Join Early Retirement Today

Currency devaluation?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Currency devaluation?

Hi I am Stephen M. My wife and I have been in retirement for 13 years. Our current combined retirement assets amount to $2,109155 ($1,174,020 deferred and the balance taxable). We have been living off recent SS and Pension income coupled with withdrawals averaging 2%. I have been very concerned about national debt ($16T?), and, naturally, deficits. I am particularly concerned about massive devaluation of our currency and would appreciate views on this subject.
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Stephen, other than being concerned, what are your views on the subject?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll jump in!

The trend has been to effectively print money to fulfill the needs of the US treasury's deficit. With the Federal Reserve's coordination, this printed money is flowing into assets; real estate and equities.

Given that US deficits are projected to continue for the next 10 years, I expect this asset inflation to continue.

Equities at this level can be perceived as risky, but bonds clearly are. And cash is not a safe haven.

So yes, the dollar's buying power is depreciating. But it seems that a balanced portfolio is probably keeping constant buying power... and is possibly increasing in buying power.

I suspect an Asset allocation of 60-40 is necessary to ride this out.

With your portfolio, SS and pension income, you seem to have a well diversified income stream and should endure whatever does happen better than most.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Administrator

StephenM, welcome aboard. Why not keep this thread and forum as a place no introduce yourself and post your currency question at the "Fire and money" forum here FIRE and Money - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't see any massive devaluation yet, and there's not much I can do about it except diversify my investments according to plan which includes a healthy portion of international equities. If it happens, I would expect a nice manufacturing boom in the US as our exports become cheaper to the rest of the world. But since my retirement plan involves moving overseas, I do worry a little about having an unfavorable exchange rate. But again, not much I can do about it.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since currency devaluation is the politically-easiest way deficits can be overcome, it will probably continue for many years. As the dollar devalues, your pre-tax retirement account's nomimal value increases, but that's a phantom increase since the account's real value might remain steady. The problem is that upon RMDs you pay tax on that phantom increase. Post-tax dollars, such as those in Roth form, avoid the tax on phantom increases.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

I worry about devaluation of the dollar due to the large and growing debt also. A friend I was talking to about this recently asked a good question about devaluation....devaluation relative to what? What currencies and/or economies don't have their own problems if the dollar goes into a nosedive? The euro? The yuan? All the big currencies are tied in to the dollar as major trading partners so that if the US buying power drops drastically, so do their economies. So what international investment is a good hedge against the downfall of largest import market in the world?
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks
Specifically I am concerned that holders of this debt might easily feel insecure and cease future buying of it resulting in eventual pandemonium in the markets.
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

The dollar index devalued significantly from 02 to 08 but has been stable since then. (in fact its higher now than before the crisis)

DXY00 | Commodity Futures Price Chart for U.S. Dollar Index Cash

Devaluation and inflation are not large concerns of mine. Having said that, most of my fixed income allocation is in TIPS.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

And welcome!
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #11

Welcome to the forum. Like you, I am very concerned about the $ in the long term. This is why I am keeping significant amounts of money in the EU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenM View Post
Hi I am Stephen M. My wife and I have been in retirement for 13 years. Our current combined retirement assets amount to $2,109155 ($1,174,020 deferred and the balance taxable). We have been living off recent SS and Pension income coupled with withdrawals averaging 2%. I have been very concerned about national debt ($16T?), and, naturally, deficits. I am particularly concerned about massive devaluation of our currency and would appreciate views on this subject.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote