Join Early Retirement Today

ER Butterflies
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

ER Butterflies

Hi everyone! I've lurked around the forum for a few months and this info is great stuff. You guys are awesome! It's helped me get enough courage to move toward ER since I'm in a position to ER. I've worked since I was 14 (child labor) and will be 60 in a month. Corporate life doesn't do anyting for me anymore and I sit here at home on Monday morning instead of out slaying dragons. Just not interested anymore. Don't get me wrong, I have a great job and that lends itself to the OMY syndrome. International travel is now boring and in fact all travel is now boring and I try to avoid it if at all possible; sending my reports instead of me. I have more than enough to do after ER so it's not like I don't have an activity plan. And the DW (55) has 2.5 years until full teacher retirement with healthcare benefits, etc.

So here I sit, reading forum post, trying to get my head around transitioning from 45 years in the work force to ER wonderland. My short-term goal is to be able to put my name on graduating list of the Class of 2013.

I like this problem.....

When I think about ER, I get butterflies in my stomach. Is this normal?
SailorEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! And butterflies, at least in my case, are common. G/L on getting out this year.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Butterflies are normal because we all are creatures of habit and resist/fear change. Just do it. I can almost guarantee you that you will be uncomfortable for a while, but that discomfort will pass as you enjoy your new-found freedom to do whatever the heck you want to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe this will help a little with the butterflies. After you have worked 46 years it is not exactly EARLY retirement. It may also help to run your numbers through FIRECALC and other retirement calculators.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome SailorEd. I'm thinking of ER this year also, but I have wicked butterflies. I'm only 50 so I have 10 more years than you do for things to "go wrong". We can run the numbers all we want, but at the end of the day we have to remember "no guts, no glory". I just read the story of the 52 year old soccer mom who had a stroke at her sons game and died .... how awful it would be to die before retiring ! I'm trying to convince myself that the best thing I can do is to not work one more day than necessary !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
Of course. I'm 60, ER'd 6 years. These have been some of the best years of my life. I had a good friend die at age 64 who was going to w*rk to 65. That kinda summed it all up for me. I can't control when I'll die, but I can control when I retire.

My DW has 3 years to go to get her teacher's card punched, but she loves having me home to do all the stuff she would be stuck with if I was w*rking. YMMV
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Thinking of work will give you butterflies after you are retired.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!!!! You will not regret it at all....coming from a semi retired person
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum, Ed.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

I think your ready. Sounds like you've positioned yourself and I'm sure you've run the numbers. At this point I would concentrate on the nonfinancial aspects. Explore your interests and find new opportunities. Keep us posted on how you make out.
I'm trying to get to your point within the next 1 1/2 years. However I know how you feel on Monday mornings.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Understand completely. I'm FI but not ER. However mid 50's & gettin' close. I get the Butterflies thinking about ANY of my options. I have a great paying j@b & get B's thinking about giving that up. Then I think about w@rking another yr or 2 & get B's thinking about losing those precious few yrs left of my life (or at least my decent health). Lately I've been attempting to arrange a few months time off as a "trial ER", but even that gives me B's since I haven't been off w#rk (or FT school) for that long since summers of jr high (8th or 9th grade). I think it's normal to feel uneasy about any major life change.
Good luck with your decision, Sailor. And welcome aboard!!!
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #12

Butterflies are normal, and they probably won't go away for a few months after you ER. When our lives are wrapped up with our companies, breaking that tie is uncomfortable and difficult for most of us no matter how ready we are to go.

Even though I knew and had independent validation that we were FI and I could RE, it was hard in many ways. But I am SO glad I did it.

Best wishes for a smooth transition for you!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum. Pull the plug in your own good time. The butterflies will continue until you do and then probably switch over to when you imagine returning to work as Lazarus says.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
My short-term goal is to be able to put my name on graduating list of the Class of 2013.

I like this problem.....

This is a good goal, take my advice as one who fell into the OMY trap, do it.

Oh by the way, welcome to the site.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, SailorEd.
I am 58 and will in a few weeks be part of the class of 2013, having worked for Megacorp for the last 33 years. The butterflies are absolutely normal. Perhaps one additional perspective is, whenever you start to worry about one of the perceived disadvantages of retirement (eg loss of status), ask yourself "will working for a few more years make things better or worse?". After all, we will have to retire at some point...
boatfishandnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatfishandnature View Post
After all, we will have to retire at some point...
You don't have to retire. You can die on the job.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Normal? It would be abnormal to not have the butterflies. I spent 40 years working and can't tell you how nice is it to get up when I wake up. And I am amazed at how busy my days are. When did I have time for life while I was working?

One thing I recommend, since your DW still has to work, take over some of the household chores like cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. Give her a win from your retirement. I will work wonders! Though not married I have a GF. I did things like stay at her home when a repairman was expected, made dinner for her after work, even picked up some visiting relatives at the airport. She was very appreciative.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Butterflies are normal because we all are creatures of habit and resist/fear change. I can almost guarantee you that you will be uncomfortable for a while, but that discomfort will pass as you enjoy your new-found freedom to do whatever the heck you want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Welcome to the forum. Pull the plug in your own good time. The butterflies will continue until you do and then probably switch over to when you imagine returning to work as Lazarus says.
Perfectly normal, and I can't say it any better than these two already have...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

I found going into retirement to be a big step into the unknown, complete with butterflies. And while I had some concerns and still do to some extent (I miss the comfort of a a check coming in every two weeks) the benefits of retirement have been immense. It was one of the best decisions of my life.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Ed, I am 56 and retired 7 weeks ago and I love it ! I had developed all sorts of alternatives in case it was not working out.. Now I would not consider going back, my plans are working out fine my days are full no need to work again ! Good luck in any decision you make.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote