Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post
Hoping to hear from some folks in Nevada (thinking Vegas, Henderson, or possibly Laughlin) Florida (Orlando to Daytona). I know for tax purposes these states make the most sense including weather. Just unsure either would be a big move and would appreciate input.
I live in Florida and I wouldn't live in Orlando if you paid me. I even HATE going to Orlando!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
I live in Florida and I wouldn't live in Orlando if you paid me. I even HATE going to Orlando!

Mike
Ha, Ha... Me neither. I live just south of you and it is like heaven here compared to Orlando and Lake Country. We are come up to 8 months of Stellar Weather.

For those who complain about the Heat and humidity, you DO get used to and accept it. For 8 months of excellent weather, 4 months of good (but Hot, yes) is worth the extra beds of sweat.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Ha, Ha... Me neither. I live just south of you and it is like heaven here compared to Orlando and Lake Country. We are come up to 8 months of Stellar Weather.

For those who complain about the Heat and humidity, you DO get used to and accept it. For 8 months of excellent weather, 4 months of good (but Hot, yes) is worth the extra beds of sweat.
We used to live in SoCAL. While the weather is better there, the crowds, Traffic, Taxes, auto Licensing Fees, cost of Electricity & water, Real Estate prices etc. are not.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #64

Quote:

I'm finding as I get older I am less tolerant of the heat but I will take it over the cold any day!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm finding as I get older I am less tolerant of the heat but I will take it over the cold any day!
Not so bad really here in NE. FLA. Go inland and further South or over to the Gulf side, and Yup, I agree. It is hot today (91 here), but I was walking around outside and it was lovely. We are 1 mile from the beach.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #66

Quote:
Not so bad really here in NE. FLA. Go inland and further South or over to the Gulf side, and Yup, I agree. It is hot today (91 here), but I was walking around outside and it was lovely. We are 1 mile from the beach.
I'm about 4 miles from the beach on the west side of the ditch. Atlantic and Kernan.

Mike
Old 08-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I am in the mountains of Washington at about 3000 feet elevation and it was 96 degrees yesterday so I can't make too much fun of Florida. The humidity was 19% though so it *was* a dry heat

Funny thing is, it got down to 52 degrees by midnight and felt quite nice.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Mike
Can you elaborate? Is it too busy? Expensive? What is it you don't like? I have heard good things about Orlando life so am curious.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Me neither. There is a reason Disney was able to buy those thousands of acres very cheaply way back when....very soggy and humid. Although we were in Disney World last February, and it was beautiful. Not humid at all. Probably landed on the 3 best days they had

Quote:

Mike
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Can you elaborate? Is it too busy? Expensive? What is it you don't like? I have heard good things about Orlando life so am curious.
Disney everywhere. Tourists from all over the world all year long. Construction non-stop. Traffic from hell. More hotels/motels than imaginable. If you need to get out of there fast because of a tropical storm/hurricane, good luck!

Mike
Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I would consider living on the Space Coast which is kind of near Orlando I guess. For some reason that area is a bit cheaper than north or south of it. I would go watch launches at every opportunity.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

My parents spent 30+ years in SE FL, inland 6 miles from Stuart. They liked it there, good golf and fishing. Unbearable heat for me in the summer, tourists in the winter.

During those years they experienced two 100 year floods. Both were the same, heavy rains and a blocked storm sewer backed up causing their dry neighborhood to be flooded.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Disney is EVERYWHERE! Tourists from all over the world all year long. Road and building construction is non-stop. Traffic is beyond a nightmare. If you need to get out of there fast because of tropical storm/hurricane, good luck!

Mike
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I wonder why the testicular area is so green/low population?
The dark green area NW of Tallahassee is indistinguishable from SW GA and SE AL - very rural, heavily farmed, probably more center-pivot irrigation systems than people.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

We were planning to move to Carson City once the mountain winters got to be too much for us. But as early retirees, we need the ACA for our health care. If Washington loosens rules and allows more state waivers, we want to be in a state that will protect us. So we will keep paying CA taxes and move down to the CA foothills eventually.
Lake161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Intriguing conversation about Florida. My initial plans are to buy a house in or around the New Smyrna/Cape Canaveral area. Interesting to hear everybody's opinions on the area.
Cassius King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #77

I love threads like this, just for the entertainment value. I've lived pretty much everywhere in the US, although in some cases only for a month or two at a time. So I have an extremely good idea of what I like and what I don't like.

In general, I would much rather be cold than hot. You can always put something else on, but you can only take so much off.

Right now, I'm in a pretty good climate area, except for a month or so in the summer. Since DW has lived here all her life and has a zillion friends, we're not likely to ever move away. But the big advantage of FIRE is that we can travel when and where we want.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Me neither. There is a reason Disney was able to buy those thousands of acres very cheaply way back when....very soggy and humid. Although we were in Disney World last February, and it was beautiful. Not humid at all. Probably landed on the 3 best days they had
Plus they were swamps and full of alligators as was shown last year at a Disney Hotel. Got to stay away from lakes.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #79

CaliKid, FlaGator hit it on the head with the bases we were at. 3 years Nellis, 3 years Hurlburt, and 4 years Patrick.

You have all four seasons on the Emerald coast. Good places to eat, and the best beaches in the U.S. I would pick the Central East Coast next. Can't comment on the West Coast. I would stay out of Central FL. and Southern FL. simply because of the crowds. However, it is what you make it.

The Destin area will also have tourist and it may be getting worse. It has been a while since we were there.

Note: Never thought the bugs were that bad. Yea, they have bugs, but so does just about every other place we lived. Never heard of bugs in ones ear unless you include Iphones.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #80

1. Before moving to Orlando or Daytona, check out the crime stats-scared us!
2. Find an inexpensive 2nd home/condo. Best of both worlds: nice spring/summer up north, great fall/winter in FL (or AZ).
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote