Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingout View Post
It has struck me as ironic that problem employees get a generous severance while loyal long-term employees get none.
My thought exactly, HeadingOut! And while ethical people like you and me seem to be screwed, I don't think it's unethical to call out the injustice and try to work out a way to give the loyal long-termers a fair shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
. . . your mgmt would catch on pretty quickly if you had been a highly productive and good worker and then all of a sudden you produced garbage work. In my megacorp, this would mean that I had reason to fire for cause, . . .
Rambler, I'm thinking now it will play out in a much more reasonable fashion if I tell them up front that I'm thinking of retiring soon, and would be open to an early-retirement package. From that point on, they'll be alert to any signs that I'm even slightly less enthusiastic and dedicated than before (hey, she's not working through lunch, not staying late, not volunteering for extra assignments!). And they'll realize they're paying a lot for someone whose life no longer revolves completely around work, who is no longer an A player. And since being a merely-average performer is not grounds for firing anyone, an early-retirement package might start to seem like a win for them too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I would not try to get fired (the bad kind). I would also not tell my boss. If you tell your boss, then it may affect the assignments you get and the decisions he makes about your short lived career with this company. I was a contractor for most of my career and once they gave me the usual 30 day notice, we called it 'dead man walking'. Why spend the last days with megacorp like this. It got a little depressing to be excluded from certain meetings, projects, training, etc.

With this economy, I would think the probability of another rif is in your favor and you can jocky for that path when it is announced.

You may also want to work part time later for this company.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I understand the temptation but it is, in effect, a form of fraud. The choice to go for it would probably feel a lot easier if your employer treated you poorly but you say they treated you well. You might get away with it but would you feel right about it?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyOrNot View Post
My thought exactly, HeadingOut! And while ethical people like you and me seem to be screwed, I don't think it's unethical to call out the injustice and try to work out a way to give the loyal long-termers a fair shake.

Rambler, I'm thinking now it will play out in a much more reasonable fashion if I tell them up front that I'm thinking of retiring soon, and would be open to an early-retirement package. From that point on, they'll be alert to any signs that I'm even slightly less enthusiastic and dedicated than before (hey, she's not working through lunch, not staying late, not volunteering for extra assignments!). And they'll realize they're paying a lot for someone whose life no longer revolves completely around work, who is no longer an A player. And since being a merely-average performer is not grounds for firing anyone, an early-retirement package might start to seem like a win for them too.
That is pretty much what I did my last 6 months. I didn't get an early-retirement package, but they did let me take a 1 year leave of absence to see if I could get may heart back in the job. I didn't....

At times I felt frustrated of being out of the loop, but there is a lot of really interesting things on the internet and it was good training for ERing
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyOrNot View Post
...I'm thinking now it will play out in a much more reasonable fashion if I tell them up front that I'm thinking of retiring soon, and would be open to an early-retirement package. From that point on, they'll be alert to any signs that I'm even slightly less enthusiastic and dedicated than before (hey, she's not working through lunch, not staying late, not volunteering for extra assignments!). And they'll realize they're paying a lot for someone whose life no longer revolves completely around work, who is no longer an A player. And since being a merely-average performer is not grounds for firing anyone, an early-retirement package might start to seem like a win for them too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
I would not try to get fired (the bad kind). I would also not tell my boss. If you tell your boss, then it may affect the assignments you get and the decisions he makes about your short lived career with this company. I was a contractor for most of my career and once they gave me the usual 30 day notice, we called it 'dead man walking'. Why spend the last days with megacorp like this. It got a little depressing to be excluded from certain meetings, projects, training, etc.

With this economy, I would think the probability of another rif is in your favor and you can jocky for that path when it is announced.

You may also want to work part time later for this company.
I guess it depends on if the company downsizes on a regular basis. In my case I told them I wanted to volunteer for a RIF. They said no, because I was too valuable. I pointed out that it would preserve the job of another employee, and that I would be so unhappy if I wasn't allowed to leave under those terms that my work could suffer. In the end I got the RIF, then was hired back later as a contractor for a while. Personally, I don't see how being excluded from a meeting could possibly be depressing if you are in a FIRE mindset.

I would talk to the bosses, let them know what you want and see what they can offer. You might get more than you expected, and the worst that could happen is you end up quitting whenever you feel like it. I don't see the downside.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just walk into your office with pajamas and slippers on and see how it pans out.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Like others on this thread, I vote against trying to get fired. A lot of my retired friends have come back as part time consultants. Most are doing if for the companionship rather than the money. I learned long ago to never burn any bridges because sometimes you have to cross them going the other way.

Also, in my case there was a significant year end bonus that is prorated to retirees if they leave with an "acceptable" performance rating.

I also don't think its wise to tell anybody that you're thinking about retiring until a RIF actually is announced. I made the mistake of telling my boss that I was considering it. Heard 3 months later when a RIF was being discussed that the management team had discussed my situation and decided to keep me in place. Apparently they thought that I'd likely leave without the retirement incentive and concluded that they could eliminate my position when I pulled the trigger. Just one more way for them to save a dollar.

My company required 60 days notice. If I'd done it over, that's all I would have given them.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

The same thing happened at my company: Less competent people were let go and given a generous package, while the rest of us slaved away with a heavier work load. It was hard to watch my former coworkers enjoying the summer off while I was busy all the time at w*rk!

I thought about goofing off to see if I could be laid off, but decided 1) it's really not worth it to my dignity, 2) If I goof off, someone else would have to pick up my slack, 3) never burn any bridges, and 4) I would have to be nearly completely unproductive for my company to do something. So instead, I landed a new job and quit my old j*b last week. It's true that when you resign, you get nothing. But my pride was intact, which in retrospect, was important to me.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #29

I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I think that if I were you, I would probably talk to my boss candidly, saying something to the effect that you were considering retiring in the next "couple of years or so" and would be happy to volunteer for the next RIF so that the jobs of people who perhaps may need them more may be saved.
R
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with the people who said not to try to get fired. My company had an early buy-out right before it was taken over. If you stayed and gambled that you would be one of the thousands that were let go after the buy-out, the package was more. A couple more years was added to your age and service for your pension. Depending on your situation this could have added a lot or a little to it.

I was just a year and a half shy of the age to take the early retirement package. I would have very much preferred to have taken it though it would have cost me 3% of my pension.

The reasons I feel this way are:

1) Having no control over what was happening to me was very stressful.
2) I couldn't plan for it since I didn't know what was going to happen. The early retirees got a least a month or more to make plans and "adjust".
3) Even though you know you didn't do anything "wrong" going through the process with HR and my boss felt "awful". Instead of celebrating 30 years of my "working" life ending and a new beginning, I had 15 minutes to "clean out my desk". It still hurts a little when I think about it.

which brings me to:
4) I'm not one for parties but I missed out on the company sponsored retirement party that they had for people. I went to a few for other people and the really nice thing about them was people who you used to work with (that you had forgotten about) showed up.

plus I didn't get any of the "fun" people had saying good-bye, knowing they were retiring and that great "I'm going on vacation forever" feeling.

Some of this might sound petty but until you actually go through it, you don't know how you will feel. I liked my job and the people who I worked with. Maybe that makes a difference.

Your boss knows by your age that you are probably a "short timer". My two cents would be go to him/her and explain that you like working there but you wouldn't mind a package. That way if they do need to downsize they will keep you in mind but they don't know when you plan to retire.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Ready, this was posted on the ER.org Facebook page. Maybe it will help.
How to Get Laid Off: A Step-By-Step Guide | Wise Bread
Having seen that article, particularly the second half, I now know what quite a few of my colleagues have been reading.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Finances aside, in my opinion, I think there's some satisfaction in leaving on your own terms. I think if you are ready to FIRE, then if the megacorp just happens to offer a retirement package, then that's just icing on the cake. On the otherhand, if you can go "Read or Not, I'm FIRE'ing on my own terms..." that's rewarding too in itself.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't understand the talk about getting fired. OP said people who were laid off got severance.

I agree with others who say if the company treated you well then don't try to get let go just for the severance.

You said ER in 2011. I have a suggestion, based only on my personal experience. When I knew my last job was in fact going to be my last job I adopted a 'don't worry, be happy' attitude. Ignored office politics and gossip. Focused on the parts of the job I enjoyed and put minimum effort and time into the rest of it. Ignored pressure to work harder (I was a computer programmer who knew many studies have shown that when programmers work more than they want to the bug rate skyrockets. On past jobs I usually ignored the pressure, but this time it didn't cause me stress). Turned out I liked the job and income enough to postpone ER. But, if I'd been offered a severance package during that period ....
Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Take the high road and be patient if you can. Worked for MegaCorp 30 years age 56. Started telling upper management that I wanted to slow down and thought it would be good to help in some transition type projects to help in the case I was gone. In return I only asked if RIF was ever available, "Please feel free to pick me" They swore THAT would never happen!! Age 58 2009 the BIG RIFs came, and while they were apologizing I was smiling: Going on second year and life is so great. Freedom to do so many things while I am still young and health and the early pension checks just keep on coming. I felt like I left with dignity, pride and a lot of friends thankful that their new roles were easier to manage because I trained them to replace me for two years.