Join Early Retirement Today

FI and planning to retire in 2014
Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

FI and planning to retire in 2014

Hi

DH and I are planning to retire in early 2014. We will be 41 and 37 with two small children aged 3 and 6.

We have been planning for this from the beginning of our marriage 14 years ago and it's very exciting to be able to almost taste the freedom.

We will have around 1.5M in invested shares that will pay dividends and we may also purchase another home with this as we will sell our current one.

We also have another real estate investment that pays around 8k per month that we own outright.

It's scary as we have so many years left and two children to support. we are giving up large incomes from our own business, but we would prefer to now focus on investing time with each other. We may start another business later on with no staff that can be operated location independently.

We plan on travelling for 1-2 years before making any big decisions about where we may settle. We may not come back to Australia or we may choose another country, or many countries.

At this stage we just need to decompress from our working lives and enjoy each other. Once our headspace has settled we will make decisions based on who we are then, rather than who we are now.

I have been reading these forums for a while but have now just signed up and feel comfortable with posting.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard, butterfly!

Sounds like you're doing great and are soon to be off on some great new adventures.

omni

Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the sounds of a real estate investment that pays $8K a month and your nice nest sized nest egg. Congrats!!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome and congratulations! ! --Nomad
Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #5

+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad4hire View Post
Welcome and congratulations! ! --Nomad
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks everyone.
These boards are great and I am learning so much from everyone.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome and contratrs on your FI. Will you sell your business or will it operate by itself and send you 'dividends' your way?

Great success
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
Welcome and contratrs on your FI. Will you sell your business or will it operate by itself and send you 'dividends' your way?

Great success
We wanted to keep it but finding staff to manage it has been proving extremely difficult. To say the least!

So we will be putting it on the market and selling it, if it doesn't sell we will keep it. We would earn a lot more per month by keeping it than selling it and investing the profit, but we really want to distance ourselves from the stress.

Thankyou for your welcome.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome and congratulations! It does seem scary having such a long time horizon, but having owned your own business, you probably have a lot of skills and resources to start another business if needed as a plan B.
DH and I are close to your age, but need a few more years of savings before we retire. We plan to dabble in areas that might make us some money, but more as a hobby or part-time business.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats and welcome. It sounds like you have a terrific future ahead of you!!! FI at such a young age must be nice.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!
I'm curious - what kind of business it is and do you know why you did have a hard time to find right staff?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

great job building assets!
can you tell us about the 8k / mo real estate?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Having younger kids and a longer time horizon, being as young as you are, can give one pause...but if you've done your due diligence and ran your scenarios thru various Retirement calculators and feel fairly comfortable about your "chances" for a successful retirement, then go for it. As someone else posted, there is always a Plan B with your business, if Plan B is needed down the road...although I hope not.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #14

How secure is your real estate investment; is that pretax income; what are your estimated expenses; college funds for kids; health insurance/care cost; and you plan to cash in part or all of your investments for another house and lose the income potential?

These would be my personal concerns.

Welcome to the group