Join Early Retirement Today

Commercial property income
Old 11-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Commercial property income

HTML Code:
Hello, first post here. Would like to know from folks - in the same boat as us.

Did the BigCompany-upper-management think and hated it. Big time. Few years ago, said 'I'm done' and working as a consultant now. Love being my own boss and working [U]my[/U] own hours.

Wife and I have around $600k together in savings (500k in IRA's and 100k in stocks).

We are both 48. We own 4 commercial properties (combined worth around $3m) with about $900k outstanding on all loans. Fixed rate at 5% for another 9 years. All four are completely rented. The rent from our tenants pays for everything: loans, tax, insurance, maintenance (they pay their own utilities). We managed 'em ourselves. These numbers and property worth, includes our home, where we live.

Our plan is to pay off the loans pretty aggressively within the next 7 years or so (between $3k-5k extra principal payments -depending on work). Then, relax, travel and live on the income from 'em.

Anyone else on this track?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum. For easier legibility, I have copied your text below. I don't know why it has the HTML format.

Hello, first post here. Would like to know from folks - in the same boat as us.

Did the BigCompany-upper-management think and hated it. Big time. Few years ago, said 'I'm done' and working as a consultant now. Love being my own boss and working my own hours.

Wife and I have around $600k together in savings (500k in IRA's and 100k in stocks).

We are both 48. We own 4 commercial properties (combined worth around $3m) with about $900k outstanding on all loans. Fixed rate at 5% for another 9 years. All four are completely rented. The rent from our tenants pays for everything: loans, tax, insurance, maintenance (they pay their own utilities). We managed 'em ourselves. These numbers and property worth, includes our home, where we live.

Our plan is to pay off the loans pretty aggressively within the next 7 years or so (between $3k-5k extra principal payments -depending on work). Then, relax, travel and live on the income from 'em.

Anyone else on this track?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have 24 rentals. 7 buildings. 4 are paid off.

Investable assets are ~930K, Equity is ~$1.5M+. Cash flow, after all expenses including mortgages is ~125K, if I continue to manage them, I add in another $20K.

I do not plan on paying off any additional mortgages, just keep my fixed rates in place. If you have commercial loans, that is a major risk.

i.e. I am planning the same thing.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

As for commercial property...I know 2 people who own them. 1 is an EX boss but the property is kind of part of the business, some of it is rented out to off-set the costs. I believe his plan is to sell the entire business at some point when he gets bored. He can still race horses and run the business so likely not any time soon.

Another land developer I knew owned some commercial property. His building was the only thing that saved his butt when the housing industry collapsed in 2004. He still owns the commercial property, but lost the business and his personal residence. He still "goes to the office" every day though and no plans of ER with that income...I believe his "carpenter" son leeches off the income.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtoUS View Post

When you guys are fully retired and traveling around, will you have a property mamanger to look after things (probably less inportant with commercial property than with residential)? If so, what do you figure your return on equity will be (after maintenance, taxes, vacancies, etc)?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got 33 rentals with an on-site manager, actually a couple. He does some of the maintenance also. They collect the rent and show the empty apartments. My wife manages them. She's already retired. She also pays the bills and deposits the rent.

I am 56 and hope to retire in 15 months. The income from the apartments is part of my plan. I also have a 401k. I hope to sell and finance in 5 to 6 years with a 20 year note.

I am in a low cost area, the rent averages about $300/month. So, I'm not getting New York type rents.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

When you guys are fully retired and traveling around, will you have a property mamanger to look after things (probably less inportant with commercial property than with residential)? If so, what do you figure your return on equity will be (after maintenance, taxes, vacancies, etc)?
Hi Samclem, I plan on taking care of the properties myself. I kinna like it and it gives me something to do.

As for the return on equity, around 15%. Pretty good I think, no?
Old 11-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hello, and welcome/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtoUS View Post
As for the return on equity, around 15%. Pretty good I think, no?
It is good for an investment, but many would argue you don't have a pure investment here--you have an investment and a job.