Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Earned a name change - RE complete
Old 06-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Posted previously 47yo, FI, debating RE from mega-corp. Very hard to walk away from work family that's slogged through some huge successes and nice pay package that's still meaningful to net worth. However, stuck to my plan to decide at some point time > more money. Announcement is complete. Really looking forward to flipping #1 priority from mega-corp to family and self. Kids 9 and 11 years old so can seize few more years of quality time before they get independent.

Decision and announcement was very surreal/emotional process. Gave couple months notice, but most consumed during confidential phase by boss ignoring situation and then preparing transition plan. I ended up voluntarily extending notice period so public notice wasn't compromised completely. At this point, happy its short as very emotional and unproductive. Hard to deal over and over again with "why" and "how" at 47 this is happening. Of course, true answer is worked hard, spent less than earned, and very blessed, but not everybody gets that. Lot's of consistent feedback: surprised, sad to see me go, happy for you.

Big thanks to this forum of like minded folks who were part of my inspiration.

I have a couple more weeks of work. Going be a while before every day feels like Saturday.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIsItTime View Post
Going be a while before every day feels like Saturday.

Congratulations!

Funny thing about Saturdays- I don't really look forward to them! I look forward to the weekdays when there are fewer people in the stores or out and about.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Mazel tov! Fantastic work making this happen - two weeks will fly by in a flash
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats! My recommendation to anyone here, is don't give more than a month's notice, and usually, not more than 2 weeks. My office started wanting to notify clients and start a transition plan, even though my earliest planned date was to be 6 months later. Lesson learned. Hopefully, won't ever get the chance to use the lesson again!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have a couple more weeks of work. Going be a while before every day feels like Saturday.
Congrats and good luck!!
FWIW, Like a lot of early retirees, I think the 'every day feels like Saturday' implies a remnant of your (soon to be) old work self.

After a while though, "Saturday" will no longer mean a 'non-working day'; it will mean 'that's when the mall/streets/beach/club/lake is packed with people mid-day'.

For me, when 'every day feels like just another day' is when you are fully, truly retired and free of your old work context. It might take a year or two but that's when I knew I was completely free of my old self and fully retired.

YMMV
Old 06-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Congrats! My recommendation to anyone here, is don't give more than a month's notice, and usually, not more than 2 weeks.
In my old place, "Two weeks notice?! Two hours should be enough time to clean out your desk" was a common response.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Great! You have done well getting out of the game as young as you are.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Congratulations!

Funny thing about Saturdays- I don't really look forward to them! I look forward to the weekdays when there are fewer people in the stores or out and about.
+1 plus usually cook Sat night as it is the only night with large restaurant waits.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
In my old place, "Two weeks notice?! Two hours should be enough time to clean out your desk" was a common response.

I understand different roles (especially sales folks) may be treated differently than IT or business folks. The only time I’ve seen this done was when a problem-child employee gave notice (I recall it happening twice in my 27 years). In both cases (at different companies) the employee was paid for the 2 weeks. I think I’d dance all the way out the door if they handed me a box after giving notice!

Edit: the real question, for the OP: what’s your new username going to be? Congrats!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! It must be exciting to be that close to retiring. I do wonder how I would stay motivated at the office if I was that close to leaving.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Congrats!

And I agree very few people need to provide more than 2-4 weeks notice despite what they want to believe. I gave more just as a courtesy to my boss and asked him to keep it to himself, but he went public immediately, which was bad for all concerned.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Congratulations!

Great point! I have so much to learn!
Old 06-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMan View Post
Congrats! It must be exciting to be that close to retiring. I do wonder how I would stay motivated at the office if I was that close to leaving.
Yes - this is one of the really weird feeling to experience. 20+ years at full-tilt. I announce this to team and closest co-workers and I'm immediately ready just to disconnect. Couldn't imagine a long transition.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Great!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Yep. Once gave 2 week notice and was fired on the spot. I complained to HR and boss had his hand slapped. He then stuck me in a windowless room, dropped about 30 fat files on my desk and told me "OK smarta__, you will spend 8 hours a day reviewing these files, with only lunch and two 15 minute breaks. It will be like this each day for your two weeks." I promptly resigned. Lesson learned.....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Posted previously 47yo, FI, debating RE from mega-corp. Very hard to walk away from work family that's slogged through some huge successes and nice pay package that's still meaningful to net worth. However, stuck to my plan to decide at some point time > more money. Announcement is complete. Really looking forward to flipping #1 priority from mega-corp to family and self. Kids 9 and 11 years old so can seize few more years of quality time before they get independent.

Decision and announcement was very surreal/emotional process. Gave couple months notice, but most consumed during confidential phase by boss ignoring situation and then preparing transition plan. I ended up voluntarily extending notice period so public notice wasn't compromised completely. At this point, happy its short as very emotional and unproductive. Hard to deal over and over again with "why" and "how" at 47 this is happening. Of course, true answer is worked hard, spent less than earned, and very blessed, but not everybody gets that. Lot's of consistent feedback: surprised, sad to see me go, happy for you.

Big thanks to this forum of like minded folks who were part of my inspiration.

I retired 2 years ago at 47 with a 7 and 10 year old. Like you, I did well at megacorp, gave nearly 6 months notice and walked away from significant golden handcuffs. However, I had planned and prepped for many years. It was the best decision ever! I am so glad I have been able to spend this time with my kids before they get too independent. I have also been able to help my parents out more as they age. My golf game is coming back, my guitar playing is way better and I am finally making progress on my 69 camaro. Best wishes to you and your family, congrats!
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congrats - enjoy the kids when you are able ! We never regretted the decision for DW to stay home full time (almost) to care for our two Tax Deductions until they both became high schoolers (coincidentally, the same time the Outsource Reaper came knocking on my door).

Take more videos and pics, do more stuff together as a family (vacations, family visits/get togethers, BBQs, eating out, whatever). Father Time waits for nothing.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Yep. Once gave 2 week notice and was fired on the spot. I complained to HR and boss had his hand slapped. He then stuck me in a windowless room, dropped about 30 fat files on my desk and told me "OK smarta__, you will spend 8 hours a day reviewing these files, with only lunch and two 15 minute breaks. It will be like this each day for your two weeks." I promptly resigned. Lesson learned.....
Are you kidding? Isn't this a form of harrassment? This must have happened years ago? I cannot see this happening today
Old 06-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKickItForward View Post
Are you kidding? Isn't this a form of harrassment? This must have happened years ago? I cannot see this happening today
Eh, I can, especially in smaller companies. Either way, my guidance is you never give your notice unless you are ready and prepared to be told "that's ok, you can leave right now."
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #20

Good for you - you're going to love it! It did take a while for me to wind down, and I also don't really enjoy Saturdays like I used to. I dread getting out when everyone else is, and avoid it at all costs.

There's something very satisfying about going to a movie on a Tuesday afternoon, or wondering through an uncrowded outdoor shopping area and lunching on a pleasant day.

You'll get the hang of it!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote