Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I did not know that.

Someone told me that the Sanford airport used to be a military base as well. Anyone know if that's true?
Welcome To Orlando Sanford International Airport - Central Florida's Simpler, Faster, Better Solution for Air Travel

Looks like it. Was also the case for Tamiami. Had a friend who trained there in WW II
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

My Thoughts on Weather vs. Friends & Family
Old 08-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Thoughts on Weather vs. Friends & Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
When people constantly discuss weather in the absence of the context of where their friends and family are..... i wonder.
Stick with your tribe!
I have to deal with or get to enjoy the weather every day.

I can count on my fingers, with a few left over, the number of friends and family members that I see in person more than once or twice a year.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Weather to me is way more important than being close to family. In this day and age one is never far from where one "has" to be if the "need" arises. But there and then, we have no children or grandchildren, by choice. Only siblings and related family. We have lived more than 1500 miles from our family as long as I can remember (since I was 25 and moved abroad for work). Going to see them for the very occasional visit. They actually visit us now more, as they all live in the Frozen North.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Other than San Diego, Florida has the best weather in the continental US. Come.February,.you'd be glad you're.there.

Having lived in seven states, including Nevada....traveled to more than 35...and visiting Florida regularly....I have no idea what you are talking about! 🤣
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I have to deal with or get to enjoy the weather every day.

I can count on my fingers, with a few left over, the number of friends and family members that I see in person more than once or twice a year.
The thought of certain family members fill me with dread, I' ll take my chances on the weather.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #106
Dryer sheet wannabe

Nevada vs. Florida is the same decision for my wife and I. Initially considered Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove but the downside is the high housing cost and the possibility that we'll get bored if we want to work part-time. Currently considering St. Petersburg, FL and will be visiting some friends there in a few months.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I am thinking there might be some steaming buys on Houston RE these days! Any opportunists among us?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
...steaming buys on Houston RE these days!
Having lived there I can attest all Houston real estate is "steaming" at least seven months out of the year!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I was actually wondering about going down to the Texas gulf coast this winter to escape the eastern Washington snow, but now....
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Nevada vs. Florida is the same decision for my wife and I. Initially considered Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove but the downside is the high housing cost and the possibility that we'll get bored if we want to work part-time. Currently considering St. Petersburg, FL and will be visiting some friends there in a few months.
St. Pete has really had a nice transformation over the last few years. Vibrant downtown, close to some of the best beaches in the U.S. (St. Pete Beach is awesome). Really fun, up-and-coming town. I have a place on the East Coast (Ft. Lauderdale), but I really think you will like it St. Pete.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I am thinking there might be some steaming buys on Houston RE these days! Any opportunists among us?
It reminds me of Florida without the blue hairs. In six months, this storm will be all forgotten.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I was actually wondering about going down to the Texas gulf coast this winter to escape the eastern Washington snow, but now....
Actually the way to do that is either to buy an RV or rent a place, then spend the winter in the coastal bend and go north in April, and come back in late Oct. or early Nov.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Sanford airport was a Naval Air Station back in the 60's. 20 miles south was NTC in Orlando one of the Navy's 3 training centers plus nuke school, now closed. I was at NHO the Naval Hospital in Orlando which served active duty and retired in the area. When I came to NHO I stayed at the Navy Lodge/BOQ which were Old Air Force ww2 Quonset huts. Orlando has a pretty rich Military history, pre Disney

Best
Doc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Ha ha, love it. You can't make this stuff up. BTW Scorpions and poisonous spiders will get you in Nevada and Arizona. At least you can see a gator coming....

Maybe it is the devil you know. I already get scorpions and spiders here in Texas... So, that I am used to (although I sure don't love them).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #115

Ive lived in South Florida for a little over 2 years now.

Ive never seen an alligator and I live walking distance to the Everglades. I take that back. When I was a tourist I went on an airboat ride in the Everglades and saw some gators). Do people actually think they are walking around loose like stray dogs?

Ive never had a bug fly into my ear or anywhere else on my body. In fact, I lived in the Dallas area for close to 40 years and the bugs are WAY worse there.

For 7 months a year the traffic is normal. When the snowbirds come, the traffic is heavy but if you're retired, who cares? It easy to avoid.

Its humid as hell during the summer, but the extreme heat in Texas was worse IMO. For 7 months a year the weather is absolutely fantastic. We have a convertible and have the top down all the time. Nobody in Texas has a convertible. Its too hot or too cold 10 months out of the year.

Hurricanes? Pfft. We had way more tornado and hail storms to worry about in Texas. In fact, just a few months after we moved away, a tornado destroyed the very neighborhood we lived in. It was a mile wide and wiped out 1/2 the suburban city we lived in. We have relatives who have lived in S. Florida for 20 years and they have evacuated only once and when they got back home they had no damage at all.

So much of this stuff is just exaggerated.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I did see this guy on a walk a few years ago where we used to live. Yes, I took the photo at about 20ft. The grounds were protected by the city, but honestly, neighbors barking doss were more of a concern. These guys if anything were some cheap pest control.

Like anything else, we share our environment with those who live there too. But I have not seen one for years in a development. We do have a society that relocates them if they get too close and looks after them. "The St. Augustine Alligator Farm". A tourist hot spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juvenile Gator- 003.jpg (835.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

I have lived in WI, upstate NY, TX, KS and NV. Reno has great weather year round with a mild 4 seasons. I love the low humidity. Granted this summer was hotter then most and our winter was worst then most. My winter coat is a sweater. WE get sun over 300 days/year. The down sides are the smoke from the fires which can make the air quality not so good. However, it does not last. Housing prices have really gone up but property taxes are so cheap. OUr house is worth 300k and we pay 700/year for taxes. There is a ton of things to do here. Lake Tahoe is only 45 min's away and SF is 3 1/2 hours. KM: we have had 4 dogs for most of the last 10 years and it has never been an issue. I suppose if a neighbor does not like you and turns you in it could be a problem.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I did see this guy on a walk a few years ago where we used to live. Yes, I took the photo at about 20ft. The grounds were protected by the city, but honestly, neighbors barking doss were more of a concern. These guys if anything were some cheap pest control.

Like anything else, we share our environment with those who live there too. But I have not seen one for years in a development. We do have a society that relocates them if they get too close and looks after them. "The St. Augustine Alligator Farm". A tourist hot spot.
See your gator and raise one bear. 50.jpeg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
OUr house is worth 300k and we pay 700/year for taxes.
Your my hero.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

BCG: before you get too excited our general cost of living is higher then in the Midwest. Our sales tax is high, food, car gas, etc also higher. Also we have less services here then in other states. Although, property taxes can be a killer in other places. The weird thing about our property tax is that it is based on the age of the home. So someone with an old million dollar home will pay less then someone with a newer home. That was so retirees don't get priced out of their homes.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote