Early retired, age 36

Pepto

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hope to exchange experiences regarding residence-visa for retirees under 50/55, no family - depandants, no fortune to "invest".

Got 1200 eur after taxes until I am 65, + age retirement premiums paid by my north european goverment + updated over the decades to come with the detoriation of money / cost. Face difficulties with visas (non working), when investigating suitable countries for relocation. Seems as my kind of immigrant are very rare, or dont exist. Since most countries got limits, "must be 50 years or older". Mexico, South Africa will work. Australia, New Zealand, the US more uncertain.

Wow, that amazing, Pepto, retired at 36. Welcome to the forum!:flowers:

Have you seen signs of Spring yet?

You could retire as a pensioner in Costa Rica with $1000 per month minimum and get a residency visa. If I was single that's what I would do........surf all day, drink all night.........

Wow - you beat me! I retired at 39. Congrats!

Didn't know about age restrictions on residence visas - interesting. But since I just turned 50, I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I live in the US and have no plans to relocate but might visit overseas for extended periods.

Audrey

You could retire as a pensioner in Costa Rica with $1000 per month minimum and get a residency visa. If I was single that's what I would do........surf all day, drink all night.........

Oh.. Thank all for replying. What bout da gals, are they decent material för long term relations? Would it be possible to establish family et.c. , though not fluent i spanish.

Been considering Mexico, presuming they would understand english better, closer bonds with the US.

(deleted some.. to private stuff)

I am a wine lover. In Costa Rica, are there heavy tax on imported wines? Maybe Mexico would be better, heard they produce decent domestic wines. Rarely exported, maybe also possible to buy US-wines. But again.. import-taxes?

Oh that's terrible! So sorry to hear that. Sorry you have to emigrate.

Audrey

Retired retiree

"Retire" at 36. We should come up with a new term for this phenomenon. Any suggestions?

Well actually I been "retired" since 2008, 34 years old.

I will be retired two times, or more. Different part of my age-retiree savings and public-insurances will be activated at 55-65 years of age, then I lose my current retiree-income, and become an ordinary retiree.

Doubt there any suitable english term for such "phenomenom", which make it diffult to find correct type of visa to apply.

Well actually I been "retired" since 2008, 34 years old.

I will be retired two times, or more. Different part of my age-retiree savings and public-insurances will be activated at 55-65 years of age, then I lose my current retiree-income, and become an ordinary retiree.

Doubt there any suitable english term for such "phenomenom", which make it diffult to find correct type of visa to apply.

Is this a disability "retirement"?

Ha

What bout da gals, are they decent material för long term relations? Would it be possible to establish family et.c. , though not fluent i spanish.

The CR chicas down in the surfing areas we have been to are FINE looking, but since my DW wouldn't let me talk to any I can't speculate on the suitability for long-term relationships. I have a buddy from the states who moved down about 10 years ago, married a beautiful Tica and now has two kids and dual US and CR residency. So yeah, I guess if you find the right one the family thing would work.

I am a wine lover. In Costa Rica, are there heavy tax on imported wines?

I don't remember what the wine prices are. I'm mostly a beer drinker down there. They make a few decent beers-- Imperial, Pislen and Bavaria come to mind, but I don't think they make any wine. I could be wrong on that.

If you're a rum drinker the local Ron Centenario dark rum is really good straight up on ice with lime. They also make a fire water called guaro from sugar cane, but it hurt me once and I don't drink it much any more.

Pura Vida!

Is this a disability "retirement"?

Ha

Medical, severe stress / "chronic" post-traumatic, in current habitate. Crime victim (commited by a psykopath, protected from prosecution by goverment claiming neuropsychiatric handicap)

I "won" after a half decade of debacle / juridical nightmare, in which the goverment booth represented me and IT-self. A tragic flaw in the system, lost my health + faith in society.

When living somewhere else, no stress. Are ex-military. Faith in the society wich to serve are crucial for motivation when working.

Though I am guaranteed full retirement until 65, when I become age-retired, I will be able (if I want) to work at least part-time within a few years. But doubt I will.

Yes, disability. handicap, no.

Thanks for explaining.

I hope things go well and you find a good place to live.

Ha

The CR chicas down in the surfing areas we have been to are FINE looking, but since my DW wouldn't let me talk to any I can't speculate on the suitability for long-term relationships. I have a buddy from the states who moved down about 10 years ago, married a beautiful Tica and now has two kids and dual US and CR residency. So yeah, I guess if you find the right one the family thing would work.

I don't remember what the wine prices are. I'm mostly a beer drinker down there. They make a few decent beers-- Imperial, Pislen and Bavaria come to mind, but I don't think they make any wine. I could be wrong on that.

If you're a rum drinker the local Ron Centenario dark rum is really good straight up on ice with lime. They also make a fire water called guaro from sugar cane, but it hurt me once and I don't drink it much any more.

Pura Vida!

Will try, if getting there. Centenario, recognize it. Have seen it on the shop-shelfes in Spain.

Do you now the terms when renting "long term".. I guess something like this:

- min 12 month
- 1 rent advance
- 1-2 deposit
- 1/2 commision (if agency)

?

Kindly..

Will try, if getting there. Centenario, recognize it. Have seen it on the shop-shelfes in Spain.

Do you now the terms when renting "long term".. I guess something like this:

- min 12 month
- 1 rent advance
- 1-2 deposit
- 1/2 commision (if agency)

?

Kindly..

The rent thing looks about right. We are in the process of looking at a 6 month rental in England next year and expect 1 month in advance plus ~1 month security deposit. No commission as we are using Vacation Rental By Owner We have used VRBO several times now with properties in Maine, Colorado (next month), Quebec City, France, Spain and Guadalupe. All experiences have been excellent so far.

VRBO may or not work for you, just a suggestion.

Brittish pund tennant commission costa del sol spain

The rent thing looks about right. We are in the process of looking at a 6 month rental in England next year and expect 1 month in advance plus ~1 month security deposit. No commission as we are using Vacation Rental By Owner We have used VRBO several times now with properties in Maine, Colorado (next month), Quebec City, France, Spain and Guadalupe. All experiences have been excellent so far.

VRBO may or not work for you, just a suggestion.

I been living in Costa del Sol (Costa del rain, this year!) over the winter, 6 months. Same, mes fianza / deposit principe. Commissions there, if by agents, seem to have almost dissapeared. rental prices drop, mostly because brittish pound losing against euro.

During expansive times they charged 1 mes commission, last year 1/2 month commission from tennant, 1/2 from landlord. Now it is 100% commission by landlord + huge prospects of offering lover rent than advertised.

So.. Last years of credit-crunch, recent PIGS-euro debacle has with delay reached the California of Europe.

Will check VRBO, would be a great pain-saver for me to get in contact with an anglosaxian owner / landlord, when (if..) trying to establish myself in a latin-country.

Will check VRBO, would be a great pain-saver for me to get in contact with an anglosaxian owner / landlord, when (if..) trying to establish myself in a latin-country.

No guarantee that you'll get and English speaking landlord or owner :cool:

In Guadalupe, in Martinique, and in Spain, my wife had to do all the communication in French or Spanish (including when we actually arrived and met the owners).

Duty-free upon arrival

When investigating prospect-countries, to start a new life in, I like to check out the hipermercados. Found this in Costa Rica.

Bienvenido a Auto Mercado

Seems as wine are not Costa Ricas strongest attraction, when comparing with Argentine, South Africa, Australia, Uruguay, Chile.

However, this is just one out of many variables. A minor one. I guess access to sweetwater, pacific- and caribeean fishing would be of greater importance for me.

On the net I found traces of duty-free goods shopping upon ARRIVAL in Costa Rica. Not common.. and they mention wines + cuban cigarres.

No guarantee that you'll get and English speaking landlord or owner :cool:

In Guadalupe, in Martinique, and in Spain, my wife had to do all the communication in French or Spanish (including when we actually arrived and met the owners).

Money are the real lingua franca. In Costa Del Sol they want to be latin, but reallity force those catering non-latin (90%) expats to produce at least some part of the deal in a mutual understood language.

Foolish as I was.. I didnt protest when singning some documents in spanish, which I had to regret later. Water, Endesa (electricity) meter-readings was manipulated, lost aprx 50 - 100 eur.

Costa del sol landlords know every trick, and a few moore, how to earn some extra pesetas when making long term contracts.

Owner-direct seem more thrustworthy

Ps. Endesa of Spain are a nightmare to communicate with.. Ds.

We have rented several housed over the years using vrbo. The houses we rent can be a little pricey since they are in a surfing/turisty area. However, we rented a huge 4 story house with a bad ass outdoor living area last summer for 2K per month which I didn't think was that bad for what the house was. Had a separate appartment on the first floor and a lookout deck on the fourth. House slept 10. All the houses we have rented were owned by gringos so Spanish was not a problem. Stuff is much cheaper in the Central Valley I think.

I understand early retirement from a fruitful career. I'm not sure I understand early retirement before a real career path is actually entered.

Can someone explain what one does when one retires so very early from the work world?

Z

Back
Top Bottom