Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you move to FL rent, but buy a place in Reno.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #122
Dryer sheet aficionado

We considered the Henderson area when we were looking for places to retire. This was about 10 years ago, but we looked at different developments in the area. We finally ended up in the San Diego area, started in Silicon Valley, but after visiting Las Vegas and motorcycling around NV, I am glad we passed. The area is very hot and often quite windy and once you get away from the strip, things get seedy in a hurry. I do have a former co-worker who is building a house in a ritzy development in the north part of Reno. Houses are beautiful but you will still get the heat and also snow in winter. Depends on what floats you boat.

Had parents in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL. Think the TPC golf tourney at Sawgrass. Nice affluent area, but lots if old people filling the handicapped parking and going out to dinner early. And as someone mentioned, the humidity!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NookWine-n-Tinker View Post
We finally ended up in the San Diego area, started in Silicon Valley, but after visiting Las Vegas and motorcycling around NV, I am glad we passed. The area is very hot and often quite windy and once you get away from the strip, things get seedy in a hurry.

Really? If you left the Strip and went to a seedy area, you either didn't go very far or you went the wrong direction. Many parts of Las Vegas have neighborhoods ranging from "clean and friendly family neighborhood with people who have lived there 10+ years" to "does that house have a golf course in the backyard" I've lived in and visited MANY Vegas neighborhoods that I would feel comfortable in any time of day or night.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #124
Dryer sheet aficionado

Citrus County is a nice part of Florida, especially the Crystal River area. Have lived here for a number of years as a northern transplant.
What I like:
1. Low cost of living, real estate taxes are quite low, I pay 1/3 of what I used to pay in PA for a nicer house.
2. Golf: I like to golf and there are a dozen courses within 30 minutes from me, and all are pretty reasonable. I routinely play 18 with a cart for arounf $20.
3. Weather: Sure, the summers are humid, but with a pool and the typical afternoon rain, I actually enjoy the summers. October-March are just beautiful here.
4. Nature coast: This part of Florida is pretty much rural, coastal and life revolves around the rivers and the gulf. The crystal river is the same 72 degrees year round, and swimming with the manatees is fun and never seems to get old.
What I don't like:
1. Another poster referred to a term Redneck Riviera. There is some truth to this, it is not exactly the cultural center of the world, so one has to travel for some of that.
2. Economy: This part of Florida is still depressed, and there is a divide between the locals and the retiree transplants that is quite noticeable to me. People work really hard in this part of the world for very little money. Labor intensive jobs seem to cost half or less what I am used to seeing up north.
3. Lightning: Strangely enough, the only thing that bothers me about the weather is the lightning. Florida gets more strikes per year than anywhere, and I have had a few close calls with quick striking storms while out in the gulf on the boat as well as the golf course. It can get pretty intense.

All in all, Citrus County is ideal for us as we like the low cost of living, the weather, and the boating.
courtjustshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today I stumbled across an enormous spider inside my house - about the size of a house cat (ok, it was actually the size of a quarter). Long-story-short, I tried to put the spider outside, but it landed on my calf instead and bit me. Ouch! I was worried that I might go into shock and die from the venom, but so far no ill effects.

Moral of the story: if you move to Florida, you'll be stalked by killer spiders the size of house cats. Nevada is a far safer option. 🕷
socca is offline   Reply With Quote