Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's been 6 (ex-)working days since I twisted off. I will go pick up my last
paycheck at the job site today. Just their way of making sure you are really alive
I suppose. I had 27 yrs of automatic payroll deposit. I have not had to take
even one tranquilizer or sleeping pill to get through the last 2 weeks NOT ONE!
YAY!

When DW gets recovered from forthcoming medical procedure, I hope we can
hit the high road to danger and spend this winter below the snow / ice belt.
Trvl Trlr is road ready and waiting.

The stress I feel now is the approach of freezing temperatures, geese and songbirds are already en-route. We are still in the snow belt.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
It's been 6 (ex-)working days since I twisted off. I will go pick up my last
paycheck at the job site today. Just their way of making sure you are really alive
I suppose. I had 27 yrs of automatic payroll deposit. I have not had to take
even one tranquilizer or sleeping pill to get through the last 2 weeks NOT ONE!
YAY!

When DW gets recovered from forthcoming medical procedure, I hope we can
hit the high road to danger and spend this winter below the snow / ice belt.
Trvl Trlr is road ready and waiting.

The stress I feel now is the approach of freezing temperatures, geese and songbirds are already en-route. We are still in the snow belt.
I live in Upstate NY, not the official "snow belt", but still we get snow and it is in the official "colder than an IRS agent's heart belt". For years I couldn't wait to retire so I could get somewhere warmer for the winter months. This will be my first winter completely retired, and somehow, the urgency to leave has diminished. I have no concrete winter plans for the southland. Probably because DW is still working. But just knowing I could leave at the drop of a hat (or an invitation from one of my many snowbirding friends) has me feeling completely free of the stress and anxiety I used to feel about the impending winter.

I hope you have a great first winter of retirement, and please keep us posted on how this winter goes for you.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks, Part of this journey may be me visiting an Army buddy in your area. Think he lives near Sherill, NY. Leave the TT at my folks in the
sunbelt and drive up to see him if we can fit it into the adventure.
I hope my want to is not bigger than my can do.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
For years I couldn't wait to retire so I could get somewhere warmer for the winter months. This will be my first winter completely retired, and somehow, the urgency to leave has diminished.
Same thing happened to me too. It makes a huge difference when you don't HAVE to go out in the snow. And you can plan grocery runs and stuff for when the traffic is light. If a heavy snow is forecast for here we just stock up on food and maybe some DVD's or just stream movies. I've been known to not leave the house for a week except to get the mail and newspaper.

That would drive a "Type A" person up the wall of course but it works for us.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Congrats. Your post reminds me that the only thing I'm really sorry about regarding my retirement is that neither of my parents lived long enough to see it. Once I grew up and became a w*rking stiff, my time with my folks was always squeezed into little slots of time that I could be away from work. Now I have the time, but they are gone.
Enjoy your time with your parents. I hope they are well.
Very nice!!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Still preparing and winterizing the house and the trlr and tying up loose ends. Attempting to leave late sept. to mid Oct. DW is healing from medical procedure for pain management. I plan to get her out walking. Wish me luck on that as she has been too sedentary for way too long. Parents are anxious to have us visit. I would really like to get the income from the Gov teat more jelled before we leave.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
So I have asked a hundred people, 50 said start Social Security, 50 said wait to start.
The more I think about this the less convinced I am that it makes a big difference. If I take the monthly benefit early I will be drawing down my savings less and leaving them invested where hopefully they will earn at least 7%.

I guess you could consider the 8% a year on the SS benefit as guaranteed. However we all know that the SS Trust fund is going bust and the politicians have so far not lifted a finger to address the issue because they cannot get along or cooperate on anything (both sides Ds and Rs at fault here).

So I am beginning to believe that it does not make all that much difference when you decide to take the benefit. In my case I think that my wife might take it when she is 64ish and I might take it when I am 66ish. However, if the market crashes we will likely take it sooner than that to avoid withdrawing equities when the market is down.