Join Early Retirement Today

E/R WannaB (soon!)
Old 02-11-2004, 01:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

E/R WannaB (soon!)

I've been exploiting this board for all its worth and the info both practical and psych is priceless. Better to learn from folks living the American Dream, rather than selling it.

Wife and I run a great but declining business in upstate NY. Two years ago bought a condo at Carolina Beach, NC. Now, we who have seldom ever taken a family vacation in 30 years, cant wait to get a week away at the beach.
Last week I bailed out of the stock market and am now repositioning my positions to support us for the next 35 years or so (no easy task). My biggest headache is finding affordable healthcare insurance and our biggest heartache is not wanting to leave a frail parent and grown children behind.
For us I fear the ER process will be an evolution not revolution. We'll likely ride the biz for another year or two. Visit the beach more and more frequently and eventually declare ourselves retired and out of this semi-retired purgatory.
But the tuna and the king mackrel are calling and its about time to put down the snow shovel. So keep those gems coming!

Bill
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: E/R WannaB (soon!)
Old 02-11-2004, 02:09 AM   #2

Hello Bill! We have identical headaches and heartaches
(grown children/frail parents, etc). No business of any
significance, but my wife still works and likes her
employer. Truly, it's a lot more tricky than I thought it would be, but well worth it. My senior yearbook from high school said "Anything for a quiet life" under my photo. Not there yet but I'm getting closer. When
guilt or remorse or excess frugality starts to
take over I remind myself that I am not going to live forever
and I'm not getting any younger. Works for me.

John Galt
Old 02-15-2004, 03:23 AM   #3

Right John, those are words to retire by. Guilt in leaving family and taking it out on oneself by excess frugality is a terrible but probably common thing. I say when the going gets tough, cut back on the wife's beer. Sounds like your advice is, buy the wife more beer! I think I like that.

Anyway, I've been combing the Vanguard site looking at index and REIT funds, calling my insurance guy and asking him for a "model retirement ins. portfolio" (that should be a pip). This is one huge process.

I feel like I'm fixin' to get ready to start thinking about doing something about retirement. Hell I WannaB retired! My buddies are catching 25 lb. snook in FL and I'm looking at the thermometer on a Sunday morn in upstate NY.... 13 degrees. Time to bring in more firewood, get the Sunday paper and make plans and dream dreams with the sweety.

Bill
Old 02-15-2004, 04:06 AM   #4

Hello BUMwannaB!

We have +7 degrees at the moment (northern Illinois), but it's sunny
with little wind. Big time warmup coming they say,
later this week. Trying to line up a fishing guide in
central Florida for the first week in March. Guy I called yesterday said it was 80 there!

My wife and I have always had the plan (we call it
the Margaritaville plan) to head south. I thought
we should do it in phases when we married in
Oct., 2001. Now, not so sure that was a good idea.
At the time, finding a new home, getting married and
moving 2 households seemed like a lot to bite off all
at once. Anyway, things don't ever seem to get simpler.
At least I no longer have a job to worry about. That's
a load off.

John Galt
Old 02-15-2004, 07:25 AM   #5

Hi John,

Our Margaritaville Plan pretty much happened all by itself since we have family in coastal carolina. Our house is there waiting for us. I need to get control of the assets, so I can disengage from the job and HEY! maybe become a fishing guide..... yeah, thats the ticket!

Stay warm,
Bill
Old 02-15-2004, 07:38 AM   #6

Go get 'em Cut-Throat! Tarpon in the Everglades? Isn't that off shore fishing?

Bill
Old 02-16-2004, 04:22 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

After two near death experiences (my heart actually stopped on the operating table with one of them) before I was 26 it didn't take me long to figure out I wanted to RE. There just has to be more to life than sitting in a cubicle and doing other people's bidding all day long. I guess that's why my favorite movie is Office Space.

Life is too short to live for the job...

-Jay
Old 02-20-2004, 05:41 AM   #8

Exactly right Jay,

R/E for me isnt happening fast enough. Right now I'm whittling down my hours. Used to be that when I lost a customer I was devastated. Now I celebrate. In the meantime I'm SEMI R/E.

bill
Old 02-21-2004, 02:17 AM   #9

C-T,

ITs Saturday! You and the missus should be on the way! Good luck with the tarpon. All the fishing I'll be doing is by watching ESPN.... Dont forget to take some pictures.

Bum