Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe you thrive on this?

What's offensive isn't whether you made a tasteless joke or not.

You do sincerely seem to believe that your aspirations for financial independence at an early age are akin to the Civil Rights movement and you personally are worthy of comparison with Dr King in your respective efforts. I guess I am speechless. Perhaps I should have let it go at that.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not legally bound to my employer, so no, it's not literally indentured servitude. But psychologically, it feels like I can't break away.

I may be able to FIRE now but it feels like I need to hold off.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

And a small head...or something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerwithabrain View Post
I am a man with large dreams. They killed the last guy with one too
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #84

Removed.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #85

Quote:
Yeah- because the giant smiley face didn't suggest it was a joke from the beginning?
Not entirely, and your reply of "For sure" to G_O's question of whether you were comparing yourself to Dr King had no smiley and, to me, appeared to be completely straight-faced.

Quote:
And wow, to be incensed that someone could compare the desire to retire early, and not have to work anymore, to being freed from a slavery? That is super inappropriate? Langston Hughes would have been upset?
Now you're comparing yourself to a slave, are you? If that's a joke, it's in even worse taste than your previous effort. If you're serious, you need to think about what you're saying. Where is the bill of sale that says you are someone else's property? Who got paid for your work—you or your owner? When was the last time you were whipped because you didn't do what you were told, or didn't finish your work as fast as you were supposed to? Is it illegal for you to learn to read? Where is the law that says if you don't like being treated that way and try to escape, anyone who realizes you are a runaway is legally required to help your owner retrieve you? How about the ones that allow your children to be sold, your wife or daughter to be raped by the owner, and you or your son to be killed for trying to defend them?

If those things couldn't happen to you and you're not subject to those laws, then you aren't a slave. Based on your description of your circumstances, I would say not only are you not a slave, your situation isn't remotely comparable to slavery. You are belittling the experience of everyone who truly was a slave, who really was subject to those laws, and did actually did suffer those things, by likening your well-paid, legally-protected, free-to-come-and-go-at-your-own-choosing, self to them.

It's insulting. Stop it.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

It is insulting to anyone who knows anything about slavery, or especially to one has ancestral links to being enslaved, and utterly ridiculous. I hope this character retires soon so he cannot possibly have any effect or influence on any events of the world.

Ha
Old 10-11-2010, 04:05 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow.

As if I'm the first person to make the comparison that working is like indentured servitude?

This is what is wrong with America today. This stupid liberal PC BS.

I made my comment completely in jest. Work feels like indentured servitude. Clearly the Jews had it worse in Egypt and the blacks had it worse here!

But anyone who denies that sometimes working long hours, 24, 48 hour shifts does not sometimes feel like slavery is, for lack of a better word, stupid.

There have been thousands of articles that make this comparison.

You become a slave to money, a slave to your job, a slave to your debts.

I am not going to apologize or be PC about this. I said nothing wrong.

I like Martin Luther King Jr. as much as the next guy. But I am not going to play into this political correctness.

I'm pretty sure Chapelle made the exact same joke too.
Bankerwithabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:42 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

If you aren't happy with your current situation, take your big brain and go do sometime positive and proactive about it. Like maybe quit complaining and go join Ramit Sethi's Earn1k program. Be forewarned, though -- he doesn't take kindly to/waste his time with people who aren't willing to make actual, regular steps toward pursing their dreams.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow.

As if I'm the first person to make the comparison that working is like indentured servitude?

This is what is wrong with America today. This stupid liberal PC BS.

I made my comment completely in jest. Work feels like indentured servitude. Clearly the Jews had it worse in Egypt and the blacks had it worse here!

But anyone who denies that sometimes working long hours, 24, 48 hour shifts does not sometimes feel like slavery is, for lack of a better word, stupid.

There have been thousands of articles that make this comparison.

You become a slave to money, a slave to your job, a slave to your debts.

I am not going to apologize or be PC about this. I said nothing wrong.

I like Martin Luther King Jr. as much as the next guy. But I am not going to play into this political correctness.

I'm pretty sure Chapelle made the exact same joke too.
It's not political correctness. It's me telling you straight up, to your face, like a man, you have a crappy sense of humor and an incredibly overinflated ego. Everybody says something stupid sometimes. A responsible person sucks it up, says "oops, sorry", learns from it, and tries not to do it again. Give it a try sometime. I have to do it all the time, since my mouth is faster than my brain quite often.

We all know work can suck, that's why we're here. It's not what you meant, it's how you said it that was jerky.

If you go back and re-read the whole thread, you will see that people were responding thoughtfully, trying to be helpful, and giving their opinions (which you had asked for). It wasn't until you started whining about how hard your life was and then made a tasteless joke that people started giving you a hard time. So what's more likely, that we all misunderstood you, or that what you wrote was in poor taste? I'm going with the majority interpretation on this one.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It's not political correctness. It's me telling you straight up, to your face, like a man, you have a crappy sense of humor and an incredibly overinflated ego.
We need more people like you around here, Harley. Don't feel bad though if he comes back with some even more idiotic replies. People like himself really enjoy being insulted. Some how those have acquired a really thick smelly layer of skin.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

I would have bet the worst job in the U.S. today is still better than the best "job" held by a slave, Bankerwithabrain, but maybe your job is really that horrible. But then you can always quit, can't you?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #93

Yeah, this PC BS sucks. Us white people are sooooo oppressed now we can't make uninformed comments about racial groups any more.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote