Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

FI and nearly RE - Newbie
Old 01-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FI and nearly RE - Newbie

We'll here we are..Married, both mid to late 50's. House paid off (275k), no debt, 900k in taxable accounts, 1mill in tax differed. No kids at home and college all paid for. Sold business and working there for a while till we can transition out. 400k in "other" assets which includes some owner carry-back on the business sale. We've been saving for 30+ years and we live comfortably on about 75k / year.

Health insurance will surely be our biggest expense, but with the ability to juggle our income by drawing from taxable accounts, we should be able to keep our "income" low enough to qualify for health care tax credits.

I've been reading these threads for a few years and finally decided to join in. So, HELLO!

Fireorbust
fireorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello!

Come on in. The water's fine.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks,

Looking forward to enjoying what we've been saving for. Our Time!

Fireorbust
Old 01-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats on the retirement, you will wonder why you didn't test the water sooner!!

Best to you,

VW
Old 01-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

2.3mill .. assuming the 75k includes insurance you should be doing great with just 12-20 years until SS carries a big part of that balance. Congrats!
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

75k covers us if we can get ACA tax credtits. Even at 85K / year, we are still at 100% on every monte carlo sim (based on 6% ROI /2.5 inflation). Once we get to SS, we'll be double fine. Selling a business is different than "retiring" from a job. You sell a business when you can, not necessarily when you want. Luckily, we were able to do both at the same time.

fireorbust