Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
Congrats! Post again in a bit, and I bet you'll tell us how much you're loving life! Thanks for the update.

Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Congratulations. It is very natural to be nervous. Change is hard, even good change.
+1, well said. Best of luck "coping" (the OP)!

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I could offer a bit of advice based on our ER'ing on May 1st 2008 - just before the last stock market collapse.

Understand your investments, asset allocation and policies (ie. when to rebalance, how much to withdraw etc) in depth. You REALLY need to understand and be comfortable with this because your belief WILL be tested. It is much easier to deal with a market slump when working than when you're not. Even if you use an investment adviser, be certain that you've studied (not just read) the literature that supports your plan. Don't rely on just what your investment manager says - do your own independent research. (There's plenty of links to books here and on bogleheads)

All the very best to you.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
Congrats! Now you can enjoy the 1st day of the rest of your life and be free!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I should have looked at the date before I wrote the long comment lol
If money is the root of all evil I want to be a bad man
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe
Awesome, Way to go!! Enjoy!
Punxsyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by coping View Post
Hey everyone, I thought I'd give an update.

Tomorrow is my last day at MegaCorp!! I am so excited.

In my original post I mentioned that I was thinking that I'd leave last year. I was very burned out but was also worried about having enough money (among other things). I decided to stay one more year and while the burn out is even worse, the market did well!

I'm still nervous about all this, but I am also ready to see what the future holds. As my last day has gotten closer, my nerves have been getting worse and worse. It seems strange given that this is really what I want. But 22 years at the same company is a long time and I know I will have a time adjusting. They are having a retirement party for me tomorrow and I'm sure that will be a bit emotional. All that said, I'm ready for the challenge of the change.

I wanted to thank you all again for the great advice and support last year. It really helped me gain the courage to make this move. I hope to become more of a "regular" here now that I'll have more time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Sounds to me like you are ready. Remember, life is short and you only go this way once. I worked for a mega corp for almost 30 years and made a very good salary, especially the last 6 to 8 years. I was about 10 years older than you when I finally retired and had many of the same fears. Almost 3 years into retirement now and none of those fears have been realized. These days, I don't why I was so concerned. Of course YMMV.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets
Congrats, that is awesome!

Daniel J is offline   Reply With Quote