Deferred compensation

Franklin

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone gave a good resource center for deferred comp. I have a question about which state will tax my distributions. I earned all of the monies in a high tax state and plan to move to a low tax state once the distributions begin. The distributions are mixed per each year I deferred. Some will payout over 5 years and others I ran out to 15 years. From my research so far I get mixed messaging. I'd hate to have the high tax state take their cut once I move to the low cost state (then have the low cost state ask for their cut once I move). Anyone out there have experience with this?

After you move, the income may or may not be taxed by the new state where you reside; as with pension income, this varies by state:

https://rpea.org/retirement-planning/pension-tax-by-state/

When you no longer live there, the high-tax state doesn't get a cut.
Thanks Lucky. My Mega corp (in California) says they plan to withhold California state tax even if I move to a less taxed state (Georgia). They say that any distributions recieved within the first 10 years from termination would be withheld for California even though I may have moved out of state. My deferred comp is in a non qualified plan and pays quarterly between now and out beyond 15 years. Seems my new state would ask for their share once I move. I read the link you gave me and both states tax the income at their normal state rates. I guess Ill need to either call the number in the link or get a tax attorney. Mega corp said they would withhold California tax and I'd have to seek a refund once I move (seems odd).

Thanks Franklin. The withholding requirement seems odd since it seems clear that California can't impose income tax on a non-resident who receives such distributions. If you get more information, I'm interested in finding out.

Thanks Franklin. The withholding requirement seems odd since it seems clear that California can't impose income tax on a non-resident who receives such distributions. If you get more information, I'm interested in finding out.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

The FTB is...well, aggressive might be an understatement. Here’s a link & excerpt that might help. See example #10 below. Also, go to the FTB’s website.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/misc/1100.pdf

Attachments

• 913FF7D6-7735-4F1A-AC0E-0872183F8B04.jpg
    913FF7D6-7735-4F1A-AC0E-0872183F8B04.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 53
^^^^ I don't see either of those examples as being outrageous. In example 9, the taxpayer would need to file a non-resident tax return... I did lots of those.

Example 10 is a bit unusual for cash basis taxpayers and might not survive a court challenge... especially since the logical extension is that any deferred comp for services performed in CA would be taxable.

I suspect that Franklin's deferred comp may be non-qualified and that California may treat qualified and non-qualified retirement benefits differently.

Last edited:
State pensions are taxable by California HOWEVER you're asking about a 401k (deferred comp). If that concerned, why don't you roll it out to an IRA? Mine was a 457 (civil sector employee) and I had no issue transferring it to Schwab

I have 27% FED / 3% CA state withheld on disbursements to avoid an April pymt

Back
Top Bottom