Join Early Retirement Today

Done at 55, but it wasn’t supposed to happen this way
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Done at 55, but it wasn’t supposed to happen this way

Pulled the plug in January after a great career – challenging work, great bosses and co-workers (in the main) and financially rewarding. Had long thought I’d work for several more years and take a look at retiring after the kids got a little older. Things happen in life though, bad things sometimes, and plans have to change.

Two years ago, my wife of 29 years was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She was a SAHM and we had 2 pre-teen kids (started the family VERY late). My job was requiring 25%+ travel.

Caring for her and the kids become my priority and full time job. My employer was incredibly supportive, making immediate adjustments to my workload that allowed me to continue to contribute.

Fast forward a year, she is gone, the kids have maintained their excellent grades throughout it all and I knew I could not go back to working the way I had while raising the kids. Worked out an arrangement with my employer that allowed me to wrap up after the first of the year.

Financially, I’m fine. Not as much as I hoped to have before I quit working, but enough to live like we had been for the foreseeable future.

Will be relocating to another part of Florida when the school year is over to provide us a different lifestyle than the suburban living of S. Florida.

The adventure continues……….
FlaGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Very sorry for your loss - something many of us have contemplated as one of our worse fears. For me personally, a fear of serious health issues was one of the key drivers for retiring earlier than I had previously planned. I wish you and your kids the very best.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I applaud your positive attitude, which comes through in your post. And, yes, the adventure will continue...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

Heartbreaking yet filled with hope. Your children will cherish the attention you are able to now give them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow FlaGator, I see situations like yours everyday in my practice and in fact, like so many others, one of the prime reasons for pursuing FI early enough to enjoy some of the fruits of my labor. I am sorry for the loss of your beloved.

Floatingdoc

We are moving from NY to SWfl in July!!! I am retiring at the end of March 2015
Quantum Sufficit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry for your loss. While everyone on this forum wants to reach FIRE, no one wants to for that reason. Your positive attitude shines through in your post. Wishing you nothing but the best for you and your children in this next chapter in your lives.
Klubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FlaGator, very sorry for your loss. Health issues, or fear of them advanced my retirement. Your wife sure picked a great father for your kids. Best wishes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Have to agree with the rest, your positive outlook and putting priority on family and children will have all of this work out good for you. I am glad that you are not defining your life by work. Work enables us to have the things in life that we need. Fortunately you have the financial means to now be a SAHD.

Stick around and enjoy the board here. Welcome to the forum.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for your loss. You sound like a GREAT Dad, focused on the welfare of your kids. Wishing you best in FIRE.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #10

Very sorry for your loss, but glad that the financial decisions you made earlier in life allow you to make the decision to dedicate your time to your kids now when they need you.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #11

OMG, sorry for your loss. Many times on this site our tales are of a humorous vein. But life's cruelties affect so many people. You seem to have a great spirit. Glad to see that your children are doing well. All the best,
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Great job staying positive for your children. Hopefully the next part of your journey works out well for all of you. Deepest sympathies for your lose. You were very blessed on having an understanding employer.
ERTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #13

Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement.

I hope to be able to contribute at least as much as I have learned from this group.
FlaGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

FlaGator, I hope I never have to deal with the situation like yours but I could only hope to act with your courage and hope for the future as it's clear your father role is now your priority, no one could fault that choice. I'm sorry for your loss and admire your actions, it's why we save the money, to use it when it counts.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Powerful post. Thank you for sharing. These tragedies remind of us how precious and unpredictable life can be. I lost a close relative when he was just in his mid-40's.

I admire you and others on this site for realizing life is more than keeping up the Jones'.
Best wishes to you.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #16

So sorry for your loss. Your positive attitude is inspirational. All the best to you and your children.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #17

Gladiator,
Thank you for your post. it's inspiring. I am in a very similar boat.

After 27 years of marriage, I lost the man of my dreams to leukemia, 13 months ago. I am still devastated and trying to make halfway decent financial decisions.

God bless you and your kids.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #18

I'm so very sorry this happened.
I agree with what another person here said, your wife picked a good man to be the father of your kids.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote