Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
You don't pipe the side for "any sailor".
How many U.S. Navy retirement ceremonies have you attended?
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #42

None. Why?

To the best of my knowledge, the US Navy doesn't pipe the side for common sailors, or commissioned officers not holding commands. Retirement status doesn't, or at least shouldn't, affect that.

It certainly isn't the practice in the Royal Navy (the font of all significant naval customs and traditions), or any other White Ensign navies.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:15 AM   #43

I think we are talking past one another.

In the U.S. Navy, the only people that get piped ashore and returning are the CO, flag officers and dignitaries.

But, it is also traditional at the end of a retirement ceremony, that any sailor can be piped ashore as the final act of a long and distinguished career. It is honorary. And quite moving.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:37 AM   #44

Congratulations. Enjoy your retirement.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
In the U.S. Navy, the only people that get piped ashore and returning are the CO, flag officers and dignitaries.
Thank you.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Awesomeness!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, congrats!

Did the same thing in 1986 when I quit the federal government, & started my own consulting company. I've been choosing my own hours & what I do, ever since.

Feels good, doesn't it?
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:00 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

I recommend you take one last walk around to all the places in your office/job site that mean anything to you and purposefully contemplate your final departure. Take the time to remember all the experiences and the people you interacted with. Smile a little, tear up a little, then take a deep breath and let it all go. It helps (helped me anyway) with the transition. Kind of like losing a significant other or old home, retiring has a lot do with separation anxiety in the beginning.

I’ve been retired just over three months, planned meticulously for it for seven years, left on my own terms and still have the occasional , “Oh crap! I’m late for work!!” Moments. I’m happy to say they are being replaced with, “Oh crap! This is freaking awesome! Why didn’t we retire earlier?”

Welcome to the retirement pool, the water here is just fine and the people are great!

JQ
Old 12-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Misspelled subject line. I think you meant to type End of Sh*t.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote