not too cold, you are just a few hours away from beautiful ocean beaches and the wild Appalachian mountains, you have many of the amenities of a large city, yet it still feels like a small town. I love the mix of people, southerners off course, but lots of northerners and foreigners as well. It's the kind of cities which makes you feel right at home no matter where you come from and what your political/religious views are (that's not always the case with smaller cities).

Raleigh is probably not considered a retirement location per se, but in NC the costal area and Ashville are very popular with retirees. Ashville, while beautiful, is a bit remote for my taste and the coastal areas often get impacted by hurricanes. I would also recommend visiting the Chapel Hill/Carborro/Pittsboro area, close enough to Raleigh/Durham but a bit more relaxed. If you like suburban living, then you might also want to check out the Cary/Apex area which has become hugely popular over the years.

Thanks so much for all the great info! Can you suggest any towns/areas on the coast we might explore? Thanks again.

Thanks so much for all the great info! Can you suggest any towns/areas on the coast we might explore? Thanks again.

I am partial to the Wilmington, NC area because it would be the only place I would consider for year round living on the NC coast. Plus it has some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. I have also been to Myrtle Beach, SC and while it's a great place to vacation, it's a bit boring during the off season IMO (though it is a golfer's paradise).

I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but there are a lot of plantation developments (not senior living developments) in the Carolinas. We have friends who have moved to one and they are very happy--the developments are full of people just like them from different parts of the country and they have made a lot of friends.

DH would love to move to the historic area of Wilmington, Firedreamer!

DH would love to move to the historic area of Wilmington, Firedreamer!

Me too!
Maybe 5-6 years ago we looked at a week-end/vacation condo in an old brick building near the historic district in Wilmington, then we found out we had to move to AL because of our jobs and gave up on the idea. That was a bummer.

I am partial to the Wilmington, NC area because it would be the only place I would consider for year round living on the NC coast. Plus it has some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. I have also been to Myrtle Beach, SC and while it's a great place to vacation, it's a bit boring during the off season IMO (though it is a golfer's paradise).

My sister and BIL live In Ocean Isle Beach, NC and really love it. It's just a few miles to the ocean and about 50 miles south of Wilmington. She goes shopping in Wilmington quite ofter but Myrtle Beach is only 20 miles south and has a lot to offer. They are in a golf course community with four courses and it's very nice (upscale to me). Summers are hot and humid, winters are moderate--no snow but chilly in the mornings. For the most part, they golf year round if that's your thing. Me? I'm from Michigan so I don't want to hear anything about cold. Moved to Ft. Myers, FL 20 years ago when I retired and then to Tampa area 10 years ago. I prefer Ft. Myers for the better climate but Tampa area is nice. Ft. Myers is considered the tropics and is more laid back. There are no beaches better than the Ft. Myers Beach area. Ft. Myers and Ft. Myers Beach are two different areas. The gulf is much better than the ocean 'cause it shallower and much warmer. You should try all the areas and then make your decision.

Well even though I live in Sarasota , Fl. I am partial to Venice ,Fl . I lived there for five years and to me it is the perfect gulf town ( Not too big ,not too small , nice beaches and a quaint downtown ).

A good friend moved to Charlotte NC. Said that they see New Yawkers all over the place and that they love the area. Recent troubles with Wachovia and Bank of America has weakened the home prices....may be to your gain.

I have lived in NC for the past 20 years and love it. DW and I moved here by way of Florida and NYC. This is the nicest place we have ever lived. My city specific suggestions are Wilmington area, if you like the coast. Boone or Ashville if you like the mountains. We live in-between in the Pedmont. So we enjoy both.
Congratulaions on your planned ER. DW and I are planning to make the leap in 4 or 5 years. We will probably stay in NC.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom