Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd suggest reading the book the Millionaire Next Door. You can find an excerpt online for free at -
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s...llionaire.html

"About one in five of us is retired. About two-thirds of us who are working are self-employed. Interestingly, self-employed people make up less than 20 percent of the workers in America but account for two-thirds of the millionaires. Also, three out of four of us who are self-employed consider ourselves to be entrepreneurs. Most of the others are self-employed professionals, such as doctors and accountants."

Maybe you could look for something to do where you could be your own boss and make more money than you do now. If you enjoy what you do you may not even want to retire.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:02 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Sad? Come on, you are richer than most everyone your age. You have a job that pays decently and has a better lifestyle than your prior job. I don't feel the least bit bad that you won't have a million by the time you are 30.
I am a man with large dreams. They killed the last guy with one too

Isn't one supposed to feel sorry for someone that tries for a dream and then falls short? I haven't yet reached 30, so I still have a chance of being succesfull and I won't give up.

If a professional sports athlete comes in 3 place would you say at least he's still a professional sports athlete....

Don't get me wrong. I am very happy with the success I have had to date. But don't think for one second that it wasn't achieved without sacrifices: Living below my means, sacrificing relationships, and working through blood, sweat and tears.
Bankerwithabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerwithabrain View Post
But don't think for one second that it wasn't achieved without sacrifices: Living below my means, sacrificing relationships, and working through blood, sweat and tears.
I can see why you would consider that as 'sad'. Some things aren't worth giving up for money.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This is confusing. Are you suggesting your "dream" of early retirement is somehow comparable to Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream" speech. What do you mean?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There's a difference between enjoying a fantasy and working toward a goal...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
This is confusing. Are you suggesting your "dream" of early retirement is somehow comparable to Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream" speech. What do you mean?
For sure. We both want freedom...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Son, you are traveling into territory only occupied by fools. A lot of narcissism is expected around here, but your level may be setting a new target.

Ha
Old 10-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Isn't one supposed to feel sorry for someone that tries for a dream and then falls short?
No? Why would we? I never played bass on tour with Eric Clapton (yet), but I wouldn't expect anybody to feel sorry for me.

Quote:
I haven't yet reached 30, so I still have a chance of being succesfull and I won't give up.
Is there another choice?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I am very happy with the success I have had to date. But don't think for one second that it wasn't achieved without sacrifices: Living below my means, sacrificing relationships, and working through blood, sweat and tears.
You've definitely come to the wrong place. None of us had to do any of those things for our FIRE. Bunch of silver spoon suckers, here.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is confusing. Are you suggesting your "dream" of early retirement is somehow comparable to Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream" speech.
Son, you are traveling into territory only occupied by fools. A lot of narcissism is expected around here, but your level may be setting a new target.

Ha
+10!
I have so had it with people comparing themselves to Dr King when their situation isn't remotely similar. He was assassinated more than a decade before you were born, Banker, so maybe this is just ignorance on your part, rather than the combination of self-aggrandizement and totally unjustified self-pity that it sounds like to me.

First of all, that dream you're trying to cloak yourself in was for the benefit of people who were genuinely oppressed, both politically and economically. IMO, anyone who's been able to amass a six-figure portfolio before turning 30 doesn't even begin to fit into that category. I'm both black, and old enough to remember Dr King, and I can't remotely consider myself oppressed. (To a significant extent this is thanks to Dr King and the other Civil Rights activists, and the rest to my parents. I can't take any credit for it—it was handed to me, and all I had to do was not drop it.) I think, in the US at any rate, you have to go back another generation, to people of Dr King's age and perhaps also of his upbringing in the segregated South of those days, before you get to people who really understand, through personal experience, where he was coming from, or who can maybe draw comparisons between him and themselves without looking ridiculous.

Second, and IMO even more important, Dr King's dream was largely for the benefit of others, not for his own personal advantage. Can you say the same of your goal of accumulating a million by age 30? Sure, you are aiming high, and I recognize that it has required and will continue to require both effort and discipline on your part. To that extent, it's a praiseworthy goal. But even if you accomplish it, it will primarily benefit you, your family, and any charities you may support. It isn't going to win you the Nobel Peace Prize, and rightly so.

There really isn't any comparison at all between your (or my) dream of financial independence or retiring early, and Dr King's dream.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Here's an interesting link: Narcissistic Personality Disorder

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Heck... I didn't even associate his dream with MLK... they are so far apart that it never clicked in my head... until I read other posts....

Sooo, not much to add except that your dream was a bit hard to get... so failing is no big deal... and I can tell you that if I finished 3rd in a competition I would be thrilled... that would mean that I am at the top of my sport... oh well, moving on where I can add value or at least an opinion.....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Here's an interesting link: Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Years ago wouldn't these conditions just have been described as blind ambition? IDK, but it came to mind when reading the description.

As a preemptive strike to those who would read it as such, I don't mean ambition related to window treatments. The OP doesn't strike me as the interior decorator type.
SunsetSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Heck... I didn't even associate his dream with MLK... they are so far apart that it never clicked in my head... until I read other posts....
I think the tipoff was the OP's saying that the big dreamer he was comparing himself to had been killed.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I think the tipoff was the OP's saying that the big dreamer he was comparing himself to had been killed.

I saw that and was wondering... who the heck is he talking about As I said, I just could not take the leap from the Grand Canyon that exists between the OP and MLKs dreams... others got it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

It was a joke! Wow, lots of stiffs...
Old 10-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #76

Quote:
It was a joke! Wow, lots of stiffs...
Completely tasteless and frankly I don't believe you that it was intended as a joke. I think you are trying to wriggle out of the mess that you got yourself in.

Thanks for the gratuitous insult that anyone who doesn't go along with you is a "stiff"

I'm not amused. I'm incensed.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Completely tasteless and frankly I don't believe you that it was intended as a joke. I think you are trying to wriggle out of the mess that you got yourself in.

Thanks for the gratuitous insult that anyone who doesn't go along with you is a "stiff"

I'm not amused. I'm incensed.
Yeah- because the giant smiley face didn't suggest it was a joke from the beginning?

And wow, to be incensed that someone could compare the desire to retire early, and not have to work anymore, to being freed from a slavery? That is super inappropriate? Langston Hughes would have been upset?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Look on the bright side... you have a job and a nice start on a nest egg and you are not 30 yet.

You are doing pretty good!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes, I think of work as a kind of indentured servitude.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Sometimes, I think of work as a kind of indentured servitude.
Is "indentured servitude" still legal today? Can I, today, go to a 3rd world country and sign up a servant? Just curious.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote