Join Early Retirement Today

Don't Call Me Noob!!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Don't Call Me Noob!!

I prefer Newbie

Just sort of stumbled across this site while surfing and spent a few days lurking. I'm 51 ( closer to 52 ) and strongly considering semi-retirement at age 55. I'm recently divorced after a 21 year marriage and my ex is my business partner in a small real estate brokerage/property management firm. No kids of my own, but have two grown step-daughters. After perusing a bunch of threads, this looked like a terrific place to bounce some ideas around and gain some sage advice. Just wanted to stop here and say " Hi " before barraging you folks with questions in other sub-forums!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. Fire away with your questions.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi. Lot of smart people here. Im not one of them. Enjoy your stay
Old 08-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Welcome...bounce away!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank-You for the welcome!!

As I mentioned, I'm seeking to semi-retire in about three years. After my separation/divorce, I took some time to heal and am now exploring a lifestyle change. I co-own a small real estate/property management business and am beginning to feel the effects of burnout after over 20 years in the business. I have the opportunity to drastically reduce my work load and work just a couple days a week. However, I will take a hit financially in that my salary will be cut by 65%. I will receive my full share of company profit as well as full medical benefits, Roth contribution, fuel, and phone. My home ( zero lot line home in an upscale community ) is paid for, as is my vehicle. My only debt is a business loan which is secured by several rental condominiums which belong to the business. I also have 50% interest in a home in the NE that my mother lives in as well as equity in the business. In semi-retirement, I would have an after tax income of approximately 35k annually not including any interest on savings. It's a difficult decision and I suppose I'm looking for a few devils advocates here.

I am looking for a tightknit community and am considering selling my home here and moving 30 miles south into a 55+ community ( For several reasons ). There are several upscale communities near the I-75 corridor that I must be near to commute for a few days a week. Does anyone here have any experience with this type of community?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Welcome from a fellow Floridan !
Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This thread might help...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ment+community

You can do an advanced search regarding retirement communities in the "life after fire" forum.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
This thread might help...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ment+community

You can do an advanced search regarding retirement communities in the "life after fire" forum.
Thanks for the link and the tip! Much appreciated!

Moemg,

Thanks and greetings from the " Not Much Sunshine Right Now State "
Old 08-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Have you left a comment on the pre-nup thread?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Have you left a comment on the pre-nup thread?
No, why do you ask, dex?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
No, why do you ask, dex?
"After my separation/divorce, I took some time to heal and am now exploring a lifestyle change"
Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hello there, Newbie. To quote the skunk in Bambi, "you can call me Flower." Greetings from the West Coast, go ahead, feel free to call it Frisco. What can we make of this, "when you go to Frisco-land, we sure to wear some flowers in your stinker."

Welcome, Sinny.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
"After my separation/divorce, I took some time to heal and am now exploring a lifestyle change"
Ahhh...gotcha. Didn't have two nickels to rub together when I got married, I had no pre-nup. And, since I don't plan on being married anytime soon, I avoid anything that has to do with the word " nuptials " or any variation of the word.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Hello there, Newbie. To quote the skunk in Bambi, "you can call me Flower." Greetings from the West Coast, go ahead, feel free to call it Frisco. What can we make of this, "when you go to Frisco-land, we sure to wear some flowers in your stinker."

Welcome, Sinny.
When I lived in Phoenix, I took a trip to the Colorado river with some friends. One of the girls picked a pretty flower from the river bank, dropped her bikini bottom and placed the stem of the flower in her stinker. Someone took a picture. I forgot about that until I read that line in your post

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
When I lived in Phoenix, I took a trip to the Colorado river with some friends. One of the girls picked a pretty flower from the river bank, dropped her bikini bottom and placed the stem of the flower in her stinker. Someone took a picture. I forgot about that until I read that line in your post

Thanks for the welcome!
What are the odds? If we took a poll, how many on this board can say they've seen anything like that. Not I! I have good friends in Phoenix, so have been there many times, still haven't seen that.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What are the odds? If we took a poll, how many on this board can say they've seen anything like that. Not I! I have good friends in Phoenix, so have been there many times, still haven't seen that.
As*tronomical!

I lived in Phoenix from '80 to '84. Well before Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, et al become one metropolis. Man, that place grew like mad. Perhaps on your next trip you can keep your eye out for a blonde wearing a flower