Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like the signs or notices that say different things in English and Spanish or scolding warnings written only in Spanish. At the local mexican restaurant, the bill says "No Incluye Propina" in bold lettering on the receipt just below the total, but nowhere does it say "Does not include tip". This restaurant serves 95% English speaking people I would say. Tipping is much less in Mexico and sometimes not required especially where service is relatively simple. So I guess that is why they make it clear to the Spanish speaking customers that tip isn't included.

There there's the inflatable jumping house they had at a community festival in our neighborhood park. Probably 50-60% of the kids are native Spanish speakers. In English the sign said "Be Careful". In Spanish it said "Be careful. No flipping or acrobatics. Do not climb the walls." Why the additional warning required for the spanish-only speakers?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
What does burrito mean to Spaniards? Little donkey/burro?
Thatīs it. But if you ask a Spaniard if he wants to eat a burrito the chances are 1. Heīll think you are kidding him. 2. heīll be baffled. 3. heīll have a vague idea that itīs some sort of Mexican food, which by the way isnīt too popular around here.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
One thing we all learn from living in Texas is that just because someone is Hispanic does not mean they actually speak any Spanish. I know a lot of people named Sanchez and Martinez who can't speak a word of Spanish.

Plus, after generations of being surrounded by English speaking culture, a lot of Hispanics who grew up in Spanish speaking households use a lot of slang words that aren't in any Spanish-to-English dictionary. Around here people parque el troque rather than estaciona la camioneta, we go to eat lonche and not almuerzo, and our floors are covered with a carpeta rather than an alfombre.

And then there is Spanglish, which is a random smattering of English, Spanish and American slang Spanish all thrown in together by people who don't speak Spanish very well. A radio station will give a traffic report by saying, "Hay un choque just west of I-10 and Beltway exchange, tiene cuidado alli." Or, to steal a bit from George Lopez, "Sabes que tia? I went to the store to buy those zapatos that I liked, pero estaban gone! Todo! Estaban todo sold out!
You are absolutely right.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Absolutely. Adding to that, if they have Hispanic features they are not necessarily Hispanic. The color of my eyes, hair and dark skin tone causes some people to immediately start speaking to me in Spanish.

I know some Spanish, but when it comes to my work at the police department, I let someone else handle that responsibility.

Listening to that on the radio cracks me up!
Your avatar certainly belies your looks...!
Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #25

Any one up to a Tex-Mex quiz?

1. Here's a typical greeting you'll never figure out from using el diccionario:
Quote:
Que onda buey?
2. What city is known as "San Quimas" (Phonetic, unsure on spelling).
3. Which city is called "El Chuco"?
4. What is La Feria
5. Who/What is La Placa
6. What is a cuete?

Una Negra Modelo to the first to guess it's correct translation. You have to come get it in person though.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Any one up to a Tex-Mex quiz?

1. Here's a typical greeting you'll never figure out from using el diccionario:2. What city is known as "San Quimas" (Phonetic, unsure on spelling).
3. Which city is called "El Chuco"?
4. What is La Feria
5. Who/What is La Placa
6. What is a cuete?

Una Negra Modelo to the first to guess it's correct translation. You have to come get it in person though.

La Feria: Isnīt it some kind of fairground?
La Placa: The Police?
I think Iīm better at English than at Mexican. At least I hope so given the hours I put in reading/listening to English.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #27

Okay, only one contestant and I don't have to give up any of my birrongas (beer).

Most of this is not Mexican slang, but rather originated in El Paso, Texas in the period right before and after World War II when young Mexican American kids were struggling living in two cultures and not completely identifying with either. Mexicans called them pochos, which is "bad fruit", and the name eventually morphed into Pachucos. Long story short, they identified with not being accepted by either Anglo Americans or Mexicans and created their own culture. It included slang words that only they understood. The language of the Pachucos spread across the Southwest United States through the Pachuco subculture, into the gang subculture, and eventually throughout the Mexican American population as far away as Los Angeles and Chicago. The Pachuco culture has given way to that of the Cholos, but they share the same language.

Think of the differences in English as it is spoken in the US and England, or Australia, and you get the idea. Same language, but words take on different meanings in the usage, and some new words are created that are unique to one country.

Answers: 1. Que onda buey literally translates to something like How (are the) wave(s) young ox? In Tex Mex it is a common way to say What's up dude?

San Antonio is also known as San Quimas. El Paso = El Chuco

La Feria is money

La Placa is the police

Cuete is short for cohete or rocket and means a pistol.

One of my favorite aspects of Pachuco language is the use of rhyming, kind of like Cockney English but somewhat different, and in Spanish of course. Examples include, Al rato vato (= Later dude), or Que te pasa Calabaza?

There are plenty of people who speak proper Spanish in the U.S., and there are at least as many who speak Spanglish, but both groups, with the exception of new arrivals) will use Pachuco slang when hanging out with their friends and in other informal situations.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I think "Que onda buey" is slang used throughout Mexico and the US to mean "what's up dude" like you say. I know I heard it plenty while down there from the younger people and I hear it up here on the East Coast USA. Maybe they received the word from the Cholos?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #29

Quote:
I think "Que onda buey" is slang used throughout Mexico and the US to mean "what's up dude" like you say. I know I heard it plenty while down there from the younger people and I hear it up here on the East Coast USA. Maybe they received the word from the Cholos?
That could be the case. Given that pieces of American culture get adopted all over the world, and all the cross border movement across the Mexico-US border, I wouldn't doubt that Pachuco language/slang is cropping up in a lot of Spanish speaking countries and especially Mexico. All of the MS-13 guys who wound back up in Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, etc., certainly took a lot of it back with them.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #30

Quote:
That could be the case. Given that pieces of American culture get adopted all over the world, and all the cross border movement across the Mexico-US border, I wouldn't doubt that Pachuco language/slang is cropping up in a lot of Spanish speaking countries and especially Mexico. All of the MS-13 guys who wound back up in Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, etc., certainly took a lot of it back with them.
That lingo hasnīt arrived here yet. At least in this part of Spain. With all due respect I find it awful.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Keep that Castilian pure!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Keep that Castilian pure!
Hear Hear!