Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Early retired, age 36
Old 03-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Early retired, age 36

Hope to exchange experiences regarding residence-visa for retirees under 50/55, no family - depandants, no fortune to "invest".

Got 1200 eur after taxes until I am 65, + age retirement premiums paid by my north european goverment + updated over the decades to come with the detoriation of money / cost. Face difficulties with visas (non working), when investigating suitable countries for relocation. Seems as my kind of immigrant are very rare, or dont exist. Since most countries got limits, "must be 50 years or older". Mexico, South Africa will work. Australia, New Zealand, the US more uncertain.
Pepto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that amazing, Pepto, retired at 36. Welcome to the forum!

Have you seen signs of Spring yet?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You could retire as a pensioner in Costa Rica with $1000 per month minimum and get a residency visa. If I was single that's what I would do........surf all day, drink all night.........
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

This thread could give you a few leads:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...sas-23742.html

Oh and welcome by the way!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pepto, in case you haven't seen this site:

International Living - Retire, Buy Real Estate Overseas

It's definitely one you want to get to know.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Wow, that amazing, Pepto, retired at 36. Welcome to the forum!

Have you seen signs of Spring yet?
Thank you! Not many, but snow almost gone. Been "warm" last days.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow - you beat me! I retired at 39. Congrats!

Didn't know about age restrictions on residence visas - interesting. But since I just turned 50, I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I live in the US and have no plans to relocate but might visit overseas for extended periods.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
You could retire as a pensioner in Costa Rica with $1000 per month minimum and get a residency visa. If I was single that's what I would do........surf all day, drink all night.........
Oh.. Thank all for replying. What bout da gals, are they decent material för long term relations? Would it be possible to establish family et.c. , though not fluent i spanish.

Been considering Mexico, presuming they would understand english better, closer bonds with the US.
Can not recomend..
Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Can not recomend..

-
Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

(deleted some.. to private stuff)

I am a wine lover. In Costa Rica, are there heavy tax on imported wines? Maybe Mexico would be better, heard they produce decent domestic wines. Rarely exported, maybe also possible to buy US-wines. But again.. import-taxes?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Oh that's terrible! So sorry to hear that. Sorry you have to emigrate.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Retire" at 36. We should come up with a new term for this phenomenon. Any suggestions?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Retired retiree
Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Retired retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
"Retire" at 36. We should come up with a new term for this phenomenon. Any suggestions?
Well actually I been "retired" since 2008, 34 years old.

I will be retired two times, or more. Different part of my age-retiree savings and public-insurances will be activated at 55-65 years of age, then I lose my current retiree-income, and become an ordinary retiree.

Doubt there any suitable english term for such "phenomenom", which make it diffult to find correct type of visa to apply.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepto View Post
Well actually I been "retired" since 2008, 34 years old.

I will be retired two times, or more. Different part of my age-retiree savings and public-insurances will be activated at 55-65 years of age, then I lose my current retiree-income, and become an ordinary retiree.

Doubt there any suitable english term for such "phenomenom", which make it diffult to find correct type of visa to apply.
Is this a disability "retirement"?

Ha
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
What bout da gals, are they decent material för long term relations? Would it be possible to establish family et.c. , though not fluent i spanish.
The CR chicas down in the surfing areas we have been to are FINE looking, but since my DW wouldn't let me talk to any I can't speculate on the suitability for long-term relationships. I have a buddy from the states who moved down about 10 years ago, married a beautiful Tica and now has two kids and dual US and CR residency. So yeah, I guess if you find the right one the family thing would work.

Quote:
I am a wine lover. In Costa Rica, are there heavy tax on imported wines?
I don't remember what the wine prices are. I'm mostly a beer drinker down there. They make a few decent beers-- Imperial, Pislen and Bavaria come to mind, but I don't think they make any wine. I could be wrong on that.

If you're a rum drinker the local Ron Centenario dark rum is really good straight up on ice with lime. They also make a fire water called guaro from sugar cane, but it hurt me once and I don't drink it much any more.

Pura Vida!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Is this a disability "retirement"?

Ha
Medical, severe stress / "chronic" post-traumatic, in current habitate. Crime victim (commited by a psykopath, protected from prosecution by goverment claiming neuropsychiatric handicap)

I "won" after a half decade of debacle / juridical nightmare, in which the goverment booth represented me and IT-self. A tragic flaw in the system, lost my health + faith in society.

When living somewhere else, no stress. Are ex-military. Faith in the society wich to serve are crucial for motivation when working.

Though I am guaranteed full retirement until 65, when I become age-retired, I will be able (if I want) to work at least part-time within a few years. But doubt I will.

Yes, disability. handicap, no.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for explaining.

I hope things go well and you find a good place to live.

Ha
Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
The CR chicas down in the surfing areas we have been to are FINE looking, but since my DW wouldn't let me talk to any I can't speculate on the suitability for long-term relationships. I have a buddy from the states who moved down about 10 years ago, married a beautiful Tica and now has two kids and dual US and CR residency. So yeah, I guess if you find the right one the family thing would work.

I don't remember what the wine prices are. I'm mostly a beer drinker down there. They make a few decent beers-- Imperial, Pislen and Bavaria come to mind, but I don't think they make any wine. I could be wrong on that.

If you're a rum drinker the local Ron Centenario dark rum is really good straight up on ice with lime. They also make a fire water called guaro from sugar cane, but it hurt me once and I don't drink it much any more.

Pura Vida!
Will try, if getting there. Centenario, recognize it. Have seen it on the shop-shelfes in Spain.

Do you now the terms when renting "long term".. I guess something like this:

- min 12 month
- 1 rent advance
- 1-2 deposit
- 1/2 commision (if agency)

?

Kindly..
Old 03-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepto View Post
Will try, if getting there. Centenario, recognize it. Have seen it on the shop-shelfes in Spain.

Do you now the terms when renting "long term".. I guess something like this:

- min 12 month
- 1 rent advance
- 1-2 deposit
- 1/2 commision (if agency)

?

Kindly..
The rent thing looks about right. We are in the process of looking at a 6 month rental in England next year and expect 1 month in advance plus ~1 month security deposit. No commission as we are using Vacation Rental By Owner We have used VRBO several times now with properties in Maine, Colorado (next month), Quebec City, France, Spain and Guadalupe. All experiences have been excellent so far.

VRBO may or not work for you, just a suggestion.
Brittish pund tennant commission costa del sol spain
Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Brittish pund tennant commission costa del sol spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The rent thing looks about right. We are in the process of looking at a 6 month rental in England next year and expect 1 month in advance plus ~1 month security deposit. No commission as we are using Vacation Rental By Owner We have used VRBO several times now with properties in Maine, Colorado (next month), Quebec City, France, Spain and Guadalupe. All experiences have been excellent so far.

VRBO may or not work for you, just a suggestion.
I been living in Costa del Sol (Costa del rain, this year!) over the winter, 6 months. Same, mes fianza / deposit principe. Commissions there, if by agents, seem to have almost dissapeared. rental prices drop, mostly because brittish pound losing against euro.

During expansive times they charged 1 mes commission, last year 1/2 month commission from tennant, 1/2 from landlord. Now it is 100% commission by landlord + huge prospects of offering lover rent than advertised.

So.. Last years of credit-crunch, recent PIGS-euro debacle has with delay reached the California of Europe.

Will check VRBO, would be a great pain-saver for me to get in contact with an anglosaxian owner / landlord, when (if..) trying to establish myself in a latin-country.

Tags
india australia mexico