Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I retired but was lured back for a part time job. A few months into it I knew it was a mistake . I just could not tolerate all the complaining any more so I gave my final notice and left for forever that time .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
But, not wanting to go to work the next day...is that a sign?
My question. Did any of you decide it was time to retire when going to work the next day bummed you out? --EVEN IF you were okay once you got there?
Ah, yes, you can Google the dreaded "Sunday night syndrome".

These days for us, Sunday night means "Well, now that the streets and the stores will be emptying out tomorrow, do we have any errands to run?"

Quote:
It needs lots of dry wall work because our collie mix of 12 years (She is much loved) chews holes in walls.
Wainscoting. Or drywall with a jalapeno-juice primer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
I still like working but heard that you should first try a long vacation (1 or 2 months?) as practice to leaving work
The homily is "You will know when it's time to go".

However if you're having doubts ("But... but what will I DO all day?!?") then a minimum of a six-week sabbatical is a very reassuring way to answer the question. The only problem is that it usually means you're going back to work, at which point you have to endure a certain amount of "I used to put up with this crap?!?" disillusionment before you can start your full-time ER.

"What will I do?!?" is one of the top three concerns of all ER wannabes. About two months after ER begins, though, the question changes to "What the heck was I worrying about?!?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
For the first 10 years or so of working (full-time), I looked forward to arriving at the office and also did not mind terribly the commute or the morning routine to get me to the train.
Funny...for the first 15 years or so for me, when I was late for my train and see it on the platform, I'd make a dash and catch it on time without hardly breaking a sweat. In the latter years, dashing to catch that train, I'd sweat like crazy and feel like I'd keel over from a heart attack.

Guess that should have been the indicator of time to call it quits. That I just callin' in "Sorry..missed train, gonna catch the late one..."
Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
I still like working but heard that you should first try a long vacation (1 or 2 months?) as practice to leaving work

phil
I heard that also. May 1st, I'll be four years into my "long vacation" ...

I hear "practice makes perfect". I'm trying hard every day to make this work...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had the feeling and wasn't (still not) in the position to ER, so I updated the resume and explored new opportunities. The grass is not always greener on the other side, but the change can be fun at times.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The "pain" happened to me in 1997 when a reorganization placed me in a group that clearly did not like "outsiders". I had enjoyed the j*b from the day I hired on in 1988.
I stuck it out until 2007, a very long 10 years. I kept my eye on the ball at all times.
I used that time to save a very good portion of my salary, building and building up a TSP 401(k) and an independent retirement portfolio, concurrently.
The day I submitted my voluntary resignation letter was one of the happiest days of my life. I chose April 1st as my official separation date.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Funny...for the first 15 years or so for me, when I was late for my train and see it on the platform, I'd make a dash and catch it on time without hardly breaking a sweat. In the latter years, dashing to catch that train, I'd sweat like crazy and feel like I'd keel over from a heart attack.

Guess that should have been the indicator of time to call it quits. That I just callin' in "Sorry..missed train, gonna catch the late one..."
I did not have as many mad dashes in my early years on the trains. But later on, I had more of them and I was often huffing and puffing to barely make the train. I had to climb a long staircase to get to the elevated platform, so after a sprint to get to the station that made the final leg even tougher. I was often close to vomiting (and passing out) after that sprint and climb.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The day I submitted my voluntary resignation letter was one of the happiest days of my life.
Same here. I still like to view the resignation letter I saved on the PC. It was short and to the point. My favorite part was one small sentence, "I am retiring."
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

The 'next day at work did not sound fun' was a significant factor for my retirement.

I'd been doing a whole bunch of performance tuning and bug fixing for a couple of software releases of a major desktop product. This was important to do, of course, but it tends to be deadly dull, tedious work full of fiddly details. Shave 1% off the execution time of this, make sure no side effects or behavior changes are introduced; Now figure out why THAT got 1% slower...

Then The Management announced that for our next major software release, rather than work on new features, tools, or interesting security enhancements, that we would be concentrating on performance tuning and bug fixing. Oh, joy. A couple more years of doing what I had done for the past several years.

This did not sound fun. Since I had the Financial Independence part done, the Retire Early decision came fairly easily.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I love some parts of my job, and dread others. Of late, the dreaded parts have become more onerous as we are short staffed. I recently resigned. I am not retiring yet, however, just moving to a different job. It is natural to make a change when frustration reaches a critical point.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Then The Management announced that for our next major software release, rather than work on new features, tools, or interesting security enhancements, that we would be concentrating on performance tuning and bug fixing. Oh, joy. A couple more years of doing what I had done for the past several years.
So has it come out blazingly fast and flawless yet?

I'm just glad you weren't at Intuit...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
So has it come out blazingly fast and flawless yet?

I'm just glad you weren't at Intuit...
Nah. They just shipped Mac OSX 10.6 instead.

Still waiting for a newer version of Quicken 20067 for Mac. The New Improved Nearly There Version 2011 can't quite manage to track cost basis or do complex stuff like capital gains/losses. Math is hard...
Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #33

I retired about 2 years after the next day at work didn't sound like fun. Wish I could have done it sooner!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Still waiting for a newer version of Quicken 20067 for Mac. The New Improved Nearly There Version 2011 can't quite manage to track cost basis or do complex stuff like capital gains/losses. Math is hard...
My daughter's used Quicken for over six years on a PC, and she was highly pissed to discover that Intuit has no respect for Macbook users...

Old 01-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #35

Work became toxic. Thankfully I saw it for what it was and bailed.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah yes - Sunday nights. I, and many of my friends, have this same feeling of dread. I don't sleep well on Sunday nights (actually, I don't sleep well at all right now because of work). The only thing that keeps me going is my firecalc projections that show I could probably retire now.....and so everything that I save now is gravy. I am planning to give it 103 more weeks taking my just into January of 2013. Counting down the weeks amuses me and keeps me focused on planning what I will do in retirement.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #37

There was no single thing which contributed to my decision to take early retirement (possibly as early as Feb 2012). It was an accumuation of mostly small things combined with a growing realisation that my career should not define my life.

One of the things was the rise of Fridayitis - the frequency of clients or colleagues giving me things to do on a Friday which are sufficiently urgent that they just have to be done on the weekend. Often they were urgent for no better reason than someone had sat on it for too long. I actually dread Fridays more than Monday.

I have better things to do on my weekends.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #38

I used to have Sundays like that, however, now I only work 4 morning a week so the pressure of getting through a 40+ hour week is no longer there.

It has been a big change and I really don't mind going into the office. So far it has been a good way to ease into retirement. I am 58 and I will probably continue this for a about 2-3 years. I am really trying to top off my 401k and have the health benefits for couple more years. My FT benefits got carried over to this PT position.

I feel fortunate to have this flexible employment arrangement.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #39

Thanks for all the responses; some of you sound like you know exactly how I am feeling. I told the principal that June 2012 is my retirement date (maybe I already posted that?)

Anyway, it feels great and this big smile will not leave my face.

The part time arrangement some of you have sounds like a perfect solution for you....though i am shying away from that...not that it would be easy to work out in my situation even if i wanted to w*rk partime.

Now the forum posts will be all-the-more-interesting! ~ with a set retirement date. The personal observations and encouragement are much appreciated.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I told the principal that June 2012 is my retirement date
OHYES!!!