Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoblonde View Post
... who said the "strapping the long-board to the car" comment. You're hysterical! I guess in Colorado, it would be strapping my skis to the roof rack, but I really like the idea of surfing instead!
Eh, snowboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Nords... With all due respect (hey, I LIKE this lawyer speak).... I agree with you most of the time, but I will be like the other poster on this... there is a certain amount of work that needs to be done by the family... and included in that 'amount' is going to get a paycheck if your family needs it (mine still does)..
Every time I heard that phrase in the Navy it was usually pronounced "With all due respect, sirrrr", and it meant that I was gonna get my ass chewed...

Quote:
there is a certain amount of work that needs to be done by the family... and included in that 'amount' is going to get a paycheck if your family needs it (mine still does)..
"Certain amount" is where I have issues.

We had a one-post poster here a while back who couldn't understand how us ERs found time to do anything while she was cleaning all day. What one person may see as "comfortably lived in", another person may see as "a horrible mess". One person likes to be clutter-free and thinks another is a hoarder. It's all in the perspective.

At some point in a marriage, the couple would agree upon a certain level of home care. That level of home care is going to happen whether they're both working 100-hour weeks or whether they're both ER'd on a $10M portfolio. If that level of home care has been deemed adequate to this extent of the relationship, then the ER'ing spouse is under no obligation to raise that homecare standard just because they're ER'ing.

Quote:
They should not be the only one in the family to enjoy time off... IMO, everybody should 'share' in the benefits... not all going to one...
Sure they should. What you see as "sharing", I see as "Yay, you're not going to work so you have time to take care of the rest of us!!"

ER is an achievement that merits "time off for good behavior". It's not much of an incentive if all you have to look forward to is picking up after the rest of the tribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoblonde View Post
I have been discussing this change with my family for a year and I think they are prepared. I have it all set up with passive investments where I will continue to pay the same bills in the household as before and do my chores.
See, that's all I'm recommending-- communication and realistic expectations from the rest of the family. No new chores just because she doesn't have to show up for daily beatings along with the rest of the inmates...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Just imagine the diaper changes...
Oh.... Don't. I used to work in geriatric residential mental heath. Some of those images are hard to remove even after 35 years.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Oh.... Don't. I used to work in geriatric residential mental heath. Some of those images are hard to remove even after 35 years.
That would explain your avatar...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That would explain your avatar...
Well actually I driven away by that kind of thing. For the past 36 years, I worked with children under the age of 12.

Children do keep you young in heart, though not in body, unfortunately. I will miss working with little kids when I retire in 257 career days(after 6500+ work days), but who's counting.

Z
Old 02-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Blonde? This thread is useless with out pics.