Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Please tell us that malaprop was causes by an illiterate overzealous spellchecking program.
I think that it's probably a mute point now. Even though it bothers you, I could care less. Really, it's all one in the same. When you feel the need to point these things out, you need to nip it in the butt. You shouldn't let it phase you. If you think you can change the way people say things, you've got another thing coming. Anyway, I'm sure it was said on accident. Sometimes you just have to except it. But you did ax about it. I'll be waiting for the response with baited breath.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think that it's probably a mute point now. Even though it bothers you, I could care less. Really, it's all one in the same. When you feel the need to point these things out, you need to nip it in the butt. You shouldn't let it phase you. If you think you can change the way people say things, you've got another thing coming. Anyway, I'm sure it was said on accident. Sometimes you just have to except it. But you did ax about it. I'll be waiting for the response with baited breath.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley fisher View Post
....For all intensive purposes, I am not qualified to do anything other than my current job......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
....Please tell us that malaprop was causes by an illiterate overzealous spellchecking program.
Quote:
I think that it's probably a mute point now. ....you need to nip it in the butt ....Sometimes you just have to except it. ...
Good ones Milt's head is probably spinning.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Good ones Milt's head is probably spinning.
You forgot
Quote:
But you did ax about it
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You both forgot:
Quote:
I could care less ... it's all one in the same. You shouldn't let it phase you ... you've got another thing coming. Anyway, I'm sure it was said on accident.... I'll be waiting for the response with baited breath.
Well done, Harley!. You must have had fun putting that together.

People's capacity for mixing up words often exceeds my apprehension.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I don't buy it. Insisting that a spouse work when they don't need to is coercive and corrosive to the relationship. The OP is supposed to suck it up and be unhappy until he gets permission to do what makes him happy so his wife doesn't have to go though the hard work of understanding their true financial position. Were the sexes reversed in this discussion, I think the guy would be seen as a bully.
I'm in the same situation- only my HUSBAND doesn't want me to quit. I don't think he is a bully- he is a pessimist. But I'm done going over charts and graphs. Even the one that showed it would take a 3.5% return for 50 years to produce a failure. There is no amount of money that will make him feel safe, and I'm just not working for 10 more years to try to achieve that. He doesn't have to retire and he probably won't. He makes more than enough to support us, and while I couldn't get my old job back, or one making the same amount of money, I could certainly get one that would support our spending. We have a great marriage and after years of talking about it, he's accepted that its going to happen...
Old 08-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #67

Good for you. You make several valid points.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

In our case, I talked to DW for a decade or so about my plans for us to RE as soon as it was (very conservatively) financially feasible. I ran numbers for her, pointed out the my mom and brother both died before age 43, and overall made sure that she was aware of my intentions. Well, as I turned 50 and was ready to take the plunge, she freaked out! She had heard me for all those years, but never really accepted that it was possible to retire young and just assumed I was spouting gibberish. So despite all the communication, we had to do it all over again before I left the job. Now, 10 years down the road, she's ecstatic that we've had all this time away from the man. She admits it's the best thing we could have done.

It just goes to show that the standard "make sure you communicate" advice doesn't always work. But keep pushing and make sure she knows how important and doable it is. You'll be fine in the long run.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I'm in the same situation- only my HUSBAND doesn't want me to quit. I don't think he is a bully- he is a pessimist. But I'm done going over charts and graphs. Even the one that showed it would take a 3.5% return for 50 years to produce a failure. There is no amount of money that will make him feel safe, and I'm just not working for 10 more years to try to achieve that. He doesn't have to retire and he probably won't. He makes more than enough to support us, and while I couldn't get my old job back, or one making the same amount of money, I could certainly get one that would support our spending. We have a great marriage and after years of talking about it, he's accepted that its going to happen...
I was that guy for about 2 years, I mean how could we ??
The difference was DW didn't show me numbers, just wanted to stop.
Once I ran the numbers all sorts of ways, including using less than we had, I realized she had been right 2 years ago
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

OP is MIA. Last post was 8/10. Perhaps he retired and is traveling.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Get fired. Enjoy life! Worked well for me (3 years ago today).

DW kept working for 2.5 years after I quit and then joined me.

As an added bonus, not having a job means you'll owe less for alimony and child support should your wife leave you (though caution: your wife's attorney will seek to have your income imputed as if you were able to return to work).