Join Early Retirement Today

Do you wish to come sailing?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Do you wish to come sailing?

I retired early and I am a keen sailor. I have a yacht in South Wales and considerable difficult in finding crew. Most people are busy working. Of those that are not and retired, many are too old to be adventurous, many are unable to leave their partner, many are acring for a sick partner or family member. I am lucky to have the time. Do you have the time and wish to come sailing? I am not advertising a job, I am looking for somebody who is retired and therefore might have time to go sailing with me. Are there such members on your site? You need know nothing about sailing, except that you like it, and like exploring the Islands and Estuaries of Atlantic France.

The trip is from UK to the islands and estuaries of Atlantic France for 3+ months starting early June 2013. We expect to visit the magical islands of Archipel des Glénan, Belle Île, Île de Groix, Île de Noirmoutier, Île d’Yeu, Île de Ré, Île de L’Oleron, and also Golfe du Morbihan, La Rochelle, and possibly Ouessant, Île-Molène, Île de Sein, etc, etc. A visit to Lundy Island and the Isles of Scilly is also included for the return trip in early September. You do not need to know anything about sailing, other than that you like it. Ability to speak French is not essential. However, you do need to enjoy life afloat, exploring islands and estuaries, and preferably make a small contribution towards running costs. The big questions are, “Is this you?” and “Do you have the time?”
Roger Lloyd.
P.S. I still do not know what "Confused about dryer sheets" is all about. Nothing to do with me!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerLloyd View Post
P.S. I still do not know what "Confused about dryer sheets" is all about. Nothing to do with me!
Roger, if you own a yacht you are very confused about dryer sheets! The label is "spot on" and has everything to do with you.

"What's the deal with the dryer sheets?!?"

BTW, good luck in finding someone to spend three months as a crewmember on your yacht - and helping you pay your expenses.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
BTW, good luck in finding someone to spend three months as a crewmember on your yacht - and helping you pay your expenses.
I recall one executive where I w*rked who often said that some employees received so much benefit, in terms of skill enhancement and market value, that they should pay, and not be paid, to work there. When we became peers and I heard his comments behind closed doors and realized he was completely serious.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
When we became peers and I heard his comments behind closed doors and realized he was completely serious delusional.
FIFY

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh my God. I was born 10 miles from there. I miss this region so very, very much...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerLloyd View Post
, Île de Groix
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Very tempting, but I'm probably at least a year or two from being able to take off like this. My fiancee and I have both worked professionally as sailors, and I'm licensed in the US (100 ton masters with sail endorsement) and have a little French. Ask again in a year or so and we might well be willing and able to join, though not in a position to contribute in the way of money.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Oh my God. I was born 10 miles from there. I miss this region so very, very much...
Oby, signs don't get any clearer. And if this wasn't enough, it also helps that other issue you have Will obgyn65 meet his goal ?

I wouldn't wait a second more.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
+1

Oby, how well can you row?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best of luck, have you tried any of the sailing sites/forums? Seems a more likely place to find a hit...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the forum Roger - as other said, have you looked on crew finder forums?
Like Free sailing and cruising crewfinder (crew wanted) listing by CruiserLog for yachts and offshore ocean boats.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #11

Hi,
No. There are not paying my expenses. They are paying their expenses.
Roger
Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Oby, signs don't get any clearer. And if this wasn't enough, it also helps that other issue you have Will obgyn65 meet his goal ?

Obgyn65, seriously, maybe you could take a vacation in that area. After all you have given to others, I think that a trip to the area you hold so dear, near the Île de Groix would be a wonderful, wonderful thing to give to yourself.

None of us live forever and this sounds like something you should consider doing before you get too old to do it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:
We have the same feelings about where we were living when our children were born, which is why we went back and spent 7 months there just after we retired. We loved the place, and still do. We'll spend about 5 weeks there again this summer on our European trip. (which starts in 2 days time )

You need to have a plan to go back when you RE, if not before.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabourne View Post
Very tempting, but I'm probably at least a year or two from being able to take off like this. My fiancee and I have both worked professionally as sailors, and I'm licensed in the US (100 ton masters with sail endorsement) and have a little French. Ask again in a year or so and we might well be willing and able to join, though not in a position to contribute in the way of money.
I also find this very tempting but am also at least one year from being able to do this. Unfortunately, I have no experience nor French; so, I am not sure your would even want me. If you do, it does sound like a grand way to spend next summer.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We have the same feelings about where we were living when our children were born, which is why we went back and spent 7 months there just after we retired. We loved the place, and still do. We'll spend about 5 weeks there again this summer on our European trip. (which starts in 2 days time )

You need to have a plan to go back when you RE, if not before.
I am thinking about doing something similar. I love your DW's idea of the repositioning cruises. I hope you have a wonderful trip. We are looking forward to hearing about it!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #16

Not great :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Oby, how well can you row?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #17

Thank you. I will be going back to Central America to run a clinic and in Latin America in June-July to oversee an orphanage. I will go back to Bretagne in September. I do miss the beach, the ocean, the Coast, and the language everyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Obgyn65, seriously, maybe you could take a vacation in that area. After all you have given to others, I think that a trip to the area you hold so dear, near the Île de Groix would be a wonderful, wonderful thing to give to yourself.

None of us live forever and this sounds like something you should consider doing before you get too old to do it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Roger,

I hope you find someone to go with you. My wife and I lived in the north (Cockermouth and Hartlepool) for five years in the early 1990s. One of the best moves I ever made was marrying her, or maybe asking her for a date when I was 17. There is no better way to get reliable crew. Anyway, we are on our boat in Miami waiting for better weather to cross over to the Bahamas for the sixth year. When we left England in June of 1994, I (not we) considered buying a boat there and sailing off. What actually happened was we came back to the US, she retired first, then I retired in 2004 when we were 54. We spent a couple of springs in the Chesapeake Bay, one on Carolina coast, then began leaving for the Bahamas in January and returning in June to our home in the Tennessee mountains.

Click on my name to the left. You'll find a link to my wife's Bahamas sailing blog.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #19

Thanks for advice about sailing forums. I thought there might be some potential crew in Early Retirement.
Roger
Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #20

Hi, Thanks for your story. You seem to have life organised!
Unfortunately, some fiances are keener to sail than some wives!
Sorry. I could not find button to blog!
Regards
Roger